Brainlessly bash former Jet employee, Brian Schottenheimer

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by ThunderbirdJet, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

It takes our young QB 58 minutes to figure out what the D is doing.

2. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

This thread causes me dizziness...Fucking Schotty

3. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

So Schotty got blown off the ball and didn't open the hole for his RB?

4. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Not for nothing, but lack of reasoning =OK on political threads...But, isn't figuring out what the D is doing, the job of the guy actually calling the plays?

Just askin?

5. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

Schotty is the worst offensive coordinator and play caller in the league, if not the history of organized team sports.

if you disagree in any way, shape, or form you are either a troll or know nothing about football.

thanks.

6. Brunell's Debt

Brunell's Debt New Member

Schottenheimer isn't even the worst offensive coordinator that we've had in the past decade. But for what it's worth, based on all the 3rd and 10 draws I think that Paul Hackett was either a troll or knew nothing about football.

...you're welcome?

7. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

joke, or just retarded?

8. JetRizing89

JetRizing89 Well-Known Member

he needs to stop with the pussy screens and draws on 3rd and long and let mark take shots

we have playmakers at every position and we need to utilize them and not run the ultra conservative offense, mark isnt the rookie qb anymore

9. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

Don't see why it can't be both.

10. ........

........ Trolls

Wow. How insanely shortsighted and uninformed. Jurgen Ferlerligson is widely recognized as the worst play caller in the history of organized team sports for his infamous career as the OC of the Bjergen Fjurgenkurgens, aka the Curling United Norwegian Team. I'm absolutely flabbergasted that anyone could not know that.

11. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

No, but Shotty is the one who gave our best RB who was running very well at the time only one carry from 2 yards out. That is the unforgivable part to me.

12. JCotchrocket

JCotchrocket Active Member

Of course. I'll never forget the '92 Curling Cup. Never.

So much blood...

13. AJayJay

AJayJay New Member

58 minutes is correct because the other 2 mins are when our young QB is running hurry up offense and actually moving the ball with competent play calling.

14. bloke911

bloke911 Active Member

The Jets will actually use the new Madden 2011 play calling feature for all the plays in the red zone.

15. egelband

egelband Well-Known Member

this is what i think...need to allow the players to make plays sometimes. you need to tell the line sometimes to 'just get us two yards' on a fourth down rush. i'm sure they do that on first and second down, but try it on third and fourth a bit more. can't always outsmart the other team, can be good to exert will

16. Brunell's Debt

Brunell's Debt New Member

In some situations Schottenheimer should make more aggressive play calls, but in a lot of cases the short gains on 3rd down are on Sanchez. It's not like Schottenheimer instructs Sanchez to go out there, sit in the pocket for 5 seconds, then dump the ball off to LT right before the pass rush gets to him--either the receivers downfield don't get open or Sanchez doesn't see them, so he makes the safe play instead of trying to force a throw and risk a turnover.

I think that I speak for most Jets fans when I say that I'm happy with Sanchez's progression from year one to year two, and I'm optimistic that he can make a big leap this season.

What sets me apart from most Jets fans is that I think that he's made that progression with Schottenheimer/Cavanaugh/Ryan's help, not in spite of the coaching staff.

17. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

I heard that the new Madden 2011 will automatically default your play call to some useless call Schotty would make for your situation every two and a half plays. :breakdance:

18. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Very well. The problem really comes down to the play calling on the 2nd down. I think NFL crew exclusively touched this last season - this problem was that glaring. If a layman like myself can see the problem, then for someone who works in that field, it cannot go unnoticed.

To me, 2nd down is a set-up down for 3rd down, and possibly 4th down. Thus, you must make sure you can get that 4-5 yards on this down. This minimizes the level of gamble offense has to put up in order to convert on the next 3rd down. In short, of all 4 downs, unless you got 7+ yards on 1st down, this is the most conservative downs of all.

So what does Schotty do on 2nd down? He dials up 50 yards down field bomb, which usually is incomplete. (Ok... 50 might be an exaggeration - but you get the point.) The 2nd down offense has been nothing short of brutal. (Not that other down - and - distance play calls were much better, i.e. going 50 yards bombs *AGAIN!* on 3rd and short is a very good example.)

Or is Sanchez making the right read? If that down field receiver is the only receiver he could find open, then I cannot really blame neither Schotty nor Sanchez. Just, it takes a long while for these kind of plays to develop, (like Hobbes would quip "the passing plays take 3 full days to develop") and usually Sanchez is in a hurry. It is for this reason, that I think the blame goes to the play calling, more so than on Mark. This clearly shows Schotty couldn't come up with easy quick hitters that would allow Mark to 1. complete easy pass and 2. get good 4-5 yards per attempt. And of course, Schotty is the one conjuring up the offensive plays. If he doesn't take the fall for the ineptitude of this offense, then I don't know where the blame has to go to.

#2318 Zach, Aug 12, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  19. ........

........ Trolls

This is an excellent post. My problem is more with the calls on 2nd down than 3rd down. If we're supposed to be a ball control offense (and we have been, although our identity may change this season), we haven't been acting the part for 2 straight years. The Patriots offense is built on short yardage. It's an incredibly effective system which Brady executes phenomenally. Aside from 2007, they also struggled when they moved away from the system, hence the departure of Moss and return to a short passing game this past year.

Don't get me wrong, I love big passing plays, but it's integral to get into a rhythm, and Schotty has trouble sometimes with maintaining that rhythm. I don't have a problem with safe plays on 3rd down. Again with the Patriots, Kevin Faulk has made a career out of taking screens on 3rd and long for 1st downs. However, with a young QB, it's important for us to limit those situations. I'd like to see the emphasis this year on Sanchez being efficient. Forget yardage, especially those people thinking he's going to throw for 4000 yards. The most important number as far as I'm concerned is that completion percentage. With our defense, controlling the ball and TOP is going to be huge. The rest will follow from that.

Schotty is far from the worst OC in the league. Everybody complains about 3rd down playcalling, but those complaints are true for just about every OC in the league. He's been average: at times below, at times above. We're all hoping that Tom Moore can correct the former.

20. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

No, he had the easy job, just call the play.