2011 New York Jets Free Agency Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mr Electric, Jul 19, 2011.

1. ........

........ Trolls

I could see them upgrading from Cole. I don't think Morgan or Felix make the 53 man unless, in the case of the latter, we're resigned to losing Rob Turner next season. Payne would likely only make it if we went to 7 WRs, although he could conceivably steal the 6th spot and send Scotty McKnight to the PS.

2. ManlyGenius

ManlyGenius New Member

If not those guys than Dixon or Tevesau or Mauga or whoever the end of the roster guys are. Tanny and Rex aren't afraid to experiment with the end of the 53.

3. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Clint Session left, but they replaced him with Ernie Sims. They also signed Tommie Harris.

The Colts never make big move though.

Once Peyton Manning's done, they'll be a bottom feeder for a while.

4. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

Bob Sanders is now a Charger but considering that he's played 3 games for the Colts the past 2 years they really aren't missing him.

In fact I think it was a stupid move for the Chargers, if he does manage to stay healthy that would be a great signing.

5. Vorrecht

Vorrecht Active Member

I agree. Unlike the Patriots (unfortunately), the Colts don't really have a team outside of Peyton Manning. Once he retires, the Texans will probably win that division a few seasons in a row and then it's all Titans and Jaguars (assuming Locker and Gabbert don't bust).

6. Brunell's Debt

Brunell's Debt New Member

I think that Blaine Gabbert is gonna be a solid NFL QB.

Jake Locker is gonna be a fucking disaster.

7. Vorrecht

Vorrecht Active Member

I actually have the opposite opinion. Blaine Gabbert has absolutely no pocket presence. If you watch him play, he acts like he's going to get sacked every other play. He's got that "David Carr" deer in the headlights look about him (without having to get sacked a hundred times). Locker on the other hand has no accuracy but at least he looks "natural" back there, plus he's a good scrambler so that should help him early on in his career. I think most of these QBs got overdrafted this year based on the fact the need was so high.

8. ........

........ Trolls

I can see it happening, but I could also see them being happy at this point with developing those young players. We have a few guys who have spent time on the PS or inactive list who are going to be counted on to earn their spots now. I think our 46 is nearly set, with some question marks like 5th WR, Bellore, McIntyre, and the aforementioned Cole. I think Dixon and Mauga both make the active roster. Tevaseu could be a weekly scratch, but I could also see someone coming in to take his spot. The 7 inactives are definitely up for grabs. I'm guessing Powell and one of the receivers take spots, and likely McElroy as I think the team uses the new active spot on a different position. Should be interesting to see how guys perform in the preseason trying to secure those final spots.

9. PoPo

PoPo Member

What do you guys think of signing Roth? Thought i saw he wants a 1yr 3mil.

10. IATA

IATA Trolls

he can go fuck himself

11. PoPo

PoPo Member

fair enough

12. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

I've been mentioning his name for the last week. A veteran OLB that can get us at least 5 sacks with the D-line we have. No way we pay $3M though.

13. PoPo

PoPo Member

I think it could be a solid signing for some depth and the ocassional pass rush

14. ........

........ Trolls

So, a veteran OLB who can give us fewer sacks than Thomas and a hobbled Pace did last season? What an upgrade!

15. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

Not an upgrade, but depth to keep players fresh and just incase an injury happens.

We are low on OLB depth behind our starters, and he would fill the spot left that Taylor filled last year. Problem is Roth wants $3M and the Jets would probably only pay $1M.

16. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Westerman will at the very least pick up where Taylor left off.

17. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

I'm hoping he steps up as a pass rusher.

If Garrett McIntyre makes this team, I'll expect good things from him mainly because of his motor. He may not get to the QB on every play, but he'll get there eventually.

18. Franchize

Franchize Well-Known Member

I never said anything about going and getting big name FA.
    1.We were weak at safety...we still are
    2.We were inconsistent in our passing game...we may have taken a step back receiver wise
    3.We had zero pass rush...we're relying on 2 rookies (one who may not even get to play) to provide an instant impact (not saying they can't but it's a risk)
    4.We have very little quality depth on the D-Line...We got 2 promising D lineman but lost a quality veteran
    5.We had arguably the worst O Coordinator in the league...he's still here (my biggest problem with our team!)

Before you jump down my throat...read what I said.I NEVER said go out and get a bunch of big name guys.I just have a problem with the fact that our safety position still hasnt been addressed among other LITTLE things!We're still a playoff team with a shot.To me,when you're right @ the door,do something to kick the bitch down...don't knock lightly.

We have to play the Pats @ least 2 times and they clearly got better.
    The Ravens lost McGahee but got Ricky Williams.Living in the MD area I've seen 1st hand,Torrey Smith is lightning quick.
    Pitt killed us with their slot receivers.We're HOPING Wilson got better and Strickland plays well.
    Bottom line is, these teams beat us last year, so if they stay the same and we stay the same then we didnt get better than them!!!

Not to mention our kicker was suspect in alotta games and we re-signed him.Im not saying we did poorly this summer.Getting Holmes alone put us on the positive side of the ledger.I just feel that we panicked with the Holmes signing and failed to replace guys we let go.We're gonna be relying on rookies to play a huge role right away.Thats ALL I'm saying. I'm a new poster so I came on this board and observed things.I dont get how my post gets immediate backlash when I've seen some others that make ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE go untouched....like the "drew coleman and eric smith are solid players" arguments.Relax!

That being said,I agree.Sanchez improving is going to be the key...especially since we kept Schotty for some insane reason. We're gonna also have to hope Plax and the rookies answer questions early in a positive way.

#3498 Franchize, Aug 9, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  19. ........

........ Trolls

^ The "Drew Coleman and Eric Smith are solid players" argument goes untouched because they both WERE solid for us last season.

20. Franchize

Franchize Well-Known Member

OK so clearly me wasting time arguing with you is dumb on my part.The fact that you've been a poster longer than I am is the ONLY reason I won't win that argument. Coleman absolutely sucked and so did Smith.If you don't realize that then you don't know shit about football or don't pay attention to these guys.So go ahead and recruit your fellow long time posters to help you out and hit me with stats about Coleman's tackles and sacks.#1 he gets tackles because he's always giving up completions.Thats the main thing he's out there NOT TO DO! #2 He gets sacks rushin the QB form his blind side untouched.Westerman and Dig can do the same thing and theyre basically special teams guys.As for Smith...where do you even begin.He's always lost in coverage.He's slow footed and supposedly he bulked up crazy this summer which means he'll probably be even slower.