2011 New York Jets Free Agency Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mr Electric, Jul 19, 2011.

1. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

I think that some of the guys who we might cut could be worth using in a trade or trading out right for a 7th round consideration pick, yet in this compressed off season we may have to just cut them. One of our deepest areas is at LB and we will have to let a couple go. Teams not only will sign then for their tallent, but also to drill them for any information they can (ala Patriots, Dolphins).

Guys guaranteed on roster:
    Harris, David LB 6-2 250 27
    Pace, Calvin LB 6-4 265 30 9
    Scott, Bart LB 6-2 242 30 10
    Thomas, Bryan OLB 6-4 260 32
    Westerman, Jamaal LB 6-3 255 26 3

Guys who should be on the roster and have a year experience in the defense:
    Laury, Lance LB 6-2 242 29 (ST ace and good depth guy.)
    Mauga, Josh LB 6-1 245 24 (Came on strong at end of season.)

Guys who have been impressing Rex and are making it worth worth consideration for final roster:
    Bellore, Nick LB 6-1 250 22 R Central Michigan (Rex loves this kid and even said he wanted to draft him.)
    McIntyre, Garrett LB 6-3 255 26 1 Fresno State (Rex gave him some love in the press over the past week.)
    Toal, Brian LB 6-0 238 26 1 Boston College (Small LB for a 34 team, but good motor and hitter. More highly rated coming out of college than the other two above.)

The others in camp are long shots at best and probably would need an injury to happen. Right now I would say Bellore has the edge to be our 8th LB on the roster.

2. BonScott

BonScott Active Member

^is Laury on the squad? thought he was on a 1 year deal last year

3. ........

........ Trolls

He was. We didn't re-sign him.

4. ........

........ Trolls

It's a good thing Laury's gone since this guy would have us stack 5 ILBs on the depth chart and only keep 3 OLBs.

5. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

So is Satele back to running his pizza stand?

6. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

Just a week ago, Tannenbaum said they were gonna make more moves. Since then, the only thing that happened was Mason. They can say they're capped out all that they want, they ain't done.

7. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

Tanny also didn't say anything would happen now, I could see them making a move around week 4 depending on how things are going.

8. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

Can see that being the case, also.

9. pcmodem

pcmodem Member

Didn't we also sign a blocking tight end? Or did that not wind up happening. I expect any additional signings to be camp bodies / depth at this point, thats for sure. We've got enough moving parts to jam in with less than a week to go to the first preseason game as is!

10. Franchize

Franchize Well-Known Member

For a team that was on the doorsteps of a SB, we sure aren't very proactive this offseason.We retained and replaced people which is good.However,while we did things to remain the same, other top teams in the AFC did things to get better.Us=reactive Them=proactive. Im not saying we did poorly this summer but I'm somewhat cautious. Unlike others,I still think there are a few moves that need to be made.

11. ManlyGenius

ManlyGenius New Member

I expect some moves Week 1 after a bunch of teams cut guys.

12. ........

........ Trolls

What position do you feel we should have better addressed? With which players? We spent last offseason and this offseason building and retaining the core of our team. We re-signed all but one of our key free agents (I'm not counting Braylon since he flipped). We maintained our depth and drafted for the future. The one position where we have a demonstrable weakness is at OLB, but the CS is high on Westerman and the FA options at the position were scant at best.

People are complaining about the lack of big name FAs coming in because we've been fortunate enough to acquire solid players over the past couple of years. However, we're at a different stage of the process right now, at a point when it's much more prudent and necessary to develop our young players surrounding our core.

13. newcomer

newcomer New Member

A week ago it was reported that the Jets were 8-9 million under the cap. Since then they traded out Cotchery contract for Mason saving another million. Is it confirmed they have almost 10 million left to spend? Listening to Rex the other day he made it spound like they were capped out. Does anyone know the real cap number?

14. ........

........ Trolls

I don't think we're going to see much movement at that point. At least not any big splashes. Maybe some PS guys. We're set on offense. I doubt we'll see any additions there unless our blocking TEs don't work out in camp and the preseason.

As far as the defense, I could possibly see us bringing in another OLB, but anyone worth his salt isn't getting cut. I don't know that we'll find a need for help elsewhere unless the team chooses to pick up another corner.

15. ........

........ Trolls

Nope. There have been some guesses, and Jason from nyjetscap.com estimates about 10 million before Mason. Rex saying we're 'up against it' doesn't necessarily mean that the team doesn't have space under the cap. It just may have plans for that space pending any necessary moves prior to the start of the season.

16. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

The bolded part answers your question. We came out flat in the first half, had we not who knows what would've happen.

We had a championship roster last year and the same this year. We added depth to our line, gotta trust Rex, which I do.

Cro & Wilson will be that much better.

At the end of the season our current group of receivers will be looked upon as an upgrade, until that point I expect most Jet fans to cry about it.

Again as I've said numerous times, a huge upgrade made will be our very own QB. Instead of FGs in the redzone we'll be getting TDs.

17. ManlyGenius

ManlyGenius New Member

We're not wildly far apart-I wouldn't expect them to bring in a starter-but I could easily see them upgrading a few of the sports from 43-53 on the roster. The DaJuan Morgan/Marquice Cole/Logan Payne/Robby Felix/Kroul types.

18. pcmodem

pcmodem Member

I totally agree with Ignatius - now that we're past the big signings, its easy to forget that coming out of last season we had no idea who we'd be able to retain, I know all my pats/dolphins friends were acting like we wouldn't be able to sign anybody. Now they are just as afraid of the jets as they were last season. I think we did a great job retaining core people and adding some intriguing pieces, but then again I never wanted Aso and wasn't the hugest Braylon fan.

19. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

I don't agree, unless you are simply looking at the Pats bringing in some DL guys and #85.

The Ravens? McGahee, Heap, Mason, Gregg...gone

The Steelers? Not much going on with them other than Randle El leaving.

The Colts? Lost Session in the LB corps, don't remember them making many moves, then again they rarely do.

Who else?

The Chargers? resigned most of their own players. Sproles walked.

20. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

Fixed for clarity.