Pats sign Shaun Ellis

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Aug 7, 2011.

1. ........

........ Trolls

I never said he didn't have money. I said it's foolish to assume that he's so set for life that $500k means absolutely nothing. He doesn't have to be a fool to be in a position in which he can appreciate some extra cash. Like I said, I know plenty of players who did all the right things with their money, saving it, living well within their means, and then went into the downturn and lost millions. These players wait for the day they become at least partially disabled from their playing days, especially those in the trenches. If I were them, I'd try to squeeze every penny I could as well.

We all love to preach loyalty, but we're coming from a very different perspective. We love the team and we don't stand to gain anything from players departing. There's no other motivation for us, but the players have multiple reasons to play, and multiple reasons to choose a team to play with. Who are you to criticize his priorities?

2. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

Pats fans are only excited about this because he was an 11 year Jet.

Shaun basically got 4.5 coverage sacks, not exactly losing a ton there.

Along with our draft picks, Pitoitua is back, Dixon is supposed to make an impact this year as well.

With our improved line hopefully a 100% healthy Pace can have a double digit sack season. The past 2 years he's only played in 12 games, last year he had 5.5 sacks in those 12 games despite playing injured.

We were 8th in the league in sacks, which isn't exactly the big issue the media likes to make it out to be. The Pats were much worse off then us. They were 15th in the league. Their lack of pass rush killed them in the playoffs, where they couldn't just rely on Brady to put them up 30 points. Pats did a good job of bringing in Vets in this shortened offseason, I still think Fat Albert will blow up in their faces though.

Back to the Jets, what goes unnoticed too by many outsiders is that our sacks come from everywhere. Rex said the other day the we had the most amount of players with a sack in the entire league.

3. patfanken

patfanken Banned

You are exactly right. In all the years the Pats were going deep in the playoffs, they always were in the top 5 in sack. But in all those years but 2007, they NEVER had and INDIVIDUAL player who had double digit sacks. The best defenses get their sacks from all over the field. You don't NEED an elite individual to have a lot of sacks. Most fans, including most Pats fans don't get that.

The most over rated stat on defense is Total D - The Pats won superbowls in 2001, and 2003 despite being ranked 26th and 24th in total D. BTW in both those year they were ranked in the top 5 in scoring D.

#443 patfanken, Aug 8, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  4. Mr3rdDown80

Mr3rdDown80 Member

Eff you Shaun Ellis!

The impact here is not gonna be what he brings on the field, but its gonna be the knowledge of our defensive schemes that hes bringing to NE. Same goes for Jason Taylor. Its like Miami sent him to us for one year as a spy. Belichek is going to squeeze out every drop of knowledge from Ellis. I bet that was his main thought while signing him.

5. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

That would've been nice but we have Devito, and coaches too thankfully.

6. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

Is anyone watching ESPN First Take, Shaun Ellis discussion?

For ONCE Skip makes some very valid points (other than saying that he thinks we're taking a step back)
    and I like the rebuttal from Chris Broussard.

7. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

ClaytonESPN John Clayton
    It's easy to see why Shaun Ellis went to NE. Jets offered him $910,000 on a one-year. Patriots offered him $4 million and $1 M incentives.

8. ........

........ Trolls

Holy shit. That'll do it all right.

9. JetRizing89

JetRizing89 Well-Known Member

ellis got 5 million from the pats

in that case i understand fully now why he left the jets

10. firemanedjr

firemanedjr Active Member

Wow. I mean, he did dominate in that playoff game, but that seems rather steep.

11. ........

........ Trolls

Forget rather steep. That's absurd.

12. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

This is wrong. The pats were in Sub-packages 57% of the time and in 3-4 44% of the time. A sub-package doesn't mean 4-3. With the Pats it could mean 2 DL and 5 LBs or some other weird configuration.

I'm sure the rest of the post had alot of good info though.

13. JetRizing89

the drawstring on his hoodie must be tied too tight and its cutting the circulation off to his brain

14. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

Offered or getting?

If he really is getting this much I have to agree with letting him walk.

But was him doing a money grab due to us low-balling?

15. Vorrecht

Vorrecht Active Member

That's insane. This is the same guy that many of us were saying looked like he was standing in quicksand last season. If not for that one dominant game against New England, there's no way they would have paid him that much.

16. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

Anyone care to demonize the front office or Ellis now?

4 million for his production is crazy. Can't blame him for taking it, can't blame Tanny for saying no fucking way to matching it.

17. CurbYourEnthusiasm

CurbYourEnthusiasm Well-Known Member

Beyond absurd. I thought he'd get 2M max from NE. 4M plus incentives could bring it to 5M, for someone who's no better than a rotational player at this point in his career. Pass.

18. JetRizing89

to ellis credit he is still good against the run but a 34 year old d lineman who has been in decline for a good 3-4 years isnt worth anywhere near that money

19. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

Maybe those guys don't like winning or maybe they think they're worth more then they are. Based on the season Ellis had last year he isn't worth much more then the Vet min. So what he was a pro bowler 2 years ago. He was in a contract year last season and he still barely registered a blip on the radar screen with the exception of the Pats playoff game.

You don't reward guys on what they did 2 years ago or what they did 8 years ago. You pay guys based on what I think your gonna do for me in the future. The same people raising a stink about how we disrespected him because he was a lifelong Jet are the same people who would be yelling and screaming if we paid some 26 year WR old who stunk last year but had a 200 yard game in the playoffs. It's the same thing other then the uniform.

20. JetRizing89

we have to find out though if its guaranteed because otherwise he could get cut at the end of camp and itll cost em nothing