2011 New York Jets Free Agency Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mr Electric, Jul 19, 2011.

1. rock316nyj

rock316nyj Member

Jets sign OLB's Eddie Jones and David Herron....Jones seems to have some nice potential, especially since we are extremely thin at the position....

EDDIE JONES
    6-2/258
    Texas Senior
    40: 4.75e

PROS:

Comfortable playing with his hand off the ground. Has a good first step and flashes speed off the edge to turn the corner. Has nice closing burst to finish the play when he gets around the blocker. Shows decent speed and range and can make plays in space and pursuit near the line of scrimmage.

CONS:

Lacks size and will get pushed around by NFL offensive linemen. Tends to rely on his speed rush and first step to be effective, and doesn't do a good job disengaging. Can get caught out of position against the zone read and lose outside contain. Can be late reacting to the snap.

OVERVIEW:

Jones flashes the speed and potential as a pass rusher, but isn't the more cerebral player and lacks awareness. Jones came to Texas as a top recruit, but spent three years as a backup to guys like Orakpo, Acho, Kindle, and never really emerged as a starter until his senior year. He tallied 52 tackles, 10 for loss, and 6 sacks that year. Other three years as a reserve and situational guy, he had a combined 59 tackles, 14 for loss, and 7.5 sacks. Also had 2 INTs, 39 pressures, and 1 defensive TD during his career.

NFL FORECAST:

Jones has the tools that you're looking for in a rush linebacker in a 3-4 scheme. But he's still pretty raw and I don't like the fact that he didn't really shine until his senior year. But he has the first step and speed to think that with development, he can get better and potentially impact. He needs to improve his awareness, and I didn't really see him drop in coverage. But if he was to develop in a scheme where he would be used primarily as a pass rusher or run defender, and not be forced to play too much in space, then I'm not sure it would be a major obstacle. THe main thing with him is that he's not good enough to impact early, so he'll have to produce on special teams early on. He should be able to stick there because he played that quite a bit during his first three years at Texas. If he can get two or three years on the bench and develop in coverage, then he has a chance of sticking long-term and challenge down the road as a starter. Otherwise, he's going to be a guy that his NFL value is only going to go as far as his special teams prowess carries him. If he develops, he'll be more of a stopgap guy that can give you 4-6 sacks like a Tully Banta-Cain.

2. casman02

casman02 New Member

I read a few places that he has constant injuries, but if he stays healthy it sounds like he could be serviceable. Worst case scenario he could always start a pizza stand iNY

3. Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos Well-Known Member

I Hope so.

4. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Eddie Jones was great for the Hornets and Heat.

5. Franchize

Franchize Well-Known Member

Lakers too!

6. Prince of Thieves

Prince of Thieves New Member

Weatherford and Coleman had great seasons. They have a legion of haters on this board, but Weatherford was top-notch during the regular season, and I'd love for someone to name a dime back on any NFL team that had a better season than Drew Coleman.

These guys aren't crippling losses by any means, but "addition by subtraction" is very simply not the right phrase to describe them. Strickland should replace Coleman fine, and hopefully this new punter works out, but Coleman is a pretty good fourth corner and turned out to be a successful draft pick considering where he was selected.

7. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Strickland > Coleman, Weatherford choked in the playoffs

8. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Jones only missed two games in college because of injuries.

9. casman02

casman02 New Member

I think they were more constantly nagging injuries than anything serious. If he stays 100% healthy I think he could surprise people.

10. theBidet

theBidet Active Member

i've missed a few things recently, what happened to dig? is there still any possibility?

11. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

The Jets said they aren't interested.

12. Franchize

You cannot be serious:rofl: Coleman was absolutely TERRIBLE. I cant count numerous games where teams purposely targeted him.Coleman was a victim. There were games where it looked like the play in the opposing offense's huddle was "it's going to whoever Coleman is checking".

Weatherford was bad too.It's bad enough our offense constantly put our D in tough field position but Weatherford's shanked punts made it even worse.

13. dwalsh

dwalsh 2006 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

this is the first time I've seen these numbers, but I probably just missed it elsewhere on the site.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/peter_king/08/08/tour/2.html
    Stat of the Week

What the Jets offered Nnamdi Asomugha both stuns me and doesn't surprise me at all.

All along, I though the Jets offered Asomugha more than the Eagles, who signed him to a four-year deal worth $12 million a year. Not so.

The Jets, I've learned, offered the object of their cornerbacking affections a three-year, $30-million deal -- salaries of $8 million this year, $10 million in 2012 and $12 million in 2013.
    There was a fourth year to the deal, but an inflated, phony year neither side ever planned to honor. So the Jets, now paying Darrelle Revis $11.5 million a year over four years (there are three phony years on the end of that deal), would have capped Asomugha out at $10 million a year.

Stunning because the Jets wanted Asomugha so bad, and because they offered $10 million a year over three years in real money. Not surprising because the Jets didn't want to give another corner more than Revis gets ... and set the stage for both corners combining to make 20 percent of the team's salary cap in the coming years.

Interesting that the mega-market for Asomugha never developed. "I never believed the numbers people were throwing around about me,'' Asomugha told me at Eagle camp Friday. He was right: Some team may have offered more than Philly's $12 million annual deal, and I hear one team did. Maybe Houston. Maybe Dallas. I don't know. But I do think I'd be very surprised if the Jets thought they'd get Asomugha with a three-year, $30 million offer.

14. Franchize

I think we still have moves to make.Not saying we need to panic but I dont get how Tanny is comfortable with the roster given the fact tha we've taken a step back @ a few positions.

15. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

Coleman was FAR from terrible.

Please stop.

16. BK_Jetsfan

BK_Jetsfan New Member

Water under the bridge now, but if this info were released before there's no way anyone would have gotten their hopes up that we'd get him (or maybe that's just me).

17. Spike_D

Spike_D Active Member

Coleman had a pretty damn good season overall, and Weatherford had an outstanding regular season. Weatherford didn't have an outstanding post season which is probably why he is gone (although if you hear his interview after signing with the Giants it sounds mutual) .... Coleman left for an opportunity to have a chance to compete for a starting job, and will be the nickel at worst in the Jaguars revamped defense.

Everyone is welcome to their own oppinions, but its hard for anyone to take you seriously if you come out and say solid players were terrible.

18. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

Which is insane btw.

19. CurbYourEnthusiasm

CurbYourEnthusiasm Well-Known Member

Coleman had 37 solo tackles, 5 forced fumbles, 4 sacks, and an interception as the #3/4 cornerback on this team last year. If you think those are terrible numbers, then there really isn't much to say...

20. HCoftheNYJ

HCoftheNYJ New Member

Of course they targeted Coleman — by definition, whenever he was on the field, he was one of the worst defensive backs out there. That's what a dime back is.

Few other Dime-package players were better last season — evidenced by the fact that Coleman was signed during the opening days of free agency, and given a significantly increased role and a big raise.