Pats sign Shaun Ellis

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Aug 7, 2011.

1. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

The Jets offered him a contract.

2. LWC611

LWC611 Member

I am going to guess that the Pats offered a better contract. Good for him. The Jets should have wanted him to end his career a Jet.

3. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

At the end of his career Troy Brown was cut by the Patriots and offered a contract by the Jets. He retired rather than join the enemy....just saying, everybody has their own way of dealing with this shit.

4. maynardsmyhero-uk

maynardsmyhero-uk Well-Known Member

The future is Mo Wilkerson , Rtoti pittabread, kendrick ellis , sione pouha and devito.

Fuck Ellis and he can prove his point when Brandon Moore and hunter have bitchslapped him around Chowderville

5. Jets4eva9011

Jets4eva9011 Well-Known Member

Terrible Terrible Terrible move

You mean to tell me we couldn't have offered Ellis 3 mil (veterans exception from future cap year or whatever it is) for 1 year??

I never have questioned Tanny but this offseason wasn't good at all.

Shame, cause it would have been nice to see Ellis win a ring in a Jets uniform after all the years he gave us.

6. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

obviousoly this is really disappointing not only to lose Shaun(though we are ok w/ him) but to see him go to NE. This is sort of like dolphin fans seeing Taylor come to us last year only worse b/c Shaun was a career Jet. Hopefully he's watching us hoist the Lombardi in february.

Bryan Thomas will now have a chance to be a part of more Jets postseason wins than any player in Jets history w/ our next playoff win.

7. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

ugggh.......... this sucks to see.

but for those hating on #92: if your boss let you go, then wanted you come back at a cheap price, but your main competitor offered you a better salary, what would you do?

I reall wanted to see Ellis retire in Green & white. Going to the PATS makes it that much worse...... bad move by the F/O

:sad::shit:

8. Don

I am guessing he probably made 40 or 50 million dollars from the Jets . If he is so broke that a couple hundred thousand makes a difference then fuck him for being a fool too.

#428 Don, Aug 8, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  9. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Ah man, so many problems here:

1. It was already reported that Ellis wanted an EXTENSION... which means more than one year at a price most likely higher than what he was already making. A one year, $3 mil deal wasn't an option. He wanted what he wanted and we didn't budge, so he gave us the ole fuck you and joined the enemy.

2. How was this offseason not good at all? Mason is an upgrade over Cotchery no matter how you look at it. We retained most of our free agents, at least the impact free agents with the exception of Edwards and he was replaced with someone that could potentially be an upgrade. I don't think you can call this offseason "not good" unless you have a crystal ball.

3. If this offseason was so terrible, how was Ellis going to win a ring with the Jets? Was he the signing that was going to push us over the edge? Come on, at least agree with YOURSELF.

10. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

This sums up nicely my own views on the situation.

Unless the Pats offered him something like $3m+ then it does just look like a bit FU to the organisation.

p.s. how weird is it that we talk about chucking a guy an extra couple of million dollars to play a game for a year as if its no big thing.

11. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Man I hate the idea of seeing Wayne Hunter blocking Shaun Ellis. This was a good move to New England if they really are going to change their base defense to 43. Looks like they are about to gear up for that last big push in the Brady Era.

I hope Ducasse starts learning quickly.

12. ........

........ Trolls

The first part is correct. He made $41.75 million in his time with the Jets. The second part is just stupid. Figure he took home about half of that. A fantastic amount of money. However, there are plenty of reasons for someone to want to max out even further.

For example, I know for a fact that a lot of current and former players were absolutely hammered by the economic downturn. Players who thought they had their futures all lined up in their investments suddenly saw that money diminish greatly.

Other players want to help out family members that have nowhere near that kind of earning power. I know a player who bought 5 different houses for members of his impoverished family and helped to build a future for a community that gave him what it could.

If it's an extra $500k that he got and wanted, who are you to blame him? You and I may have had different priorities for him, but we're not him. None of us know what situation he may be in, but to assume he's some idiot who mismanaged his money is absurd.

13. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

Also I think many people forget that about half is taken away before it even touches all the other hands it goes through too.

The difference in $910k and say $1.8 mill is he'll actually take home close to $910k as opposed to $455k before agents and others poke through it.

14. ajetsfan4ever

ajetsfan4ever Active Member

again, people wonder why our fan base has a bad reputation.

the offseason wasn't good?????????????????????????

we had a shit load of free agents, and all the key ones re-signed, except b.smith, plax, mason, better than edwards, cotch, wilkerson the new ellis.

I'll make sure to tell tanny he's in danger of losing his job to you.

not to mention the hiring of tom moore, yeah, we had a shitty offseason.

15. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

At some point we have to get younger and that's exactly what our defense is doing.

On offense we have Holmes, some Vets to help guide the young receivers who we hope to contribute in the years to come.

Once this season is over all will agree that we do have a better receiving squad this year.

16. Baumeister

Baumeister Well-Known Member

He should have wanted to end his career with Jets.

Bad move by Ellis as well.

Two sides of the coin here guys. The Jets need to get younger Ellis is on the tail end of his career. He knows it the FO knows it. He knows how this works. He could have made the decision to sign with the Jets. If NE cuts him from the roster where will he be then. If he signed with the Jets there is no way he would get cut and he would get paid. BB doesn't play around with his players if he thinks they don't have anymore it is GTFO thanks for playing. I just hope they don't cut his as because then he won't make any money. So yeah the FO could have done a better job as well as Ellis clearly thinking through the situation and not just the $$$$$.

17. patfanken

patfanken Banned

A couple of quick points:

1. It was reported that last season the Pats were in 4 man alignments 57% of the time. This isn't a radical change for them.

2. Also its not about the alignment but the technique. The question everyone wants to see is if, when the season starts is, DO the Pats become a one gap team, or continue the traditional 2 gap technique. If its the latter, then THAT would be a radical shift

3. The quick additions of Anderson, Ellis, and Carter all make very good sense INDIVIDUALLY, but who the F knows why BB brought ALL of them in so fast. Everything from he is ready to jettison Haynesworth already, to he just wants to see some competition in camp is being discussed.

We can all speculate, but only BB knows for certain, and as you know.....he ain't talkin'....unlike Rex. Its great for us fans because we will have endless fodder for debate until the final rosters are announced. ;)

4. I think it wasn't a money deal at all. I think the Jets made the decision to go VERY young on the DLine....at least for now. Their low ball offer was just a courtesy they expected to be refused. It could very well work out fine. BUT there are a LOT of ifs that have go well for the Jets to even approach the mediocre results they got from the DL last season.

5. In fact the Jets success this season will have to rely on a great many MORE 'ifs" than the last few years

IF Sanchez can take it to the next level
    IF Hunter or Ducasse can replace Woody qt the same level
    IF Greene can carry the load 200+ times as the lead back
    IF Wilkerson and Ellis can be an upgrade on Ellis as rookies
    IF Pua can comeback from his injuries
    IF Thomas Scott and Pace don't start to decline
    IF the injury bug stays way (Yes I know the Jets had injuries, but over the last 3 years to a much lower degree relative to the rest of the league)
    IF Plex can be ANYTHING after 2 years without football
    IF Mason, at 37 won't finally break down (btw- I thought this was a MUCH better pick up than Plex)
    IF Cromartie and/or Holmes don't start mailing it in now that they have gotten their big paydays.

Now I know there are some "ifs" for the Pats, but the Pats have brought back EVERYONE but TBC from last year's very young, but improving D (btw- they may have been 29th in total defense, but in the only defensive stat that REALLY matters -scoring- they were 8th All the ifs on defense for the Pats revolve around do the new guys (FAs and Ras-I) add anything to the mix). That's the hope, but we aren't RELYING as much as the Jets are on their FAs and draft picks.

On offense the Pats bring back EVERY significant player to the BEST offense in the league. Our ifs are about whether Ocho and the rookie RBs can IMPROVE that offense. IMO, the 2 best picks of the draft were Solder and Cannon, and they BOTH have the luxury of not having to start.

Can the Jets FINALLY reach the promised land. Of course they can. There are probably 15 teams in the league that have a reasonable hope. The Jets are certainly one of them. But for it to happen A LOT of those IF's will have to occur. And if I were a Jet fan, a lot more than I would be comfortable with at this stage of the season.

Still we have a long way to go before the season even starts and a LOT of things can happen. What ever we think the final rosters of BOTH our teams will be on final cut down day, we probably will be wrong and surprised with the results :D

#437 patfanken, Aug 8, 2011
  18. Don

Nonsense, if he doesn't have money then he is a fool and a couple hundred thousand more will make no difference at all because he won't be able to keep that either. I see everybody throwing around all these number, 500k, a million, does anybody even know what he got?

Oh, and if he gave away houses or did something for his community then that was all deductible so all those millions you think went to taxes didn't in those cases.

#438 Don, Aug 8, 2011
  19. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

What is this garbage? Anyone? Bueler?

20. babyknight

babyknight Well-Known Member

really? might have read your post if that had been true.