Pats sign Shaun Ellis

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Aug 7, 2011.

1. Franchize

Franchize Well-Known Member

Hit the nail on the head.I think we gave Ellis a somewhat disrespectful offer but I also think he went to NE to stick it to us.As far as JCo,I liked him while he was here but he played himself.You're not a #2,especially with a herniated disk and a failed physical.Plus,if guys are taking pay cuts/reduced roles to be here and you're clamoring for more,you leave yourself open to be replaced if a guy with equal capabilities comes along asking for less money.

2. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

I'm bothered by this, but whatever.

He'll suck in New England, and end up signing a one-day contract with us to retire as a Jet. Then we'll all forget about this.

3. jetsmetsfan

jetsmetsfan New Member

Well maybe the JETS should have shown some appreciation and loyalty by offering more than vet minimum. I wish Ellis the best of luck but hope for our sake he really is just washed up.

4. NYMagpies

NYMagpies New Member

Jco took pay cuts in the past so that's a moot point. Either way, we should have offered Ellis more but he is certainly pissed at the jets and signing there is a middle finger to us lol

5. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

Yeah, i'm a Jet fan... A Jet fan pissed off that they lost one of my favorite players by being disrespectful and cheap.... And wake up,,,, I loved when they got Sanchez and watched just about everyone of his games in college, unlike you. And I loved alot of their moves.... But i'm sorry,,,, i'm pissed off right now.

6. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Reality is Offensive line is not the same as Defensive line or CB. At best Ellis was a rotational DL man for the Jets this year if he makes the team. We don't need these rookies to step in and be full time starters to make the D better we need them to be part of the rotation while they learn the position.

Ellis can also be replaced by any number of veteran DL men who will be available before the season starts.

Last year we had a new Guard and Holmes wasn't able to come back until game 5. Right now the roster we have today to open the season has less question marks and more experienced depth then the team that started last season. This team is also not done yet.

I don't see all the reason to either panic or think our GM was outsmarted. Do I like Ellis going to the Pats? No. Do I think it makes them better or us worse? No.

#346 Biggs, Aug 7, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
  7. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Time to move on, Ellis is gone and could gives 2 shit about the Jets and the feeling is mutual.

Whats crazy, I believe BT is now the longest tenured Jet...talk about nine lives.

8. bibigon

bibigon Member

It's also possible no other top level team could offer him as much money or as prominent a role as the Patriots could. As near as I can tell, he's almost going to be a starter there based on the depth chart for a 4-3 alignment.

Also, FWIW, Pro Football Focus, which has subjective numbers admittedly, shows Ellis with 39 QB hurries last year. That led the Jets. I dunno - I'm not thrilled with this.

9. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

The way this team keeps changing from year to year, Sanchez will be the longest tenured Jet before we know it.

10. Prince of Thieves

Prince of Thieves New Member

I posted in the other thread and got killed for it, rightly or wrongly, but I stated my displeasure at Ellis's results last season.

I stick by what I said. I think the guy is toast. In my opinion, it's better that he left. The Pats' anemic pass rush won't be better off adding him.

11. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

What the fuck are you talking about? Disrespectful? If Rex believed that Ellis could still perform at a high level, believe me he would have pushed Tanny to offer him more money. This is about winning a fuckn' Super Bowl, not about respect.

Football is kind of like a sales job. If you're no longer performing up to your quota, you get canned. Doesn't matter if you've outperformed years before. It's all about the present and the future.

Guys like you have been critical of Rex and Tanny all throughout Rex's first two years, and we've been a stone's throw away from the Super Bowl both times. The team has earned the right to be believed in by their own fans for the past 2 seasons. If you don't trust this FO yet, then I can't help you.

12. Prince of Thieves

In my opinion, I think a lot of people are forgetting exactly how gawdawful the D-Line was on pass downs last season. Rushing-wise, everyone was A-OK, including Ellis, who I took the time to rip in the other thread about a week ago.

I like the way that Pouha stopped the run last year, and DeVito and Ellis were also good at it. However, when it came to the pass rush, the D-Line did next to nothing. If the rookies mean a trade-off, insofar as the run stoppage suffers a little bit in exchange for a substantial improvement in the pass rush, then I'm all for it. I trust the linebacking corps in stuffing the run. However, the D-Line simply must be more explosive in collapsing the pocket.

I have full faith in the coach and GM knowing what they're doing when they decide that the young blood is the way to go.

13. Prince of Thieves

100% agree with this. Echoes my sentiments exactly.

14. AarontheJet

AarontheJet Active Member

Shaun Ellis is no longer a Jet and I don't care. I was pissed earlier, but I don't give a crap now. Our job is to stomp that Pats' D when we play them and win the damn division. If he wanted to be here, he'd be here regardless of what the offer was.

15. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Life in the NFL, get over it.

16. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Where's #28Martin and his sound opinion???

17. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

Maybe the Jets are using Ellis for Spygate 2.0 espionage. Big cat undercover grrrrrr!

18. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

And that's another thing. Cut the crap with the oh if Rex and Tanny thought he could play at a high level. The guy freakin played in the Pro Bowl just two seasons ago. I know some guys couldn't make it, but that's a fact. I didn't see anyone crying about the guy not being able to play at a high level, when he had the GAME OF HIS CAREER vs. the PATS in the playoffs,,, LAST SEASON. He absolutely still can play at a high level. Enough of this BS about how i'm so negative..... They'll be a thread where post after post is criticizing something, then I chime in saying the same and I get singled out... I think Tannenbaum is a phony, ok? That doesn't mean he hasn't done a good job but I don't think he's straight forward with a lot of this guys and I think he lies to these guys time after time (see Revis's holdout last season) where they NO DOUBT said they were gonna give him a big raise,, then rescinded. They did that with Kendall, among other guys. That's their style..... As for Rex, I like Rex, he's done an excellent job. He's full of it alot, and there is no reason for him to not be called on it when he is,,, but as a whole, he's done an excellent job.... Top notch....

19. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

ask and you shall receive.

/facepalm

20. Shaun, you're my older brother and I love you. But don't ever take sides with anyone against the Family again...ever.