Kerley is impressing

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NDmick, Aug 5, 2011.

1. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

janesports Jane McManus
    Mike Westhoff said Jeremy Kerley is likely starting punt returner. Kicks too. Only week 1 but the rook is on the rise. es.pn/pCEBZG

2. Catfish Billy

Catfish Billy Well-Known Member

Jeremy Kerley is gonna shut some people up about OMG NO 3RD RECEIVER!

3. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

We need another veteran received, call him a whatever # receiver yiu wish, we gotta get someone in with experience and start working with the Mark's. That's not to say the young guys wont step up, but rookies usually are not # 3 receivers to start with. Cothcery is out of his mind giving up 1.8 million acting like he's a # 2. Dumb move

4. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Kerley was a great value pick.
    I don't know if he'll ever be a star, but i see solid ST contributions this year, and eventual growth into the flanker spot.

Got a good gut feeling on him.

5. kinggofg

kinggofg Active Member

I hope not. Jerry caught 1 td pass as a rookie.

also JR was a 1st round pick. Kerley is a late 5th round who has had 2 good days of training camp.

Kerley will be lucy to even be active. there is simpy no chance we do not pick up at least 1 vet reciever.

#65 kinggofg, Aug 6, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2011
  6. kinggofg

kinggofg Active Member

if any other afc east team was awesome they would havea fan thred t compars how kerley is vs gronkows(sp?)

7. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

He is a great value pick but I am hesitant to put too much on a rookie WR. I can count on my hands the # of rookie Wr's that come in and make a difference in their rookie year.

Playing the slot in addition to being a main guy on special teams means the coaches are putting a lot on his plate. I hope it isn't too much. Maybe he will be of the few that really succeeds in his first year.......we shall see.

Anyway, I haven't seen him play yet. I can't wait for the 1st preseason game.

8. kinggofg

kinggofg Active Member

Im intrigued by this comment. maybe it is the perfect moment for him. who is to say a shitty vet is better than an unkown rookie. most teams as good as ours arent so weak at wr. just as no good team over the last 3 years had a top perf rook, no good team brought in a scrub vet who blew the doors off.

9. Awells12

Awells12 New Member

It would be awesome for a fifth round pick to step up, but at a skill position in his rookie year - unlikely

10. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

obviously we need to temper our expectations on the kid. He is a rookie less than a week into camp workouts...

But It's ok to get excited. He has to impress in order to get on the field. We should bring in a vet ala Mason, but even if we do, don't be shocked if Kerley takes their place by mid year if he keeps impressing...

11. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

12. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

13. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

Drop the lucky to be active shit. Westhoff already named him the starting punt returner after one week of practice.

14. milo

milo Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Good shit.

15. James Calvin

James Calvin Banned

I'd buy one of them there.

16. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

damn i wish they were doing hard knocks again

17. ........

........ Trolls

That's not true, though. Austin Collie was a 4th rounder in 2009, 26 spots ahead of Kerley's draft position, and had 60 receptions for 676 yards and 7 TDs on a Super Bowl team. People are looking for Kerley to have HALF that as a viable #3 in our offense. With McKnight taking an increased role on the team, Greene catching the ball better out of the backfield, and Tom Moore here to help utilize Keller more, he doesn't have to match the 40 receptions Cotchery had last year.

People are hoping that IF he has to step into the slot role immediately, he has a season similar to Emmanuel Sanders last year, again on a SB team. Heavy run team, receptions heavily trending after the top 2 WR to the TE and backs, and he brought 28 receptions. Granted, Sanders was just in his first year on the ACTIVE roster. Anything north of a 2 rec/game average would be fantastic, but I don't think people are expecting a top performing rook.

18. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Exactly.

I don't get why its the extremes and not the in between.

If Kerley has 30 receptions its a great year for him. Is it because we see Welker in the slot racking up 100 catches a season that it skews reality for what is expected from a 5th round rookie?

And do people forget how rare it is for a 5th round rookie to get this kind of praise so quickly from so many outlets? Usually you don't hear their name unless they are struggling every step of the way and the media starts to knock the pick. This is the opposite. No one should be down on this news - its good that this kid is getting it so quickly.

#78 NDmick, Aug 6, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2011
  19. dmarz45

dmarz45 Well-Known Member

I havent even seen Kerley yet and he's so hyped up. I say we still bring in a decent vet receiver as insurance but this kid will definitely get a shot. He is a perfect slot receiver, small and quick. If Westy already sees alot of potential in him I have a good feeling. I think he is going to fill the Brad Smith role well this year, and thats at the very least. If we're lucky he will be a productive slot guy.. But that would just be a bonus for his rookie season.

20. ........

........ Trolls

I think it's probably fear, maybe even prompted by the last couple of seasons, particularly how 2009 started off. In that year and 2010, we brought in a big name FA WR for each season. We've been conditioned to expecting these big signings. In this season, we appear to be taking a step back. Because we've been fortunate enough to add talent that's proven, people expect it at every position. The idea of a rookie possibly being asked to contribute is foreign.

It's tough to switch gears so quickly and recognize that the FO has done all of the additions necessary, and is now focusing on developing for the future at a cost that makes sense for the present. We drafted well for several seasons, then used free agency to build what we could; now it's time to allow our own player development to fill out the rest of the roster, which includes rounding out our receiver corps.

Unless Plax wows people, we won't have a big boom signing at the position, but we'll acclimate some of our young WRs so they can contribute to the continuity that will be so important moving forward with Sanchez. Still, it's a very different feel than what we saw for the last two seasons, and people don't like change, especially when it comes to their expectations.