Cotchery asks for and is granted his release

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Pluvrr, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

So what you are saying is, teams don't try to improve overall whether it be through talent, or talent and cap combined. Cotch was making #2 money last year too so you can't say for sure Jets were going to ask him to take a pay cut, but u can say for sure Cotch wasn't too excited about it. I could care less. He was injured for a big part of the season and Im glad we don't have a 400 yards catcher playing #2 here. Liked him when he was here, but there are definite upgrades to be had.

90 yards in the 4 games he was a starter last year while Santonio served his suspension. Not exactly what you expect out of a $4mil #2 WR. And he wasn't injured at the time so spare us that thought.

2. ........

........ Trolls

Oh, I understand. Believe me. I have reservations about Plax, but I had those same reservations about Cotchery. He was a good #2 for us before his injury, but I was worried about how he'd bounce back this season. It's a tough situation whichever way you look at it. As soon as I heard he didn't want to be here as far back as February, though, I knew the Jets had made the right choice.

3. The Notorious J.E.T.S

The Notorious J.E.T.S Well-Known Member

Mods, please change the thread title to:

"The Assassination Of Our Receiving Depth By That Coward Jerricho Cotchery"

Thanks...I don't think we're absolving the Jets and demonizing Cotch enough.

4. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

^ban this joker...

5. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

Did you run out of tampons?

Nobody that is reasonable is demonizing Cotch. He wants to be a starter and he wasn't getting that opportunity here. He did ask for his release and he was granted it, deal with it.

6. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

He improved our receiving depth by leaving, you just don't see it yet.

7. Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos Well-Known Member

Yeah, this might have been a huge part of it. Cotch knows he has the opportunity to play with Rivers who was his college teammate and he'll probably put up better numbers than he would with the Jets next season which will help him get a better payday.

http://www.nflgridirongab.com/2011/08/05/chargers-ready-to-say-bye-bye-floyd-hello-cotchery/

According to ESPN’s John Clayton, Jerricho Cotchery was released by New York today. He expects Philip Rivers and the Chargers to make a run at signing him.

“Now that J. Cotchery is a former Jet, watch for Philip Rivers to push for the Chargers to sign him. They’re lifelong friends.”

Rivers and Cotchery played together at North Carolina State. Each came into the NFL in 2004.

Cotchery broke the school records with 200 receptions, and 15 100+ yard games in his career. Torry Holt was the record holder before him. He also had 3,119 yards and 21 touchdowns in his career at NCS.

He was the 108th pick in the fourth round of the 2004 draft by the New York Jets. He’s been with them for his entire career (7 years).

In New York, Jerricho had 353 receptions for 4,474 yards, and 18 touchdowns. He also rushed for 80 yards and a touchdown.

Yes, the numbers aren’t jaw dropping. But he had Chad Pennington, Brett Favre on the downhill, and a young Mark Sanchez. Imagine what he could do with Philip Rivers, who’s in his prime, throwing him the ball. If he does sign with the Chargers, he will have a very good chance battling for the second outside receiver.

Cotchery is 6’1” and 200 lbs. He’s not the 6’5” receiver, hence Vincent Jackson and Malcom Floyd, that Rivers is used to throwing to, but he’s the type of guy who doesn’t drop many balls, will help out younger receivers, and already has chemistry with the quarterback.

San Diego will wait till Malcom Floyd makes his decision before they make any of their own. Floyd would be a much better guy to have over Cotchery, but it depends on his price. The Chargers would much rather have Jerricho for cheap, than paying Floyd top dollars just to stay. The way it’s looking as of now, Floyd will be a Raven. The only way he remains a Charger, is if he takes less money to stay in San Diego. The Chargers will not jump in on the bidding war with Baltimore, San Fransisco, or any other team willing to pay Floyd.

8. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

^Lol at "he's the type of guy who doesn't drop many balls".

9. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

Not all.

Pending his back injury and he came back 100% I seen him as a better more sure handed #2 with 2 years of continuity with Sanchez, with Plax being more more of a 3rd down option redzone target.

What I find strange is that the majority of people on here assume Plax is going to be better than Cotch. I know we're on the outside looking in on this situation, and the FO might know something we don't but that aside, I like Cotch better.

Plax is 5 years older, his last season in the NFL he was coming off a hamstring injury, he hasn't played football in 2 years, the first day of practice he "tweaks" his ankle, who knows how extensive his prison rust is going be.

#229 DarrelleRevis.Human?, Aug 5, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2011
  10. ........

........ Trolls

When he's healthy, he doesn't.

11. Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos Well-Known Member

Bullshit, Pennington was a fine west coast QB, probably top 10 when healthy. Statistically he is the most accurate QB ever. That is TALENT. Look at the names around him on that list.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/pass_cmp_perc_career.htm

Chads problem was he couldn't stay healthy, and in his prime with the Jets he was trapped with some bad offensive coordinators, coaching staffs and mediocre WRs.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/5047/career;_ylt=AiGgjdmqLuB3KhOj8ezVsGb.uLYF

I have no idea where Cotch is talentwise. He's a #3 NFL WR easily, probably a solid #2. Could be be a #1? A top 10-15 guy like Chad was? I doubt it, but who knows if he gets in the right offense.

12. ........

........ Trolls

You can't seem to recognize the distinction between recognizing that he made a CHOICE to leave and demonizing him. He made a decision to leave, and that's absolutely his right. Nobody blames him for making that decision, but we're also not blaming the Jets for trying to put the best team possible on the field. Cotchery was a #3 because he was stuck behind two more talented receivers. He complained, so the team opted to go after another receiver to cover its bases as he sought a way out. There's nothing wrong with it, but there IS something wrong with your reaction and those of the people who try to lay the blame squarely on the team.

13. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

Before last year we probably could have counted his drops on one hand.

14. 624

624 Banned

Rivers and the SD offense inflate WRs numbers big time.

Although Cotchery is a much better player than Woodhead, I can see a similar situation happening where Cotchery puts up huge numbers in the SD system and Jets fans bitch about it all season..

Just so I can re-quote myself to annoying posters crying about it, Cotchery would not have put up those numbers in his role and system on the Jets.

15. AarontheJet

AarontheJet Active Member

Uh when he was healthy he barely dropped anything.

16. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

The guy had 1 bad year out of 7 and that's what you remember?
    Cotchery improves any team that takes him period.

#236 Jersey Joe 67, Aug 5, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2011
  17. SouthBayJetsfan4life

SouthBayJetsfan4life Well-Known Member

Don't kid yourself.....Sanchez won't be a top 10 anything if receiving corp is not up to snuff.

The FO are taking a big gamble that Burress will be ok. If he isn't then that's lot to put on this kid's plate.

18. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

Of course he does. All of a sudden we are supposed to play pretend that the guy isn't any good.

19. NEJets

NEJets Member

20. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Current form counts much more than what a player did the year before. He was healthy for the first half of the season. He dropped some simple passes and you don't discount that for him being injured. If that was the case, the FO would have sat him down rather than having him cost us downs/drives.

Don't get me wrong. I liked Cotchery. He had some great catches over the years and gave a lot to this organization for hardly any big money, but his production fell sharply in the last year even before he was injured. He had like 90 yards in the 4 games Santonio wasn't playing.