Cotchery asks for and is granted his release

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Pluvrr, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

Damn accuracy we have to listen to the hormones..............

2. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

Good and Valid points, and I'm not caring either way. The bolded part is what I was thinking and in that scenario I can appreciate what was done. The only thing I care about now is finding his replacement.

In the short days of camp we've had already Jeremy Kerley sounds like a great pick.

3. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Same thing with Coles and almost Clemens from last season.

They released Coles so that if someone picked him up, he'd be guaranteed for the whole year.

And they would cut Clemens sooner rather than later, out of respect for him.

Its good business.

4. JetRizing89

JetRizing89 Well-Known Member

he will be hard pressed to find a better role then he had with the jets

5. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

[​IMG]

6. JetsFanDoc

JetsFanDoc Well-Known Member

Anybody who thinks the Jets did wrong by Cotchery is delusional.

Ask yourself this question: Would you have not signed Plax in favor of Cotchery being a #1 guy?

I don't think anybody would answer yes to that. I personally would have brought back Braylon, but its still the same situation in the eyes of Cotch: he felt disrespected because the Jets saw him as a #3 guy...and you all agree. So stop being hypocrites and realize that its a tough business and a lot of times you are going to see guys that you love leave. Just happened with Leon, now its happening with Cotch.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: GET OVER IT!

7. JetRizing89

JetRizing89 Well-Known Member

i wanted him back badly but i agree with this since its clear that the jets didnt wanna lose him but rather seems he just wanted a bigger role

8. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

So because Cotchery handled his disappointment with how he was being used correctly, keeping it in house, Rex is now a liar? Considering that throughout the day Manish was tweeting quotes from Jco alluding to the fact that he was unhappy last year it seems that it is likely the case.

Biggie would stab you with an ice pick if he saw that his image was being associated with such blatant faggotry.

9. SoulFood

SoulFood Active Member

Cotch left because he thought he would get a chance to start. Then they signed Plaxico and he knew he was the #3 again. On top of that they asked him to take a pay cut. If I was him I'd be pissed too.

The Jets were trying to improve the team and Cotch felt disrespected. Nobody's fault, it just didn't work out. I wanted to keep Cotch too, but it just wasn't going to work unfortunately.

10. The Notorious J.E.T.S

The Notorious J.E.T.S Well-Known Member

Well said.

11. ........

........ Trolls

And yet, the poster you quoted is fine with it (even though his interpretation is a little off) and doesn't blame anyone, while you continue to bitch about it like a 7 year old with pigtails.

12. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Cotchery is the new Chad. Over rate intangibles and charachter over talent and managing the cap.

This is the best Jets management we have had in decades.

Giving players a clean release allows them to get their true market value as an unrestricted FA. Any Professional player should relish that opportunity.

Cotch is no longer a Jets player, the Jets treated him great. I'm excited about the Jets.

13. UNWarCriminal

UNWarCriminal Member

This whole WR situation is so bizarre. If they didn't have the $1.8 million to keep Cotchery without asking him to take a cut, how the hell were the Jets going to afford ANYBODY had they signed Asomugha? I'm really counting on Sanchez to come through this year. He doesn't have as many weapons to bail him out this year, so he's going to have to be more consistent.

14. AarontheJet

AarontheJet Active Member

I still don't think Plax should have been starting over Cotchery. I know I said this earlier in the thread, but there's no guarantee that Plax is going to be the guy he was before jail. He is going to be extremely rusty and have to learn a new playbook, a playbook that is pretty difficult to digest at that. Cotchery didn't have blazing speed but he was a great route runner and had incredible hands. If we would have signed Edwards back, I would have been alright with Cotchery being the 3rd receiver, but to start Plax right out of the gate over Cotchery kind of comes across as a slight and I understand that. There's no way a guy fresh out of jail should be starting over Jerricho, especially right off the bat.

Now if Plax's body can hold up and if he can learn the system quickly, it might not be too bad, but our receiving corps isn't as good as last year. Thankfully with a new and improved Sanchez it might not matter that much, since he should be able to make the most out of what he has.

15. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Jail>>>>Back Surgery

16. ........

........ Trolls

It really does cut both ways.

17. AarontheJet

AarontheJet Active Member

I see where you're coming from and I understand, but I guess I'm just kind of nervous about Plax still. 34, just got out of jail and I just feel like he's going to have a significant amount of rust.

Truthfully, we probably have nothing to worry about, because if Sanchez makes the jump into being a top 10 QB, he should be able to make anyone look good.

18. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

What the hell are u smoking? Cotch said it himself that he had thoughts about moving on to a different team in the past and that he spoke with someone in the organization about it. Never went public. For that matter alone, Cotch deserves appreciation. He was never a distraction and never wanted to be. He wanted out. Its a fact by now. Jets tried to get something for him, but failed. They still let him go and be an UFA.

HE WANTED OUT and I do not blame him for that. Live with it!

19. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

Cotchery wanted to be a starter, the #2 receiver and the Jets kept making him the #3 and he felt insulted. And don't think for a second that they weren't gonna cut his salary, that's what they do. They were gonna say, you're the #3 receiver making #2 receiver money. Don't be naive.

20. REVIS ISLAND 619

REVIS ISLAND 619 New Member

san diego has no. 2 spot open as soon as this floyd to baltimore deal is done. sounds like a match.