Cotchery asks for and is granted his release

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Pluvrr, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Pluvrr

Pluvrr Active Member

I have to agree with this. Obviously I haven't read Crotchery's contract but I bet there's some contract benefit to the Jets organization for cutting him for failing a physical vs. cutting him for something else like cap room.

As others have said, I really think he deserved a good shot at the #2 WR spot this season. And if that had been the case then obviously he would no longer be disgruntled and want out.

p.s. the moderators should not have changed the title of my thread. "Cotchery was cut by the Jets" was the title and there's nothing wrong with that. Its a fact. We can debate the reasons and why it happened, but I really don't think the title should have been changed.

2. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

God dammit...what is wrong with some of you people?

Cotchery asked to be released. He did not want to play here anymore, so he asked to be released.

You want facts: the Jets did a favor for him. That's a fact.

3. NYMagpies

NYMagpies New Member

You should be able to edit your own thread title

4. The Notorious J.E.T.S

The Notorious J.E.T.S Well-Known Member

I'm not buying this story from the Jets. There was no buzz about Cotchery asking to be traded, and in the modern age of sports, a player can't mumble in his sleep without Adam Scefter reporting it on ESPN. Just a week ago Cotchery was talking about how he was excited for the jet's season. It wasn't until Mason was brought in that any of this started to come out. Even if Cotchery asked to be released or traded, it's obvious it was because he felt he wasn't a part of the Jets' picture. For our team to make a hard-working loyal player feel like that is bullsh*t.

#184 The Notorious J.E.T.S, Aug 5, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2011
  5. The Notorious J.E.T.S

I agree with this 100%. Trying to spin everything to make our team look better is something I'd expect from a Patriots' board.

6. rock316nyj

rock316nyj Member

Still love Cotch as a player, but man he is wrong here. He took a very selfish attitude at the wrong time. Coming off surgery, and his worst season as a Jet, when we are already cash-strapped, he asks for an extension? Again, he has every right to look out for his best interests, but I will not feel sorry for him anymore that he was released and will not be a part of what we will have next season.

7. The Notorious J.E.T.S

I understand it's easier to believe this so you don't feel like your team wronged a loyal player and took on bad karma in the process...but don't you find it just a bit odd that all this came out only yesterday?

Look at the Osi situation with the Giants. THAT is what it looks like before a player is traded or released because he wants more money or a new team. Players use the media to drum up fan support. Cotchery never did that - which tells me he wanted to play for the Jets. I'm not going to just be spoon-fed everything Rex & Tanny tell me.

#187 The Notorious J.E.T.S, Aug 5, 2011
  8. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

I applaud the mods that changed the thread title. Still with the change of a thread title it is amazing that Jets fans aren't smart enough to actually read how this all went down............dear lord.

Cotchery wanted out, the Jets granted him his wish. It is a win for all. The Jets do not have an unhappy player and Cotchery is free to get his own deal with a team that thinks he is a starter.

9. dthomas53

dthomas53 New Member

The argument can be made that Cotchery was a legitimate no. 2 receiver. And this is now two consecutive seasons that the FO/CS have indirectly forced him into a no. 3 role (this year, more than last).

I understand Tanny/Rex are always looking for ways to improve the team, and I don't blame them one bit for bringing in Holmes last season, especially at such a great value. But we didn't need Burress, and he certainly shouldn't have been assumed to be the starter opposite Holmes this season (which he was, before practicing a single snap).

Cotchery has been a great receiver for us and should have been given his starting spot back this season, or, at the very least, let him compete with Burress. The guy has done everything the team has ever asked of him. He's played injured, he's never spoken out in the media, never gotten into trouble off the field, etc. These are the types of guys I want wearing a Jets uniform.

Sure, the FO did him a favor by releasing him. But it was a small favor, and hardly appreciable considering how they've ignored not only his talents as a WR the last few season, but also his class as a person.

10. The Notorious J.E.T.S

[​IMG]

11. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Getting all the details about hopw he asked for a trade in Feb definitely changes how I feel about the situation. Still sad to see him go but the Jets did a good thing for the player and hopefully we still wind up getting Mason.

12. rholt168

rholt168 Active Member

“I’ve made a lot sacrifices over the years (for the organization),” said Cotchery, who had 41 receptions for 433 yards and two touchdowns last season. “Anyway it ends up, I’m going to be okay. I’ll be alright. The goal is to win a Super Bowl. They have to put the best players on the field. However they feel. It’s all business at the end of the day.

You start the best players that give you the best chance to win. You don't say, "well hey, he's a really nice guy and has done a lot for us, but he's not quite as good as the other guy. But, fuck it we'll start him anyway." It doesn't work that way.

13. rock316nyj

rock316nyj Member

I think it all came out yesterday simply because Cotchery is as professional as they come. As I said, I loved him as a Jet and he was one of my favorite players to root for, however I do believe the reports that have come out which make him seem rather foolish. He has to remember that we were still a ground and pound team in 2009, and last year Sanchez was still very inaccurate. On top of that he had plenty of drops and msised time with injuries. Even in his "diminished" role, had he been healthy and held on to a majority of the catchable balls thrown his way, he would have had over 60 catches.

14. Lír Jet

Lír Jet New Member

Whilst I agree with a lot that you are saying, Cotchery was a starter for the first 4 games last season (uninjured I believe) and was overshadowed by both Braylon and Keller. When Holmes came back he was a clear upgrade.

As you said the Jets FO have tried to get better by adding Plexico. If J-Co had a season similar to last year everyone here would criticise the FO for not having any contingency plan in place. Cotchery could have stayed and won out in TC for #2 spot but he chose to leave.

And, isn't it always said that it’s better to release/trade a player a year too early than a year too late.

15. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

So because the Jets told the media he asked to be traded in February we're suppose to just believe it?

With every single WR being a UFA, that is hard to believe. Why would the Jets release him without having a valid replacement, as of yet still no Mason. I don't care either way, as long as we bring in another WR.

Cotch told the media that he doesn't want to get in a public fight with the Jets. I'm just saying, the media writes it so it's true? When has Tanny ever succumbed to a players demands?

Like I said it really doesn't matter why he's gone, the reason matters not.

16. Donttasemebro

Donttasemebro Well-Known Member

1) cotch requested the trade. Wants to start and wants 1 last payday. Makes sense.
    2) he was on the PUP and failed his physical.

I love him as a player but ya gotta let it go guys. It's done and while i'm sure it was a little bit of a gamble for the front office I have to believe their information is better than ours.

In Rex and Mike T we trust.

17. The Notorious J.E.T.S

Which is exactly why the thread title should have remained "Cotchery Was Cut By The Jets"...not this current "oh no he di'int girlfrennnnnn..." finger waggin' title meant to help us sleep better at night. I have Jack Daniels for that thank you very much.

Honestly, can we win ONE fucking SuperBowl before we make this our official fan motto? Or are reaching AFCCG's the pinnacle of our hopes?

#197 The Notorious J.E.T.S, Aug 5, 2011
  18. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

He isn't wearing a muzzle, he has every opportunity to dispute it if even one word of what the Jets say isn't true.

19. ........

........ Trolls

Why is it absurd to believe that? You've chosen to believe it's NOT true without any evidence. Also, there's no evidence that the Jets leaked the February issue. The source was never named.

The Jets released him because they knew he didn't want to be there and he'd have a better chance to latch on to another team. The dick move would have been to make him wait. The fact that they didn't do that shows respect for Cotch and his wishes.

Not quite what Cotch said. More inferences. He just said he didn't want to get into specifics. If the story is completely off base, he'll dispute it.

And yet, you're pointedly disputing the reason given. Why should we believe YOU that it doesn't matter?

20. ........

........ Trolls

Something tells me you wouldn't be acting like a woman on the rag if the Jets had signed Aso.