2011 New York Jets Free Agency Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mr Electric, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Spike_D

Spike_D Active Member

Remember that there are teams that are still over the cap, and will need to cut players to get under. Its gonna happen ... being 10 mil under is a nice spot to be right now.

2. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

Most of those players left on their own accord or had to go because of the cap situation. Smith and Edwards were never getting the money they wanted. Woody and Jenkins retired because of injuries. Cotchery asked to leave.

Ihedigbo and Ellis have a chance to be back. It wasn't a willful thing where the FO meant to stick it to anyone.

The Jets actually had a decent offseason compared to what could have happened. It was entirely possible the Jets could have lost Holmes and Cromartie in addition to the players listed above.

3. Cellar-door

Cellar-door Active Member

Yes because WR usually age really well in their mid-30s especially when they spend that time in jail instead of playing football. Expecting Burress to be anywhere near as good as he was is extremely optimistic. And pinning much hope on a 5'9" 5th round pick to have a large impact as rookie is even more so.

4. Vorrecht

Vorrecht Active Member

You should. After that you should light yourself on fire.

5. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

If you expected to enter into this new season keeping all the starters we had last year then you don't know football. Especially with all the new cap rules. Our team looks very good as of right now, and frankly unless your seeing something were all not seeing, you do not know how anyone is going to perform this year. For all you know, Burress has a break out year and performs better than Braylon did last year.

6. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

what's with the creepy avatars.

do you live under a fucking bridge?

7. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

Thank God we have Westy because we lost our two best special team players.

Sucks that we have so little time to prepare. I expect a ton of Sanchez to Keller early on.

8. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

fenwyr asked for Keller for his Adopt-a-jet this year. So i expect Keller to be traded or to slip in the shower, ending his career.

9. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

Well, yes, it's certainly optimistic but not necessarily unrealistic. I tend to be an optimistic person, by nature. I guess I was providing a balance to the very pessimistic post.

(and that was only a small part of my post - I still maintain our defense will be better than it was last year - i'm really excited about the young D-linemen we drafted and for the return of Ropati)

10. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

Yeah because we're in December 2011 right now and everyone's had a chance to watch him for 15 games

11. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

I agree with this 100% about Keller.. I was just telling my friend how Keller will be huge the first couple of weeks for fantasy football haha.

With all this movement the past couple of days, we have lost sight of the big picture.. How many teams have:

1. Their entire coaching staff the same as last year, with a system in place all the players know on both sides of the ball... AND)

2. A qb in place that the players respect, who is improving, knows the offense inside and out, and is able to lead the team... AND)

3. Haven't lost many major contributors from last season and were able to reasonably replace the players they did lose.

12. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

Plenty of teams have all 3, not just the Jets.

13. ........

........ Trolls

If he's in the slot, he's the 4th or 5th option in our lineup. He doesn't have to have a 'large' impact. He just has to be as good as just about every starting rookie slot receiver in the last 2 years...which is a sizable group. Sure, he could struggle, but given how he's started, it wouldn't surprise me to see him play at least passably well against the Texans.

14. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

Such language... you might offend people

I'm sure there is some forum rule you just broke, so is this leading by example?

Also, since you’re the avatar police, maybe you shouldn't be using the word Aids as a derogatory slam on yours... just saying

Mine may be creepy to you, but nothing wrong with using it, so I think I'll keep it for a while......

#3394 JetsFan, Aug 5, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2011
  15. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

per Manish - Jets offically announce it has signed S Brodney Pool, T Pete Clifford, CB Jeremy McGee, G Tom Ottaiano and T Jeff Wills

edit: i think Manish had it wrong - according to Vrentas (and Don's post below) the last three were waived not signed

#3395 JetsUK, Aug 5, 2011
  16. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

Packers, Steelers, Patriots....sadly pretty much none of the other contenders have actually lost anyone major or taken any major backward steps this off season

#3396 JetsUK, Aug 5, 2011
  17. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Anybody of that list other than Pool anything more than training camp fodder?

18. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

I mean what can Ihedigbo be asking for that they wouldn't bring him back? You would think his contract would be minimal.

19. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

So this is a different slant to it.

nyjets New York Jets
    #AL Team signs S Brodney Pool, G Trevor Canfield, T Pete Clifford. Waive CB Jeremy McGee, G Tom Ottaiano, and T Jeff Wills.

#3399 Don, Aug 5, 2011
  20. ManlyGenius

ManlyGenius New Member

I assume they grab a rookie safety who _maybe_ can develop into an actual safety who can play some day and save a few 100k in the process. Ihedigbo is a nasty special teamer but the window for him to develop into an every day player is just about closed.