2011 New York Jets Free Agency Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mr Electric, Jul 19, 2011.

1. MagillaGuerilla

MagillaGuerilla New Member

He wouldn't change anything for the Jets.

Besides, only Zona and two 43 teams are interested, which he said he doesn't want to play in.

He's not a 34 DE, he's a 43 End who happens to weigh 275...

2. Rockefella

Rockefella Trolls

I'm 100% serious. He was my favorite player

3. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

I think you are being way too pessimistic for a couple of reasons:

1) No one can definitively say the Jets are worse at receiver right now than we were last year. First of all, If Burress is the same player he was two years ago and we sign Mason, then we have a significantly BETTER group of WRs than we did last year. Why? Because A) A healthy Plaxico from two years ago shits on Braylon Edwards, B) Even at age 37, Derrick Mason is a better WR than Jerricho Cotchery, and C) Jeremy Kerley is purportedly off to a great start in camp. Now, even if we don't sign Mason (apparently a possibility) and Plaxico isn't quite the player he was before prison, there are still varying possible degrees of performances and we are just going to have to wait and see what happens.

2) Our defense will almost assuredly be better this year than it was last year. For one thing, we will presumably get a full year of Revis and Cro. Also, we drafted some very promising young defensive linemen. If either one of them make an immediate impact, we are better. And finally, it sure would be nice to see Calvin Pace have a full healthy season under Rex.

3) The biggest unknown for us this coming season is Sanchez. How much better will he be if at all? If Sanchez takes that next step and becomes a consistent, above-average passer, we will easily be better this year than we were last year.

As a final point of consideration, I really don't agree with your notion that we will need to win almost every game to win the division. The Patriots aren't going 14-2 again. Go look at the historical frequency of teams posting back to back 13+ win seasons and then look at their schedule. It's funny - everyone talks about how many close games we won last year but totally ignores that A) the Pats prevailed in a very similar number of closely contested, one-score games and B) That 2 of their 3 losses came to us.

4. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

One of my favorites as well.... he has the Edwards syndrom, thinks he's worth more than he actually is. Maybe he will re-sign in the end.

5. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

Where did you hear/read that he thought he was worth more than he actually was?

He's openly said he wants to re-sign with us. I haven't read any reports with him being a pain seeking more $ or whatnot. In fact, last thing I read about hi, was that he was expected to re-sign.

6. Vorrecht

Vorrecht Active Member

Anyone else think it's strange that we're sitting on about $9 mil worth of cap space right now and all we're hearing about is potentially signing Derrick Mason to the veteran minimum?

7. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

Didn't Clayton sign with the Giants?

8. Vorrecht

Vorrecht Active Member

Yeah, and your point is?

9. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Just because were sitting on money doesn't mean we need to spend every cent of it on one guy. You have to understand that the guy is older than most receivers out there. Also, now with Cotchery on the market, Mason is no longer looked at as the most sought after available WR in free agency. If he will sign with us for the bare minimum, then why not attempt to offer it? That's why they were calling Randy Moss a "Walmart special" when he was in the market. Its an awesome deal. Cheap yet effective. Same concept.

10. #28Martin

He was part of an earlier list in this thread of guys the Jets could go after?

11. Vorrecht

Vorrecht Active Member

Maybe? He's unlikely to make the Giants final roster, particularly if they re-sign Steve Smith.

EDIT: Why am I talking to you?

#3371 Vorrecht, Aug 4, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  12. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

$9 mill isn't much. We have several offers and unsigned players out there (Ellis, Mason, Ihedigbo etc.). Probably also need a little cash once TC cuts start going down to fill out the roster.

13. Vorrecht

Vorrecht Active Member

Ellis could just be given the veteran exception and it doesn't sound like Dig will be brought back. But you're right, I'm just being over-anxious for the pre-season to start.

14. #28Martin

No way Dig was asking for alot. Don't like them losing him.

15. SoulFood

SoulFood Active Member

I'm not happy right now. It seems like all of my favorite Jets left in one offseason. No more Ihedigbo, Braylon, Cotchery, Woody, Kris Jenkins, Brad Smith and maybe Shaun Ellis. We got a 34 year old receiver fresh out of jail who shot himself in the leg instead. I don't know how anybody could be really excited about 2011 season anymore. Some fan favorites and truly good players have left and I think our team is worse than last year. We're going to need our guys to improve and have some new guys step up.

I still hope that we do well and think we have a shot at the Super Bowl, but I have been deflated by the players we've lost.

16. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

^^^ You should go shoot yourself in the leg

17. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

nyjetscap nyjetscap
    According to reports the #Jets should enter the league year with about $10.2M in cap space tomorrow. #nyj

fuck i would like to throw some of the future contracts into this year, so we can free the future up...but im selfish, and wanna sign/trade for a big time player.

18. Catfish Billy

Catfish Billy Well-Known Member

There was no way we were keeping everyone. We got some new rookies, and most of our players back. It's a successful offseason.

19. SoulFood

SoulFood Active Member

Sorry, I don't stuff a gun in my sweatpants to go to the club

20. Montana

Montana Member

Seriously?...we're coming off two of the Jets most successful seasons in 40+ years, and you don't know how anybody could be excited about this coming season?