2011 New York Jets Free Agency Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mr Electric, Jul 19, 2011.

1. ........

........ Trolls

2. talisaynon

talisaynon Well-Known Member

Like i said before, these last two weeks have been awesome :lol

3. SienaSaints

SienaSaints Well-Known Member

Braylon Edwards signs with San Francisco per his twitter.

4. rholt168

rholt168 Active Member

Thanks for the instant news, buddy.

5. The Jutty

The Jutty Banned

Breaking news!

6. SienaSaints

I try he also signed for only a half a million more than Plaxico.

7. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

We signed Plaxico??

8. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Very few care if he does. His replacement is already practicing with the first string.

9. JCotchrocket

JCotchrocket Active Member

10. SienaSaints

No the Jets did you signed nobody.

11. JerzeJets

JerzeJets Active Member

Why is each one of your posts worse then the last?

If Ellis signs with us... great move for the guy to end his career as a jet and mentor the young guys while hopefully still being able to produce..

If Ellis does not sign with us... Oh well it will not be a crushing loss

12. nyjcanada

nyjcanada Active Member

13. talisaynon

talisaynon Well-Known Member

So we are 9 million under cap space, anyone have any idea what we're doing with it? I'm reading the Steelers message boards and they all seem to be in agreement that Aaron Smith might be cut, do we show interest?

Is Tanny preparing for players to be cut tomorrow?

All I know is I've done so little work these last two weeks thanks to free agency. They should do this every year.

14. Montana

Montana Member

We're not actually $9 million under.....in fact we have no idea where we stand vis a vie the salary cap, as the details of Antonio Cromartie and Wayne Hunters contracts haven't been released.

We also don't know if any of the 3 million exemption has or will be used (3 mill everyone is including in their speculation)

We could have as little as 3 or 4 million in cap space currently, or as much as 10 or 12.

15. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Not gonna lie, im really not liking this fuckin offseason. We pretty much increased the average age of our starting 3 receivers by like 10 years, and added absolutely no legit talent to this team.

Understand that we had to take care of our own, but shit this off-season was so un-tannylike. And the fact that we coulda signed Braylon for literally pennies more than Plax is just salt in the wound

#3335 dcm1602, Aug 4, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  16. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

That's one way to look at it.

The entire defense is returning. Swap Drew Coleman for Donald Strickland, and add the two rookies on the DL.

Other than the WRs and Woody, the entire offense is returning (Wayne Hunter proved he can play starting RT in road games vs Pittsburgh x2, Chicago, and NE). How big will the losses of Braylon, Cotchery, Woody and B Smith be? Time will tell. I could see Burress matching Braylon's production.

17. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Since when did $500,000 = pennies?

What don't you understand about these moves?

Derrick Mason is an experienced, proven veteran wideout for Mark Sanchez. No downgrade there.

Plaxico Burress has something to prove, but he's a talented player.

Braylon Edwards would be a NYJ if the coaching staff wanted him here. It's clear that they moved on a long time ago.

We're going to MUCH younger at the position during the next draft. At least that's what it's looking like to me. The new rookie wage scale will help us out quite a bit at the position.

18. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Plax already got injured (although not seriously) and he didnt even start training with the yet. And I think the receiver issue is HUGE, especially when your franchise QB still has a ton of growing to do.

And as far as our whole defense returning, half of our defense really aint that great. We got a below average safeties, WAAY below average outside linebackers, and our defensive line was the only thing adressed (via the draft) so a large part of that is going to be relying on rookies.

I mean honestly is there ANY part of our entire team that is better on paper this year than list ? Oline is worse, OLB is older, reciever is worse, fb is worse (no offense to Connor who I LOVE but we cant expect him to be Trich yet), until we get a good #2 TE TE is worse (hartstock could at least block), safety is probably slightly worse (replaced Ihedigbo with that other bum), special teams is worse (Weatherford + Bsmith gone), and the changes to our Dline are questionable (didnt get Ellis back yet so gotta keep that in mind) its just like shit is there any part of this team that is going to be BETTER this year than last ?

I hate hate hate to be pessimistic about this team, so im really hoping that Tanny just has something special tucked away that hes just ready to break out and get us all psyched up.

Dont get me wrong I still think this team is a hell of a fucking contender even with the changes. But unless Sanchez alone takes MAJOR steps forward this year, I just dont see how we can win the division (although well beat the Pats you KNOW theyll still end up at least 13-3 beating up on every team not named the Jets). And then having to go 3 playoff games on the road again, who knows. That shits fucking tough which is why its rarely done.

This team needs to be able to win the division, we already know this team is tough enough to beat any fucking team in any stadium, but now we have to be able to win virtually every week to have a shot at the division.

#3338 dcm1602, Aug 4, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  19. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Screw Ellis, we will be fine without him.

I believe the Jets said here's 900K, take it or leave it.

20. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

FA period has had little to cheer about since the initial good news of Holmes (though its easy to forget how unlikely pulling that off was loooking at one time - most people seemed ot think it was Edwards +Cro or just Holmes would get signed)

The WR position as a whole looks more shaky on paper but who knows - kerley could turn out to be excellent and early reports are glowing

edit: the plax injury 5 minutes into training was a bit of a concern though