Jets open to trading Cotchery (rumor)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Pavlus53, Aug 1, 2011.

1. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

That is easily explained, in '09 he played w/ a rookie, last year he was a #3 WR plus he was hurt and he has missed games in each of the last 2 seasons.

2. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

Seems a bit Cowboyesque if you ask me.

And to your second point, I'm worried as hell!

Like I said before, what happens if Plax or even Holmes (God forbid) gets injured, what then?

3. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

Call Randy Moss and tell him to get his ass off the couch and then give him a two year, 5-6 million dollar deal. Done.

4. DarrelleRevis.Human?

He must have missed my first responce to him...

5. ........

........ Trolls

You're wrong. No other reason is appealing to us as fans. Tanny has other considerations as a GM that very well may come into play here.

6. DarrelleRevis.Human?

Did you watch football last year?

7. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

lol. fair point.

Look, I get that Moss sucked incredible portions of ass last year. But I just can't imagine him not being motivated to play for Rex and the Jets for 1 or 2 years. I realize I'm in the minority, but I still think he has it physically. And Whatever, it won't happen anyway.

8. ........

........ Trolls

Well, to be fair, in 2007 his production was highest when Coles missed part of the season and he was the only reliable receiver left, especially for a young 1st time starter for half the season. I don't know if I'd look at that year as indicative of where he was. I never expected him to improve on that season. 2006, 08, and 09 were much more indicative of who he was: an underrated #2.

Last season he obviously took a big step back, but he was hurt and the team's priorities shifted. I was uncertain of where he'd be at this year, but then the team picked up Plax and his role was made a bit more clear. The team drafted the future at the slot in Kerley, and I'm guessing Sanchez felt quite comfortable with him in passing camp.

9. GatorGar

GatorGar Active Member

I would only trade Cotch if we got something very, very good in return. Messing with the locker room like this is pretty risky.

10. ........

........ Trolls

There are plenty of good guys left, though, and most of our core isn't what would be considered 'bad guys'. Holmes, sure. Cromartie, maybe. Revis may be, uh, fiscally motivated, but he's not an off the field trouble kind of guy. Harris, Mangold, Ferguson, Sanchez? Great guys. Even though he's loud, Bart Scott seems to be a great teammate as well. Plax is a short term pickup, and most of our young players seem to be high character. I think the good v bad argument may be a tad overrated.

11. laxin

laxin Active Member

Yeah I think it is too, I mean Cro is just dumb- not a bad guy really, Holmes smokes weed but is said to be a GREAT teammate, and Plax is a one year rental... I think it is way overrated

12. DarrelleRevis.Human?

It all has to do with the "want" to play and the past two years it's been declining rapidly, that on top of any locker room problems, media issues, etc.

Remember the play he gave up on an easy TD pass that Favre floated right over him and he didn't even try to make an attempt at?

13. DarrelleRevis.Human?

Ok, I hear what everyone is saying about Plax is going to be ok, don't worry our locker room is fine even if we get rid of one of the best team players (Cotch) that we have, and a very very good #3 or a solid reliable #2, regardless what people think.

Have we asked him to restructure his current contract?

My most important question which everyone keeps sweeping under the rug is...
    What happens if Holmes or Plax gets injured?

14. laxin

laxin Active Member

Yeah, I remember that PERFECTLY placed ball that was thrown in a window that i dont think anyone could have made a play on

15. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

What happens if Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Brandon Marshall, Wes Welker get hurt?...It's just a bunch of 'What if's'

16. AarontheJet

AarontheJet Active Member

If Cotchery was wanting ridiculous money, then I'd be fine with this, but honestly the guy can still produce. He had an off year last year and he still did some amazing things. We need to take care of our own, for the most part. If you look at some of the most successful teams, they have cohesive roster pieces. I understood getting rid of Faneca, Washington, and Jones. Hell, I even understand the Edwards thing, but I do not want to get rid of Cotchery. He's sure handed, he is a great route runner, and he could be a great teacher to the new guys.

Honestly, the last thing we need to do is have a rookie as the 3rd receiver, fucking up his routes and further deterring Mark's progression.

17. ManlyGenius

ManlyGenius New Member

18. DarrelleRevis.Human?

Brady and Manning don't go over the middle of the field or go up to catch balls defenceless, they have 5-6 guys protecting them.

My point is WR's have a greater chance of injury.

And Welker has Edleman to back him up, plus Brady to pick up the slack.

Marshall (Brandon?) it's not going to matter if he does the result will be the same.

19. GatorGar

GatorGar Active Member

Dustin Keller
    Jeremy Kerley
    Scotty McKnight
    Cotchery or his replacement?
    and on and on...

We have depth at receiver positions... at the same time I could say what if Sanchez goes down? Or Revis and Cro?

20. Rockefella

Rockefella Trolls

Stars or Depth? Pick one.

This team is stacked yet there are complaints because there isn't a probowler as the 3rd WR/DB

Guys like James Jones and Legedu Naanee are JAGs but look really good because their QB is elite. If Mark Sanchez has the third year a lot of us expect him to have, pundits around the league will be saying how Patrick Turner or Jeremy Kerley were STEALS for the Jets. They may not be very talented but if they can run a halfway decent route and catch the ball, the QB has to put it in his hands. Sanchez has shown flashes of this but if he consistently delivers to the receivers and Schottie doesn't fuck it up we can see a heavily improved offense.

#480 Rockefella, Aug 2, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2011