Jets open to trading Cotchery (rumor)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Pavlus53, Aug 1, 2011.

1. The Notorious J.E.T.S

The Notorious J.E.T.S Well-Known Member

sign this beast!!!

2. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

Braylon's a goner. Let it go.

3. Nesquik

Nesquik Well-Known Member

if thats the case then this makes no sense, i really hope that Braylon isnt out of the question

4. Nesquik

Nesquik Well-Known Member

i let it go but y trade Cotch?? im just speculating for reasons y other than cap space

5. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Of course they have.

6. ManlyGenius

ManlyGenius New Member

He's 29, beaten up, coming off of back surgery, and his production has been declining a few years in a row.

7. ........

........ Trolls

Yes, you need role players on the team. When you've committed close to $100 million in cap space to 12 players next season, though, $4 million is too much for a role player at a non-starting position. I'd hardly call that a small chunk when you'll have under $30 million for the other 31 players on the roster, many of them starters. That's without guys like Bryan Thomas, Sione Pouha, and Jim Leonhard, all of whom are in the final year of their contracts.

As far as Cotchery's role, we don't even know what that will be this season. We don't know where he's at because no one has even seen him since last season. While we know a hell of a lot more about who he is when he's healthy, we may know even less about where he's currently at than some of our rookies who attended Jets West camp. With some of the quotes lately about Sanchez and the heightened expectations for him as both a QB and a leader, I'm guessing the coaching staff and FO has made his opinion a part of its decision making. If he feels comfortable with the receivers he's left with, it makes a very difficult decision at least a little bit easier.

Teams that want to keep their core players and continue to compete HAVE to make decisions like this to survive. When the team made Plax its #2 (and despite the protestations of people on the board, Cotchery is NOT still the #2), Cotchery became expendable because of the financial implications.

8. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

They have decided they are trying to move him but he's not gone yet. I can't imagine too many teams are willing to give up much in exchange for a guy just off back surgery.

9. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

If ignatius' thinking is correct though we might even decide to part ways with him by cutting him... hoping that's not the case...

10. ........

........ Trolls

And I wouldn't be surprised if they cut him late in camp if they don't get any offers and like what they see in the younger receivers.

11. ManlyGenius

ManlyGenius New Member

I assume they've decided to cut him (a lot of the cut will apply to the 2012 cap so it clears up a bunch of space) but are just working the phones to try and get a late round pick or something instead of getting nothing.

12. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

Has it been declining because he's wearing out or because he's been playing with a rookie then a 2nd year QB the last two years? And last year playing 2nd fiddle to Holmes and Braylon.

13. nyjunc

I think so as well but hopefully by then they could figure something out unless he really can't play. If he's hurt and cannot contribute then that is different. I hate to see him go, I think we are playing w/ fire w/ removing the good guys and brining in the bad guys. At some point that will come back to bite us. As a football move it doesn't make a ton of sense unless they are bringing back a quality WR b/c right now we think Plax will be good but we don't know. I'm concerned over this move.

14. rex2009

rex2009 Banned

Rex stated clearly at yesterday's conference that Braylon "was a great Jet ... trust me if the price would have been right he would have still been here". Well the price may be dropping and may become right. The only reason you trade Cotch is to bring Braylon back. No other reason makes sense. Imagine Braylon and Plax on the outside with Santonio in the slot, absolutely unstoppable. I'm hoping this happens.

15. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

The problem as explained by a few here is next year. If they cut him now they save $4mm off the cap next year. With contracts on existing players escalating its likely that his cut will only help offset the salary increases for signed players next year. They are close to being in cap hell next year, especially now that they've Guaranteed contracts for Scott and Pace next year.

From what I saw on the cap site there were only a few options to save cap space

1- Get Sanchez to redo his contract (no brainer, it will be done)
    2- Cut cotchery and save $4mm next year
    3- Cut DeVito and save $2.5mm (wouldn't be surprised if they do something here to save them money. What I don't know but he's a likely target for something).
    4- Cut Moore and save about $2.5mm (highly doubt it)

My gut is that they expect the cap to be raised next year and I'm sure they already have a range they expect it to be raised to and that is what they are dealing with now. They have to factor in raises and cash needs for next years team.

16. ManlyGenius

ManlyGenius New Member

Well that's the $64,000 question, but his production has gone down three years in a row and that's not a good sign.

17. nyjunc

$4 mil next year is significant though the cap is expected to go up. If that is the case I hate to say it but maybe it wouldn't be a bad move BUT we'd still ned a replacement, we need a vet wideout here if they do make this move.

18. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

I'm with you. I don't see the value in trading Cotch unless it sets up another impact move. I just don't see Braylon as realistic. Despite his value obviously dropping, I still think someone is going to pay him more than we can. I mean, what can we afford, 2-3 mill? Not even, right?

19. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

I think that may be correct. I'm sure the other teams in the league have a handle on the cap situation for each team so they won't be in a rush to trade for him unless there is a season ending injury during camp and a need arises. They'll just grab him once he's cut.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if they wind up just cutting him. I hope not, I'd rather get a pick, 5th rd or whatever.

20. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

They have no interest in bringing Edwards back. Burress replaced Edwards.