Jets open to trading Cotchery (rumor)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Pavlus53, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

hernia injuries are a bitch...

2. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

2 million now? How so? Don't know the nuances of the new CBA so maybe I'm missing something but I see that cap savings for 2011 are only 450 k and in 2012 it's 4 million but he's an obvious cut next year.

3. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

If we trade/cut him NOW we save 450k this year and 4 mill next year (all of his contract).
    If we trade/cut him next off-season we only save 2 mill in 2012.

The move would be made to free 2 more millions in 2012. The savings this year would be next to nothing.

4. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

We need Cotch, bottom line.

If Plax works out, the problem is he's still going to be rusty at best, in a new system, he doesn't know the playbook, he hasn't been hit in 2 years and I'm sure he's not in "football" shape/conditioning.

What if he goes down?

Better yet what if Holmes goes down? Then what happens..? A rookie and a 33 year old rusty guy who are both trying to learn the system and their new QB are starting?

5. ........

........ Trolls

It's not 2 million now. If he is cut or traded this season, his prorated bonus money accelerates and all hits this season. That only leaves us with a $450k savings this year, but frees up the entire $4 million cap hit next year. If he stays on the roster this season, there's obviously no acceleration, so he only saves $2.3 million off the cap next year. It's a difference of almost 2 million. We wouldn't save much this year, but the savings next year could mean a FA signing.

6. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Just hypothetically... what would happen if we cut him and then re-sign him on a 1 yr deal? We could do that and still ahve no cap hit in 2012 right?

I don't see him attracting a big contract coming off hernia surgery so he might want to stay here one year showing he's healthy while playing in a system he knows well...

7. Jerseyboyisback

Jerseyboyisback New Member

Only way I would be ok with trading him is to sign edwards but dont see that coming. We would have a sick wr core!

8. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

You really want the WRs to get sick?

9. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

thanks for making me depressed out the Jets future.

10. ........

........ Trolls

I don't really see what benefit there would be to cutting and re-signing him. We'd only see a bigger hit this season from it. You'd clear 450k off the cap and then replace it plus whatever else you re-signed him at.

11. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

Did you watch Cotchery play last year? Do you realize that he had back surgery? Why do you think Cotch has anything to give at this point?

12. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Don't be depressed... Tanny will always have a trick up his sleeve.

The point is for the last couple of years great players like Mangold, Revis, Holmes, Harris etc have been playing on their rookie deals (thus being severly underpaid) giving the Jets more money to throw around to other players.
    Now that they're getting the money they deserve (and in some cases like Sanchez & Cromartie more than they deserve) we can't do that anymore. What we have to do is continue to draft and develop good players and keep the cycle going...

13. ........

........ Trolls

Haha. Tanny always has a plan. Cotchery's just a part of it right now. We don't many medium to big contracts that can be traded without killing the cap.

14. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Wait what!?!?!? Cotchery played like he played like year BECAUSE he had an injured back... surgery fixes injury so this year he's supposed to play better!
    Also he said his back had been bothering him for the last couple of years so it's actually 2 years he's been playing with a bad back.

It's logical to assume a healthy Cotchery would play better than an injured Cotchery...

15. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

not back surgery dude. Fuck that.Very difficult to come back from. And even if he regained his form from 3 years ago....meh. This board highly overrates this man. And the sentimental value horseshit is even less tolerable

16. Benny the Jet

Benny the Jet Active Member

Ok, removing emotion from the equation, let's respond rationally to this. Can you tell me how, THIS YEAR, getting rid of one of our more experienced and reliable WR's helps us to be better then last year? Rationally speaking, how does it help us this year to surround our rapidly improving, yet still very young, QB with an entirely new WR crew (exception being holmes) and a shortened offseason/training camp? Not to mention, rationally speaking, how does it help to get rid of one of our better WR's in favor of a player fresh out of prison and two late round draft picks who've proven nothing thus far (in fact, one of which was nothing more then a favor to sanchez)!

I know we need to be cognizant of the cap situation that we may face in the near future, but I, for one, would prefer to worry about this year. This team is built for right now, yet with that, there are still a ton of questions that need to be answered. Of all the questions, receiver remains one of the largest wildcards of all, so excuse me if I don't see the rationale of getting rid of one of our trusted veterans in favor of a bunch of compete unknown entities. Call me short sided, emotional or anything else, but rationally speaking, I just don't see how getting rid of cotchery this year helps us become more of a legit superbowl contender...

17. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

Rich Cimini

Placed on physically-unable-to-perform list: WR Jerricho Cotchery (back) and RG Brandon Moore (hip). #Jets

What in the...

Not looking good for Cotchery.

#377 macbk, Aug 1, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  18. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Players have come back from it. I'm not a doctor but I would guess if he was able to play through it certainly it wasn't as bad... plus athletes rehab for 8 hours a day and get top medical attention... Except for last year Cotchery has always been money.

19. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

It's generally not a big deal to be placed on the PUP list in the preseason. Antonio Gates is on the Chargers one and I think Peyton Manning is on Indianapolis' PUP list or may be placed on it soon.

20. Benny the Jet

Benny the Jet Active Member

Well this changes everything...kindly disregard my previos post ;-) :)

In all honesty though, if he's healthy, I think Cotchery's value is way greater then what some of you express. This, however, does not bode well for Cotchery.