Jets open to trading Cotchery (rumor)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Pavlus53, Aug 1, 2011.

1. ........

........ Trolls

There are very few player for player trades out there. They're hoping to shed money off the cap. It's not about thinking he'll net some huge price. I'm guessing the team would easily take a 4th or even 5th for him. It's a great price to get when you know someone will be a cap casualty in a year.

2. JetRizing89

JetRizing89 Well-Known Member

there is no point in trading him

at best theyd get a late round pick

id rather have cotch here as a reliable number 3 especially with plaxico being a real wildcard

3. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

well put! Even if the Giants were dumb enough to trade Osi for Cotch or a pick or 2 how the hell could we pay him after just signing Cro?

ans. We can't!!

Stop with the Osi stuff already.

#323 No Fly Zone, Aug 1, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  4. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

We resigned Cotch originally as a #2 then add in he in coming off a back injury means he is gone. We are over paying him and not sure he will get back to 100%. Any draft pick is better than just cutting him.

The Jets feel we have guys that can compete for our #3 receiver.

5. Theo Huxtable

Theo Huxtable New Member

1.8 Mill is too much?

6. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

I don't think it's worth it, I'd rather have him on the field. He fits under the cap now and there's no difference maker out there we're looking to sign.

7. Benny the Jet

Benny the Jet Active Member

I couldn't disagree with this "rumored" move more. Cotchery has been unbelievably valuable to this team in so many ways over the past several years. He has been an unquestioned leader on and off the field and his play has been tremendous. I can think of countless game changing plays he's made that simply left you speechless.

Who could forget his week 10 catch in overtime against the browns, where he pulls his groin, yet stays in the play and makes a huge diving catch on third down. Or how about a few years back when he makes the ridiculous catch against the Pats, only to keep his feet and run down the sideline for a 50 yard touchdown. To me, those are the type of plays that embody just who Cotchery is as a player.

I may be in the minority, but I really feel there is a price to pay for always trying to make the "big splash" with the big name guys. The past few years, we've had a nice balance between the superstars and the tough, gritty, hard nose players, but lately it seems like we've become enamored with the "superstar." I hope it doesn't come back to bite us in the ass, but i guess we'll have to wait and see.

8. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

They may just end up cutting him. I don't think they even care what they get back, they want the money and they have plans for that. His cap number is 3.7 million and not 1.8. I don't know what the new rules are regarding prorated bonuses now but they must know.

9. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Cutting Cotchery saves 458,334 this year.

10. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

Maybe they're floating these rumors out there to pressure him into taking a paycut?

11. ........

........ Trolls

And 4 million next year.

12. Benny the Jet

Benny the Jet Active Member

i get that his cap number is a bit high, but lets not forget that many of the "experts" are projecting that the cap is going to be higher next year, plus the fact that if we just got david harris signed to a long term deal and not franchised, we could save a bunch of money towards the cap that way...l

13. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Yeah so take care of it next year. Idk, it's not about sentimental value or any of that nonsense, I just think that his contribution in 2011 will be more worthwhile than the 5th round pick we get back.

14. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

Benny you have to look at it in a bigger picture, not just based on a few individual performances.

Cotch is a good receiver "but" as someone pointed out his YAC is ho hum, he's never double-teamed and he's not a big guy that can go up and get 'em in a tough spot like Keller, Plax or Braylon. We already have a better speed guy in Tone. What the team needs is balance, someone that will go across the middle and get a ball at its apex. That's not Cotch. We have plenty of options similar to Cotch now..LT, McKnight (both), Kerley.

I understand the guy is a fan favorite but I've never come away thinking WOW the guy has hands like Glue. He's had his share of drops and yes he's had a number of nice plays too but overall he's expendable and he's not the difference this year between them making a deep run in the playoffs or not. Bringing back Braylon "IS" a difference maker especially with the other weapons we have now.

15. ........

........ Trolls

Again, it's not like they're looking to trade him because they don't like his heart or leadership. The team is going to be in a tough spot next year. Last year we were able to forward some cash to ease tension for this season. We have few options for relief in 2012.

Before people respond emotionally to this, maybe you should try looking at it rationally. We've committed to several young core players. Who would you have liked to see unsigned in order to retain Cotch?

16. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Isn't that over the life of the contract? The dead money would be spread over the next two years, no?

17. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

This. (filler)

18. ........

........ Trolls

David Harris doesn't count for anything against the cap next year right now. He's not signed for next year. Any deal he gets adds to the cap next year. It doesn't save anything. It's not the cap this year that's a problem.

19. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

Too much dead money this year. Cutting him next year makes sense.

20. GreenHornet27

GreenHornet27 New Member

I know the Jets can use some more help in the backfield, and with the pass rush, but how about if they can trade J.Co to free up some space can they bring in Malcolm Flloyd?

Guy remains unsigned. I am pretty sure they were looking at him before they signed Plax, and he would be an upgrade.

I don't see them getting Miller. Boss just does not impress me. Heap is gone. So I think adding another TE is not gonna happen. Braylon is an after thought. I think his antics annoyed the hell out of Rex. Dude's got some growing up to do and it is evident that there are issues surrounding him that make him an unattractive pick-up. Otherwise the guy would be locked up by now.

I know the Ravens are looking into him. But perhaps the Jets are not satisfied with their offensive arsenal and do not think J. Co will bring anything more than a few first downs for the team this season. I know he is a fan favorite, and a likeable guy, but I see no reason why we should hold on to him if there is a way to improve the roster by letting him go.