Jets open to trading Cotchery (rumor)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Pavlus53, Aug 1, 2011.

1. JETSJETSJETS17

JETSJETSJETS17 Well-Known Member

But its like a video game without having the spend the $65 bucks

2. Coach K

Coach K New Member

Mr.E when your 2nd option just got done using smokes for currency the last 2 years. im not counting shit.

let alone for McKnight or Kerley to DEFINITELY step up (even though I think they will. specifically Kerley)

Cotchery is the only real target whos been here since Sanchez came.

and when I judge depth on a team. I usually just cross out one of the top two names at a position for the year and think can they survive.

either way, at 30 coming off back surgery by no means should any of us expect him to be a mainstay in the offense.

that being said even banged up rotating out the #2 and #3 slot, aside from his uncharacteristic drops he also made some big plays for us (patriots, browns) games.

i think my biggest point is if they plan on removing Cotch from the depth chart they better have a better idea than counting on Holmes/Burress and even an inconsistent Keller to carry this offense.

I hate playing the hypothetical injury game but if your take Holmes or Burress out the equation DC can pretty much do as they please to the passing attack.

3. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

I saw on Twitter that he was down to looking for a 1 year $5 mill deal. I have no clue where that rumor started though.

4. SoulFood

SoulFood Active Member

I agree that Cotchery did make some bad plays last year that he would never usually make. I don't know if that means we should get rid of him. I think he is more important than a receiving RB and we don't know what we're going to get from Plaxico. I would argue that right now, he is the 3rd option for Sanchez.

5. MadBacker Prime

Scotty doesn't know how important he may end up being in this offense.

SO DON'T TELL SCOTTY, SCOTTY DOESN'T KNOW, SCOTTY DOESN'T KNOW.

6. JCotchrocket

JCotchrocket Active Member

Mr. E, I gotta say I'm shocked. You've been preaching the importance of continuity the entire off-season and now you're advocating for nearly a completely new receiver corps?

I've no doubt that Cotchery isn't the player he was in 2006, but I still think you're underestimating his value to Mark Sanchez. Ditching Cotch for a defensive player is like robbing Peter to pay Paul, except that Paul's rich and Peter's the franchise.

Somebody mentioned clearing out Cotch to bring in Braylon. That's the only move that makes any sense to me.

7. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

I don't know if this has been covered, but since it's past June 1st the cap hit moves to 2012 and we get a bigger saving this year.

8. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

I'm not the one that put him after the running backs. When you watch our offense, the backs will get the ball more than a third/fourth receiver.

There's a difference between a slot receiver and a third receiver. He's not a slot receiver, he was just third string last season. Jeremy Kerley was drafted to play in the slot. If things go smoothly with his adjustment to the league, he'll get some reps in the slot.

9. Vorrecht

Vorrecht Active Member

Good to see I'm not the only one that just happened to see Eurotrip...

10. amuck57

amuck57 Active Member

this would SUCK.

11. MadBacker Prime

HAHA-

I'm happy someone knew the reference and not everyone thought I was just nuts.

12. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

I was the one that mentioned clearing out Cotchery to bring in Braylon. It makes the most sense to me as well.

Cotchery wasn't a key starter in 2010, so losing that kind of player doesn't hurt our offense continuity. Edwards was obviously the more important player to Sanchez.

Who's to say Cotchery didn't request a trade after being a role player for the past few seasons?

If Mark Sanchez is truly a franchise quarterback, he'll be able to win with whoever the front office brings in. We already have a top tier wideout in Holmes and Burress used to be a top receiver in the game. This team also drafted two role players in McKnight and Kerley. Depth at the position is important, but it doesn't have to be top of the line - they just have to get the job done.

For a long time, I pushed the idea of bringing Edwards and Holmes back for Sanchez's development. It doesn't look like it's going to happen.

Mark Sanchez hasn't said anything negative about losing anyone on offense - that's really all that matters to me. If he feels like he can win with the players that are suiting up for the Jets, then I'm fine with any moves this team makes.

13. Phear

Phear New Member

think you're giving cromartie way too much credit. hes a solid corner, elite? hell no.

14. ........

........ Trolls

Sentimentally, I never want to see Cotchery play for another team. Hell, I was MUCH more ready to have him resume his role as the #2 than bring in some of the FAs who were bandied about. Having said that, I absolutely can see why they would do this from a financial standpoint looking at next year's numbers. I have no idea how Tanny can manage the cap, it's way above me. However, in past years I've ALWAYS seen room to work with in the contracts he's designed. I don't see that any more in 2012 now that Scott and Pace have guaranteed money next year. It's the first time in Tanny's tenure that's happened.

However, I'm not going to lie and say that I'm excited in any way shape or form to see Cotch go.

15. ........

........ Trolls

Just curious, but where did you stand on the Cromartie v Edwards issue? It wasn't a very popular stance, but I was REALLY hoping that they'd retain Edwards and bring in a nickel corner.

16. mst3000

mst3000 Member

He was injured.

17. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

I wanted Braylon Edwards over Antonio Cromartie. There was never any doubt in my mind about that.

18. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

He is a lot more then just a 5th option, because no one else on that list is going to step in and start should burress struggle, get injured, etc. He provides valuable depth. Also as a 5th option last year, he still was pretty productive and had like 45 or 50 catches. For me its not worth a 4th rounder to get rid of your only real insurance at WR should holmes get suspended or burress struggle, or anyone get injured.

if its to bring in a defensive player, im all for it. but not just for picks/cap room. and if it IS for picks/cap room for next year, it makes more sense to wait until closer to the deadline, to see what we have in plaxico

19. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

I didn't know his hands were broken.

Also, his back is still fucked up. A ton of you guys bitched and moaned about Jimmy Leonhard not being able to bounce back from injury, well what about this guy?

He's over 30, he's coming back from a pretty serious surgery, and he's not a top option in our passing game. Would I like to see him stay? Sure, why not. ...but it won't be a huge loss to our offense.

20. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Thats just an excuse. A painful herniated disc will not let u get up from the bed. Personal experience. There is no way in hell he had a 'painful herniated disc' and was still running full speed routes.