Jets open to trading Cotchery (rumor)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Pavlus53, Aug 1, 2011.

1. JdotGriff

JdotGriff Well-Known Member

I called that this was gonna happen over a month ago. Im sure none of us have anything bad to say about cotch because he has always been a dedicated Jet no matter what we asked of him.

Problem is he is a 3rd option WR that a wide majority of us shat ourselves when we thought he might be our number 2 reciever. (pun intended) Signing ellis and trading cotch might free up just enough room to bring in the FS/SS or Passrusher we need.

Im pretty sure we will be looking at one of our draft picks to step up

2. Klaus Casanova

Klaus Casanova New Member

The Jets are doing due diligence to explore all options as has become their calling card over the past few years. It's possible they could find a receiver depleted team desperate enough to over pay in a trade, but also possible that his back injury makes them nervous.

3. curtis

curtis New Member

Cap space people. An extra 4 million is helpful.

4. ........

........ Trolls

This wouldn't save us much money this season, but it would save us $4 million off next year's cap. Tanny can't simply push money back every year. At some point, he has to account for that backloaded money. Cotchery is likely to be a cap casualty next year either way. If he's traded this year, his entire signing bonus skips forward to the cap. We'd only save about $500k on this year's cap, but it would give us $4 million in 2012 instead of he $2.3 million we'd see by cutting him next year.

5. ........

........ Trolls

Did you miss the draft this year?

6. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

michaelombardi Michael Lombardi
    Paying a third wide out 4 mil is hard to do with the cap being a 123 mil.With Burress now, the Jets could use that money else where--smart

JC why is everyone just assuming Burress will play well and stay healthy for 16 games + playoffs as a starter!?!? I sure as hell hope Tanny isn't giving that for granted...

7. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Its that and I think he wants to add picks to the draft next year.

He has to. This team needs an infusion of 9 picks in one year, and 5 of them have to be heavy contributors.

06 needs to happen once more.

8. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

So what team is going to pay him $4 million?

9. rholt168

rholt168 Active Member

Then I wouldn't be able to shout "try and double team and get burnt by Jerricho" every time he catches a ball.

10. DeathByJets

DeathByJets Well-Known Member

Tanny makes smart moves. I would bet if they move Cotch, they will pounce on Malcolm Floyd or trade for another WR.

11. ........

........ Trolls

Great point. We're going to have a tough time financially next season. Adding an extra pick could either help us keep that down or help us move up if there's a receiver we want in the draft.

12. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Agreed, but while it could make some sense with Holmes + Edwards (2 WRs in their prime) in my opinion it makes little to no sense with Holmes + guy who hasn't played football in 2 years and is 34.

And the "he was keeping in shape in jail" excuse doesn't cut it... Revis was keeping in shape while holding out and he still had his hammy bothering him all season long...

PS Let's not forget the knowledge he has of the system is very important. Don't know how fast of a learner Burress is but it take a while to learn the route tree.

#32 Mambo9, Aug 1, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  13. mute

mute Well-Known Member

the highs and once again the lows of this crazy FA period.

14. ........

........ Trolls

No one has to pay him 4 million. Lombardi's an idiot. His base salary is 1.8 million this year and 2 million next year.

15. SouthBayJetsfan4life

SouthBayJetsfan4life Well-Known Member

I think you are overstating this a bit.

I like Cotchery, but he's replaceable.

16. dmarz45

dmarz45 Well-Known Member

The only way I would be happy trading Cotchery is if we got Braylon.. Ill be upset if we trade him only to free up cap room... if we get braylon we will easily have the best WR corp in the NFL...

17. ........

........ Trolls

I'm not disagreeing. I'm just telling you that tough choices are going to have to be made with as much money as we have committed to 2012 already. People this morning are acting like we should be out there pursuing MORE free agents. This should be a wake up call that we don't have many easy options to clear up space.

18. ........

........ Trolls

Then think of it as trading him so we could keep Cromartie.

19. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

Speaking of idiots - i was listening to espn radio and the presenter was referring to comini and said something along the lines of "Rich said that Plax is not as good as Edwards and anyone who thinks he is doesnt know anything about football"

errr no-one thinks he is as good but he is, you know, a lot lot cheaper and not looking for a long term contract.

20. rholt168

rholt168 Active Member

Probably not going to happen, but if it did our entire WR corp could potentially be suspended if all three of them had a wild night together.