Who would you like next?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JohnnyThaJet, Aug 1, 2011.

1. JohnnyThaJet

JohnnyThaJet Active Member

Seeing as we have had a pretty successful offseason so far it seems as though the Jets are just a few pieces away from being a complete team once again. Now ive toss ed around a few FA idea for moving forward and would love too hear some fresh ideas that arent just lost in some random thread as well from the board.

Here are a few i like:

Signing Zach Miller or another solid TE- I love the idea of giving Mark more targets too play with , another TE for 2 TE sets would completely add a whole new element to our offense . Especially the run blocking skills Miller would provide. Now it depends on how much he costs but if its for around 3-4 mil i dont see why not.

Signing Matt Roth- We still need a solid passrusher aside from Pace , signing Roth, a experienced 34 passrusher could really help the Jets short term. He hasnt gotten a plathura of offers from the league so he might come cheaper than expected.

Signing Donte Whitner- Too sure up the secondary we need another solid safety on this D, Whitner would be an upgrade over Pool IMO.

Sign Lofa Tatupu- THIS IS ONLY IF HE COMES CHEAP , on a one year deal id love this guy as depth at MLB, there on in certain schemes we can move Bart too OLB. He will probably start somewhere else but if no one bites Id love too see him at the right price

Here are some ideas I like, feel free too discuss and share your own ideas.

#1 JohnnyThaJet, Aug 1, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  2. PinPointPenning10

PinPointPenning10 Well-Known Member

I don't think we'll have the money for any of those players, Whitner maybe but honestly I don't think he's better than Pool/Smith. Tatupu's not going to be cheap, there's no way he's going to switch systems to come here and be a backup LB.

Best thing Tanny can do right now is resign Harris long-term. That'll free up an extra few million we can use on depth and bringing back vets like Ellis.

3. Cellar-door

Cellar-door Active Member

I would think that almost noone else major is an option, Cromartie and Plaxico probably ate up almost all of the cap space we cleared.

4. JohnnyThaJet

agreed id love too bring back Ellis as well , we need amentor for Wilk

Tatupu i only put on here if the market is gone for him because of injury, but i realize that is a BIG if.

5. PinPointPenning10

PinPointPenning10 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I just think he's a big enough name/talent that someone will give him big money and a starting job.

6. JohnnyThaJet

I wouldn't consider any of these guys major per say , it all depends on the cap hit Tanny assigned on Cros contract for 2011. Remember, Holmes is only at 2.5

7. JohnnyThaJet

*cough* *cough* Giants.

8. Cellar-door

Cellar-door Active Member

I can't imagine they would crazy backload 2 deals this season, it's suicide. We have 88 mil against the cap before Holmes and Cromartie and that is assuming they let Harris walk. Holmes deal probably counts for 12 or so million next year, if you back load Cromartie that puts you at 110-112 and only gives you 8 million to resign your free agents.

9. VanderbiltJets

VanderbiltJets Active Member

Thought this would be fitting: where exactly do we stand (approximately of course) under the cap? We got any leeway to get a nice haul at Safety or OLB?

Regardless of all that we need to sign Shaun Ellis ASAP.

10. REVIS ISLAND 619

REVIS ISLAND 619 New Member

I think we need to address our OLB's some how still. Call up Jason Taylor I'm sure he'd jump & be cheap. we all know the cap's working against us now so it's gonna be a challenge.

11. CONN-JET.2.0.3.

CONN-JET.2.0.3. Active Member

SIGN THIS BEAST. JT for vet minimum would be totally worth it. He fills the role of backup, mentor, and change of pace guy(not Calvin, lol).

12. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

Harris deal, Ihedigbo, S.Ellis and a Revis extension would be my priorities. Doubt they get to Revis.

13. Southtexasjetsfan

Southtexasjetsfan New Member

Wooo hooo antonio cromartie.,,,,resigns

14. J_P_5

J_P_5 Member

Randy Moss,Bob Sanders and Zach Miller would complete the roster assuming Ellis and Jason Taylor return

15. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Moss isn't coming here, thank god.

Sanders is a Charger. Let's see him play 6 games this year.

Miller's a decent option

16. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Why would Revis agree to a new deal? And how do you extend him after he signed a contract after one year.

17. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

This is usually accurate and if it is now it means we had 5.4 mil left after the Buress deal and before Cromartie's. Depending on how that is structured we may have crumbs left to try and sign Ellis and maybe Taylor. Other than that I don't see what else they can do.

http://www.nyjetscap.com/salary.html

18. YoungJet

YoungJet Member

Don't forget, we still have 3 million worth of veteran exemptions, (3) 1 millions dollar exemptions. I suspect we try to sign Ellis and Taylor each for around 1 million, so they will not count against the cap. Also, we will sign Harris long term which will free up somewhere between 3-5 million.

19. fltflo

fltflo Active Member

Really want to see Tanny get the Harris contract done now. We need to get this guy locked up long term, plus, he has earned it. The man has played his ass off, kept his mouth shut in spite of others getting paid all around him

In todays "look at me world", twitter, facebook press release, utube, it's refreshing to have a guy like Harris playing for the Jets. A true team player who knows in the end he is going to be rewarded for his loyality and play.....Tanny pay the man!!!!! Of course, the added bonus of freeing up just a bit more cap room doesn't hurt either.....

20. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

1. Zach Miller seems like a decent idea - Jets - and Schotty especially - should learn how to use double TE set effectively in both running and passing situations. (I actually love double TE formation.)

2. I'm not so keen on Matt Roth signing - is he any good?

3. Whitner, I might take a flier on, if he comes cheap

4. Tatufu was MLB in 4-3 system. Would he fit?