2011 New York Jets Free Agency Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mr Electric, Jul 19, 2011.

1. CONN-JET.2.0.3.

CONN-JET.2.0.3. Active Member

Yea I'm all for Pool and BigCat to be back but how much money do we have left? I think tomorrow is going to be interesting.

yes we need the full sized image to figure this out!

2. JCotchrocket

JCotchrocket Active Member

Not a chance.

We drafted Jeremy Kerley to be our future slot receiver, Patrick Turner has caught balls for us and we also picked up Scotty McKnight. The wide receiver situation is set.

If Manny Lawson were "a poor man's Vernon Gholston," he'd simply dissolve into mush like hot jello every time he stepped on the field.

3. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Bring back Pool and Ellis (if we can, of course). Regardless, we have ourselves a nice FA period despite the dramatics.

4. JamesHasty40

JamesHasty40 New Member

if we have any money i'd like to grab a decent tight end along with Poole and Ellis

5. JdotGriff

JdotGriff Well-Known Member

This is not true by all points. Lawson ahad a good year in 2009. Still shows speed and strong burst's.
    If he has a repeat of 09 in him guy could really be what we need to get to the QB.

6. SouthBayJetsfan4life

SouthBayJetsfan4life Well-Known Member

The fact that Niners, who are desperate for pass-rushing help, are not even trying to resign him, tells you all you need to know about Lawson.

7. Badom

Badom New Member

I am really surprised you all feel satisfied with our Free Agency. We didn't improve the team, as we replaced Edwards with Buress, we lost Brad Smith and some of our Defensive FA will probably not come back. And paying Cromartie like he is a TOP 10 CB ????

We are not a better team compared to last year, and our weaknesses remain (pass rush, kicking,...). Did I miss something ?

8. Boss Revis

Boss Revis Active Member

We had/have tons of Free Agents from last year. Salary Cap is there.. you can't expect miracles.

I think we did as best as we can. Brought back 2 out of top 3 FAs, replaced Braylon with a very capable Plaxico..

Hope the rookies step up and give our D-line a boost and Sanchez/Greene improve.

Hopefully we could find a capable return man to replace Smith. He got a contract that overpaid him.

9. PinPointPenning10

PinPointPenning10 Well-Known Member

Considering the circumstances, it could have been a lot worse. The improvement will come from (hopefully) a step forward from Sanchez, a youth injection on the DL, and a breakout year from Greene. Brad Smith is replacable, and Cromartie is a borderline top-10 CB.

10. PinPointPenning10

PinPointPenning10 Well-Known Member

Next step: get Harris resigned to a longterm deal to free up some extra cash for Ellis, a safety, and some depth.

11. Boss Revis

Boss Revis Active Member

Still want to bring in another pass catching TE to matchup with the Pats

Kevin Boss possible cheap option

12. Badom

Badom New Member

I really believe Mark Sanchez who only really started one season in College will show a major improvement this year as he did last year. And with Tom Moore our game should be more pass-oriented.

I am quite sceptical as regards the receivers (WR & TE) situation. Edwards was Sanchez main target and if he dropped too many passes in his first year, he had a much better second year.

But of course, as soon as the season will start, I will join all of you backing Rex Ryan's words to win the SB!

13. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

Boss wouldn't be bad and since he's already in NY we might get him at a good price, but I like Zach Miller better. He had better stats with shitty QBs throwing the ball and playing on a crappy offense.

Zach Miller
    Oakland Raiders
    Height: 6-5 Weight: 255 Age: 25
    Born: 12/11/1985 Tempe , AZ
    College: Arizona State
    Experience: 5th season

2010 - Catches 60, Yards 685, YPC 11.4, TDs 5
    2009 - Catches 66, Yards 805, YPC 12.2, TDs 3
    2008 - Catches 56, Yards 778, YPC 13.9, TDs 1
    2007 - Catches 44, Yards 444, YPC 10.1, TDs 3

14. Boss Revis

Boss Revis Active Member

No doubt but sounds like we can't afford him.

15. CONN-JET.2.0.3.

CONN-JET.2.0.3. Active Member

You are forgetting the 2 fresh bodies we got for D-line and 3 new skill players for offense. Last year was a miracle that we got holmes, braylon, and cro on 1 year deals. 1 of them had to go. We are fortunate that were able to get the poor man's version of Braylon.

ps - jetsfan - original source for sig por favor

16. VanderbiltJets

VanderbiltJets Active Member

How many more contracts left to rework?

17. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

There was almost no way we were going to 'improve' the team given the fact we had three big FA's and were brushing up against the cap even before this offseason (and the cap going down on top of it). Signing two of the big three and replacing Braylon with Plax - thereby saving a bunch of long-term money we could use for other positions - was just fine. The key was not to have the offseason be a total disaster, and it wasn't.

Brad Smith's the most replaceable part out there, how many great returners have we been able to replace under Westhoff? He was never much as a receiver per se. Losing the wildcat's the only thing we'll miss but you can always find someone to run that for a handful of plays every game. If we lose another role player on defense, big deal - Rex can always figure out a guy to plug into that spot.

And there's really no way we were going to improve the pass rush in FA regardless, we tried to address that in the draft anyway.

#2737 NYJFan10, Aug 1, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  18. vedmedv

vedmedv Member

we resigned Cro!!!

Great Job!
    I was getting worried about that situation but everything great.
    Didn't need nnamdi, too much $$$.

19. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Whatever happened with that contract offer to Digs? I would love to see him and Ellis back as our last two signings, moreso than Pool. Maybe look at Renaldo Hill? I just don't want to go into the season with our only two starting caliber safeties being Smith and Leonhard.

20. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I think we have had a damn good week so far, yes missing out on Aso sucks but to be able to get 2 of our big 3 FAs back, get Plaxico(I prefer edwards but it sounds like the jets didn't want him at any price and they would no better than us), bring back Holmes, Eric Smith, Wayne Hunter,... I thought we had enough weapons even if we didn't bring in another WR after the Holmes re-signing but adding Plax will be big at some point this season.