Jets Make Offer to Cromartie

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dude, Jul 31, 2011.

1. mute

mute Well-Known Member

2. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Give me 1 more chance! 1 year $7 million yo!

You see my Madden skillz?

3. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

You know what would have been cool? If Champ Bailey decided to be a FA instead of signing back with the fucking Broncos

4. ........

........ Trolls

No, when he was there with EA and Woodson, they ran mostly man coverage. He played a lot of nickel there as well, just like in Washington.

5. jets2884

jets2884 Active Member

I see alot of people writing off wilson so quickly because we tried to get Nnamdi and are now trying to lock up Cro. I don't think its that the team doesnt trust Wilson. I think it's just that if you have the opportunity to upgrade you do it. Its not a bad thing to say that Cro and Nnamdi are better players than wilson right now. It is only his 2nd year people.....

6. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

I've been saying this (on TGG) since before free agency even started.

If Cro is making rediculous demands let him walk, yes he's our best option at CB, yes his hands are better than Rogers, and yes he will ask for a $#!t load of money.

I mean think about it.
    If we would've went out got Rogers instead of messing with Nnamdi we more than likely would have Rogers and Braylon right now. In stead we're begging Cro to forgive us for going after Nnamdi and are willing to lose Braylon and give hime a huge contract.

Braylon+Rogers > Cromartie

7. ........

........ Trolls

Everyone knows they're better right now. If you lock Cro up for 5 years, though, you're basically writing off Wilson. He wot develop as a press corner in Rex's system if he's always manning the slot. You also create financial problems by committing money that's needed elsewhere.

8. Brunell's Debt

Brunell's Debt New Member

I agree that the Jets are mainly just trying to upgrade. That said, I don't think that they trust Wilson--how could they? He wasn't very good last season, and because of the lockout the coaches haven't gotten to see him at all this offseason, they have no idea if he's improved or not.

Handing him a starting job is just too big a risk for a team that's supposed to be contending for a Super Bowl.

9. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Is there any talks about the Jets reaching out to Rogers? In terms of Wilson's development and Cro's asking price it might be the best way to go I think.

10. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

You're assuming Revis doesn't hold out for 2 or 3 of those years.

11. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

It's not that I don't think Wilson will improve, or that he isn't capable. It's that we're contending for a SB and I would rather not have a question mark at such a crucial position in our scheme. I don't think one more year at Nickel will hurt Wilson's career, whereas a subpar year as the #2 CB could severely fuck up our chances next season. This is why I'd prefer a stop-gap like Rogers.

If we sign Cro long term, I don't think it'd ruin Wilson's career here either. The Nickel in this scheme gets practically as much playing time as the top 2, especially in today's pass-happy NFL. He'd still be a key cog.

#191 Jake, Jul 31, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
  12. ........

........ Trolls

That's why you sign a low 2/solid nickel instead. You grab someone who can start if absolutely necessary. You don't drop 10 mil on a corner when you have 11.5 locked up on the other one.

13. fltflo

fltflo Active Member

I certainly don't want to over pay Cro, while he would be and important peice to have for this s defense, I feel another Aso screwing coming. The longer this goes on the more I feel like the Jets are going to be used as bidding bitches only to see this guy go to the Fadiers or 49er's.

Seems to me we should not get sucked twice in the same FA period by the same asshole agents and left at the alter again. Offer the guy tops, 8 million ( still think that is over paying) and call it a day. He he wants to go lose with old man Al for more money, God bless him and his 20 kids...

I to, like others have concerns about what seem to be the Jets CS lack of faith in K-Dub ability to play the CB spot this year. Yet, I do find it hard to believe that Rex and Pettie can't come up with ways and schemes to protect him and or another F/A CB ie, Rogers for another year. I just don't want to see the Jets killing the future cap for someone who can be replaced in the next year, if we can just hold on...

14. The Jutty

The Jutty Banned

Didn't the new CBA kind of make holding out pointless? If not I also read on here that his contract is setup so it's not financially advisable to hold out.

15. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

I think far too many people spend far too much time fretting about per-season average and total value of these contracts. The Asomugha deal is $25m guaranteed on a 5 year deal, Joseph got $24m guaranteed on a 5 year deal. Cromartie will get the same sort of money, whether it is backloaded to inflate the average or not. I'd expect him to sign either a 5 year deal with $22-23m guaranteed or a 4 year deal with $18-20m guaranteed.

16. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

Why does he care what his current contract says if he's holding out to get a new one?

He gets an $18m bonus this year. I'd imagine he might just be smart enough to put some aside for a rainy day.

17. mute

mute Well-Known Member

way too much.

18. The Jutty

The Jutty Banned

He loses 30k per day for holding out and if he doesn't report within 30 days he gets an extra year tacked on to his contract.

19. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Agreed... even in Rex's D where corners are so important. You only need one highly paid CB. Then you have to sorround him with capable players in the secondary...

PS Revis can hold out all he wants but now all the other very good CBs in the league (Aso included) are getting around 10-12 mill so he won't be able to ask for much more than that.

#199 Mambo9, Jul 31, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
  20. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

I'm betting he reckons that when he gets a new contract it will have a big enough bonus to cover his fines. He's also, in this scenario, indifferent to the extra year(s) because he wants that deal ripped up and a new one drafted.