Jets sign Plaxico!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Jul 31, 2011.

1. sanchizeqb

sanchizeqb Active Member

At 6'5" he is the tallest target available too. Sick.

2. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

You're gonna compare a QB to a WR in the first year back after missing multiple seasons? Plaxico literally has to run 10 yards, slant, jump and catch. He doesn't have to read a defense, decide where to run and his athleticism to get away from a defender. This isn't even a comparison in my mind. Obviously there is going to be some issues with him getting back into football shape for almost all of preseason and maybe a week or two, but this isn't even close to Vick trying to come back.

3. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

How are people upset over this? We likely would have had to pay Braylon close to 8-10 million a year over several seasons just to keep him. Instead, we pay a guy who was clearly better than Braylon 2-3 years ago 3 million for one year. And yeah, he's 34. So what? It's a one year deal. One of the amazing things about Tanny is how many extremely talented players he has been able to bring in and STILL MAINTAIN CAP FLEXIBILITY going forward. If it doesn't work out? It's a lousy three million in a salary cap worth over 100 million. Big deal.

4. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

So was Edwards.
    Edit: I was really hoping we'd sign him for at least 3 years. I think he outgrew all the immature bullshit.

5. bucknasty

bucknasty Member

Love the signing he's Gunna come into the season with a lot to prove, and the fact that the steelers were looking at him as well gives me a good feeling about this

6. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Funny, a couple minutes before Schefter broke the story, Plax predicted Eagles-Jets Super Bowl on his Twitter.

7. kleckotheman

kleckotheman Member

Fantastic signing

Here's why:

Braylon would have cost at least $5-6M a year for multiple years.
    He simply was not worth that. Not with Santonio already on the team making his $.

The Jets should draft their next starting WR.

Secondly, the two things that I was worried about missing with Braylon was his physicality with CB's and his blocking. Both underrated needs on this team.

Plax is even more physical than Braylon and an even bigger target.
    And his size means we don't lose the blocking either. That was a key thing that we needed to retain.

Lots of upside on a 1-year signing. No long term financial or player downsides. Now re-sign Cro and the team is shaping up quite nicely.

8. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

He was a gifted receiver but he also repeatedly behaved like a jackass and got into legal trouble. maybe he has decided to get his act together and live his life in a better fashion. If so this could be a great move because he has the size and good hands to be effective in the RZ. If not, he will probably be arrested again within a few months and back in jail on a probation violation. Its up to Plax.

9. xmscott

xmscott Well-Known Member

High risk players. Plax, Holmes. Braylon, Cromartie. All off field issues. Why break the bank on them off the bat?

10. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

Why not?
    fillah

11. ........

........ Trolls

I think we all would have preferred to have Braylon back. There are some advantages to this.

However, I hope this doesn't still mean Cromartie is coming back. I'd rather have that money go to Heap, Lawson, and a nickel corner.

12. milo

milo Well-Known Member

For shooting Brady in the leg?

13. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

I said it another thread....it's good to see you posting again.
    Oh...this is a sure sign we're resigning Cro. Rex loves his CBs and he is the best one left.

14. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Braylon at 5 million a year is a fucking bargain and if that's his asking price now I say go for it. Red zone 3 wide spread with Braylon/Burress outside, Keller in the slot and Heap @ TE? Yeah GL with that

I can dream right? lol

15. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

I think Strickland is going to be taking his old job back. Hopefully he can stay healthy this time.

I'm lukewarm on Lawson. Frankly, I'd rather see the Jets go after Matt Roth unless he re-upped with the Browns.

16. DanR

DanR Active Member

YES!

This is great!

17. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

It's not a dream. I wholeheartedly agree with you. If Holmes is averaging 10 mil. a year (yeah, this is football, so not exactly), then 5 or 6 to Edwards is about as reasonable as yo can expect. I think Iggy said it, if that's the contract he signs. then that sucks....because he was a HUGE part of what's been going on here the last 2 years.

18. ........

........ Trolls

If Braylon were only asking for something in the 5 to 6 range, we should have re-signed him. The problem is that he's been asking for so much more.

I don't disagree with this at all if we can invest a 1st or 2nd round pick in our #2.

Definitely agree re: the blocking. Plax was always an excellent blocker in Pitt and NY. I like this as long as he's in good shape. I just wish we could have worked him out first, but the new CBA has a lot of teams hamstrung.

19. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Why are people thinking Braylon wanted $5-6 mil when it was reported he wants #1 WR money? That's more like $8-9 mil. I loved the dude, and before I knew Plax was a legit option I would have said fuck it, give him what he wants. But this signing COULD make a lot more sense for us financially and football wise:

-We aren't tied into Plax for more than a season.
    -It gives us a big target for this season to bridge the gap to next year's more powerful FA class.
    -It does the same to bridge the gap to next year's draft where we can find our long term #2.
    -It saves us money this year to re-sign Cro and/or other FA's.

20. Jets42long

Jets42long Member

Seems like we overpaid out of desperation. That said, if he can regain his old form this will be a great move.