Green Bay Packers 3rd rd. WR James Jones Interview

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Scikotic, Apr 29, 2007.

1. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

So I sat down with the Green Bay Packers 3rd round draft pick WR James Jones last thursday night for an interview, here are the details of the draft. Off the record questions are not included for reasons of privacy.

- How did you feel your Combine/Pro Day at SJSU went? Do you think it helped or hurt your stock?

I feel for the most part it helped my stock go up. I ran a better 40(4.50) then at my pro day ( 4.59) I also benched 225 lbs. 22 times, so I think that had to help a bit.

- What will you miss most about Spartan Football

Im going to miss the college experience, getting up early and working out with my teammates, the tunnel run before the games. Im going to miss it all.

- Most memorable experience at SJSU

(laughs) Winning the New Mexico Bowl Game.

- Do you think that the recent success of San Jose State helped contribute to you being recognized as a top WR in this years draft class?

I think that is pretty true for the most part. It obviously helps that San Jose State had a good year, and it probably helped me get recogized.

- What are your initial feelings going into the draft

oh man....I'm anxious for the most part, but I'm more nervous then anything. Im not sure what to expect this weekend.

- What WR in the NFL would you say your playing style mostly resembles?

I'd say T.O, because I play the position physical and I have good hands.

- Explain the kind of player you feel a team would be getting if they draft you?

Big, Strong, Physical player. I dont have the blazing speed that some teams expect, but Im not goign to drop balls. Im in good shape and I make sure that I stay that way. Im not going to get injured a whole bunch.

- If you get drafted this weekend, who will be the first person you call, from SJSU?

Everyone is going to be at my house, so It's hard to say who Im going to call first. Most likely one of my teammates. It would be my Mom but she is going to be there with me.

- What are your plans if you don’t get drafted this weekend? Do you plan to try and sign on with a team and as an undrafted free agent, or do you see yourself pursuing another career.

I'll go in as an Undrafted Free Agent, we'll see what happens from there. Hopefully I can sign on with a team.

- Tell me the first thing that comes to mind when I mention the following phrase that were used to describe you

o Great hands

haha....yea

o Underrated

yep, I guess I'm underrated

o 4.59- 40 yard dash

That was my Pro-Day time, not my best time.

- About SJSU

o Dick Tomey

Wow...just a great coach, great guy...

o New Mexico bowl

Words really cant describe that game....

o James Jones

Calm, relaxed..

o What’s one thing that people who watch James Jones would be interested to know about you?

I used to wrestle back in High School and I loved it. I went to Gunderson in San Jose.

#1 Scikotic, Apr 29, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2007
  2. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

Post draft Interview: April 29th

Q: What was your initial feeling after getting word that you were drafted in the 3rd round?

A: My initial feeling was I started to cry because I was in shock, my adams apple went into my stomach because I was just so excited. I thought I could sneak into the 3rd round maybe with the workouts that I had, but I was still surprised to hear my name called.

Q: Who was the first person you called?

A: Coach Keith Williams, my wide receivers coach.

Q: What’s more exciting about Playing in Green Bay? Playing for Brett Favre, or playing in Lambeau Field?

A: Both of them. Playing for someone like Brett Favre is blessing, but at the same time being out there playing at Lambeau Field is a blessing as well, I’m just glad to have the opportunity to do both.

Q: Most analysts felt you would be drafted in the later rounds, instead you were picked in the 3rd round over many coveted wide receivers. Were you surprised that you went as early as you did?

A: At the combine, I meet with a lot of teams and they liked me a lot. For me it was a matter of running a good 40 time.

Q: What do you think will be the first thing you buy after you sign and receive your first paycheck?

A: The first thing I’m going to do is take care of my family.

Q: Do you have any idea what number you want to wear out in Green Bay?

A: 82, and it’s available. My first and second year playing here at San Jose State I wore number 82.

Q: The frozen Tundra is pretty cold. Being from San Jose, have you ever been in any weather that is similar to the frozen tundra?

A: I’ve played in the cold and rain and the snow a little but, I definitely will have the long sleeves on. It gets real cold up there.

Q: Your teammate John Broussard got drafted today in the 7th round by the Jacksonville Jaguars. Did you get a chance to talk with him yet?

A: I just got done talking to him earlier. I know he will go out there and make best of the opportunity out there in Jacksonville.

Q: So when is your first scheduled visit in Green Bay?

A: This Thursday I leave for Mini Camp for 3 days, and again on May 17th.

3. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

So rotoworld says the Jets are in contention to sign JJ. IMO he's just another Cotchery type of player, so I'm not sure he's a fit. However, if he signs with us I am going to be ecstatic for obvious reasons...

4. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

He's not a home-run hitter and neither he nor Cotchery are slot guys. Do we really need a battle at possession WR? I hope we can still talk to Edwards.

5. JetRizing89

JetRizing89 Well-Known Member

id rather have braylon but this isnt bad either

6. GreenSpleen

GreenSpleen New Member

I think JJ is swishier than Cotchery. Would be a good addition. He's dangerous after the catch.

7. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

I think I'm the only WI Jet fan here so let me give an opinion as somebody who watches James Jones play every weekend.

I will only be happy at WR if we get Braylon back or this guy. I honestly have no idea who I would want more...probably Braylon because of the ceiling and him knowing the system..but I LOVE James Jones. He would be an excellent plan B at WR.

8. REVIS ISLAND 619

REVIS ISLAND 619 New Member

exactly ^^^^^

9. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

Well Holmes is our long term obvious number one. Cotchery is great. I think Kerley will be a fine player too. We just need better depth. Holmes/Jones/Cotchery is a damn fine top 3 WR corps for me...

10. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Don't really want, drops too many balls, and it's easy to look good when you have Rodgers throwing the ball and Jennings, Driver, and Finley taking pressure off.

11. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

Sorry I don't want the dude that mass murdered 900 people at Jonestown on the Jets. That is just fucking creepy.

What next Tanny is going to sign Joel Rifkin, Dennis Rader, Gary Ridgeway and John Gacy?

12. REVIS ISLAND 619

REVIS ISLAND 619 New Member

I'd rather have Moss or Floyd.

13. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

14. Johnny English

Johnny English Well-Known Member

Best DL ever. I don't care how big the centre is, he's getting the fuck out of the way if John Wayne Gacy tells him it's the quarterback or his family.

15. Coach K

Coach K New Member

finally some humor

on a sidenote why havent we signed zach miller yet

16. He's a solid #2 (especially with a strong #3 in Cotchery) and he is more physical than either Cotchery and Holmes.

17. Coach K

Coach K New Member

on a sidenote people calling him a cotchery clone are wrong

just cause they have simliar frames doesnt mean theyre the same

Jones is much more explosive after the catch than Cotch.

18. F Miami

F Miami Active Member

I think we ought to take a chance on him. He looks like Jennings' clone when he's out on the field.

19. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

we need a home run hitter type of WR...Someone you can trust on the deep ball

20. DeathByJets

DeathByJets Well-Known Member

I watched a fair amount of the Packers on Sunday Ticket and he was pretty good (I was primarily focused on the catches he was taking away from Driver....who was on my FF team).

Found this on youtube:

[YOUTUBE]JcAe1KIcA3c[/YOUTUBE]