2011 New York Jets Free Agency Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mr Electric, Jul 19, 2011.

1. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

I disagree with all 3... well, maybe not Jones.

Huff sucked in OAK. He got better in his contract year.

Buchanon is a #3, and he's old. Meh, pass.

Jones can come here, but there are better WRs.

2. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

This would make me very happy if signed, even if we have absolutely no need whatsoever at halfback, I feel that the upset and lack of reliable depth makes this move have significant upside. Because lets be honest if Greene goes down our backfield goes into complete chaos.

3. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

4. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Lets be honest LT can't handle the load (if Greene went down), McKnight is completely unproven, and Powell is a rookie who is missing most of his training camps.

For a run first team, we really are lacking a lot of the ground and pound, especially since we are relatively certain to lose our second best offensive weapon this off season.

And its not like the guys gonna be asking for real money, hed very clearly be getting a 1 year minimal deal with tons of upside and virtually no risk whatsoever (outside of using up a roster spot)

5. sanchizeqb

sanchizeqb Active Member

Ronnie Brown for our wildcat >

6. Jim

Jim New Member

If they are going to have to pay cromartie 9+ then would it be better to do that or possibly go after Asante Samuel instead who would be making about that amount? Then maybe they will still have enough left for Braylon or Floyd depending on how much they sign the rookies for

7. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Training camp hasn't started yet and he already signed. And RB is a plug and play position dude, you see it every year

8. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/0900...tributes-compensatory-draft-picks-to-23-clubs

9. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Youre still talking the massive amounts of OTAs and learning the playbooks talking to the coaches and all of that.

I mean its august already, preseason games are supposed to start in just over a week. Sure RB is a plug and play position, but you still have to be able to understand our blocking schemes and how our plays set up. Its not like this guy is going from one nfl team to another, hes fresh out of college and is going to be lacking time to get everything together.

I just think the upside of a guy like Kevin Smith on a run first team is so much greater than the only downside, which literally is just using up a roster spot.

10. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

Hate to say it, but I agree.. this has not been a good start to FA, especially since it started so promising with wrapping up Holmes and appearing so close to landing the big fish in Aso.

Since then we apparently have lost Edwards, Pool, Brad Smith, Gholston (NOOO!!!!), and are going to have to probably overpay for Cromartie.

That being said, I have a lot of confidence in Mr. T to pull a rabbit out of his hat like he seems to do every year. I posted in some other threads that I really believe we're going to see a trade for a player none of us saw coming and everyone's opinion on this offseason will do a 180.

11. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

They aren't into Edwards, it's obvious. We like him alot more then they do.

12. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

Smith is injury prone and has a ton of miles from his UCF days. No thanks

13. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

How much could Brodney Pool be asking for that the Jets have basically given up on him supposedly? I haven't heard any rumors regarding him at all, have I missed something?

I thought he played very well last year, and I can't really imagine he's commanding huge money on the market right?

14. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I think you are right on here. IDK what it is, I thought Braylon was really good for us last year but it is appearing like they never liked him as much as we all have.

I think he made Woody very,very mad with that DUI last fall. Didn't Woody organize a plan where you can call at anytime, anywhere for a ride NO questions asked - to avoid situations like that? I remember hearing that, and it probably made Woody pissed off that Braylon didn't just follow that plan.

Also, It obvious that Woody is really trying to market the Jets into kind of a "Yankee-type" franchise. I think a lot of our moves the last couple years, were 50% about winning and 50% about exposure.. a sanchez, a santonio holmes, a asomauga MAKES huge headlines and continues to have people talking about Woody's team. I think also thats why he loves Rex so much because love him or hate him, Rex creates A BRAND. People are always talking about the Jets from NY to Montana because of Rex and thats huge for an owner, its just an added plus they are winning.

The Braylon DUI really shaped that brand negatively and perhaps maybe Rex and Mr. T. and a lot of the players and real fans want Braylon back but word is coming from Woody's office to go in another direction. Am I real off-base here?

15. Theo Huxtable

Theo Huxtable New Member

I guess this is a security blanket if we lose out on Cro?

1. Revis
    2. Wilson
    3. Buchanon
    4. Strickland
    5. Cole
    ?

16. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Smith would also sign for the vet minimum (or near it) on a one year trial deal, and wouldnt command us giving up a pick player or anything for him.

Hes also showed significant promise playing behind Detroits PUTRID offensive line, still while still retaining a respectable 4 YPC avg. He has good hands out of the backfield, and is only 24 years old.

Not to mention he was healthy enough to play in 25 of his first 32 games in Detriot carrying the bulk of the workload on his own (20 + touches a game).

I just think when you have a guy this young who has shown promise and its literally going to cost your franchise shit its a smart move with plenty of upside.

And he only had a TON of touches in 07 in college, last year he actually got a ton of rest playing behind Best and the other guys in Detriots backfield.

17. Trifco

Trifco New Member

Actually that would make sense.
    I hate when owners step into sport decisions, but that's common everywhere. If Woody said NO, then there wouldn't be nothing Edwards, Rex, Tanny or -obviously- the fan base could do in order to keep Braylon.
    We lost Braylon before that game against Miami.

18. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

I'm not starting a thread on this, but where the fuck has Junc been through all this? I'd say he's been noticeably absent.....He's arguing on his favorite site...FinHeaven?

19. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

Carr >>>>> Buchanon.

Big time. Especially with the limited practice/learning time in camp.

20. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

TheJetsStream Manish Mehta
    #Jets are "expected to make big pitch" for Plaxico Burress, according to @EdBouchette. #nyj

I wouldn't have a problem with this.. motivated with a big chip on his shoulder..