Osi Umenyiora.....

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by guinness77, Jul 29, 2011.

1. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

yeah, yeah, he doesn't exactly fit our system. yeah, yeah, he can be a bit of a baby. But...with Rex and Pettine heading our defense, we can't make it work with a true pass rusher? Why not?

Flame away. I would love to just get Cro and Braylon back, that would fine, but Umenyiora wants out, and we're not far...so, like I said, flame away.

2. jetsrule430

jetsrule430 New Member

we have the $$$ if we wanted to, but id rather get r own players back.

3. Docny1975

Docny1975 New Member

Was talking about this with my buddy whose a giants fan. I think would be great move. Giants are over the cap as it is give them maybe a 4th this year and conditional next. Giants DE's are used for zone blitz's all the time so he has some limited experience in pass coverage as well.

4. JoeWillie130

JoeWillie130 Well-Known Member

Wouldn't put it past tanny to pull of a trade like that

5. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

I REALLY want him, hes a good pass rusher and we are dying for one. We have the money to spend, lets do it.

6. BK_Jetsfan

BK_Jetsfan New Member

I can't imagine the Giants would trade him to us, but the Eagles traded McNabb to the Skins so I guess anything is possible.

7. MagillaGuerilla

MagillaGuerilla New Member

He actually has the build of a Rush OLB, he's long bodied player with equally long arms. The question would be the asking price, which I can't imagine it being anything less than a 3rd.

I would like this move a whole lot more if it happened it January with no lockout, it would give him a lot more time to transition to OLB.

8. dmarz45

dmarz45 Well-Known Member

Umi would be a great addition to our defense.. Banta-Cain could do some damage for us too!!

9. F Miami

F Miami Active Member

Not too sure about Osi, but, yeah, go get a pass rusher.

10. strngplyr

strngplyr Well-Known Member

Banta-Cain belongs on dancing with the stars for all the spinning he does in a tackles arms. We dumped him for more reasons than being injured right before TC started in my opinion.

11. Cellar-door

Cellar-door Active Member

I'm not a fan of trading assets and signing a big new contract to take a guy who has always been a hand in the ground 4-3 end and hoping he stays dominant as a 3-4 OLB. You can't really project what he will do, and even if he only loses a bit in the transition you ended up overpaying

12. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

I was only suggesting this because a) he is a pass rusher and b) I don't think he would cost more than a 2nd round pick maximum and c) we have some money to fuck around with now. Maybe that's wishful thinking on my part, but like I said in my OP, I would be more than happy with Cro and Braylon, but this guy gets to the QB, no matter what kind of defensive set he's in.

13. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

IMO, he's a tad bit overrated and I sincerely doubt the Giants would consider trading him to us, regardless.

14. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

The Jets have 4 down linemen more often than not in passing situations.. I think he would be fine here. Rex knows how to use players to the best of their ability.. he could definitely play the Suggs role from Rex's days in Baltimore.

A pure pass rusher is the thing the Jets are missing the most.. he would fill it, but I don't see it happening.

15. ToonWalker

ToonWalker New Member

He would be a demon as a pass-rusher on this defense...but it's a moot point, since the Giants would NEVER trade him to the Jets...never.

16. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Can we get Kiwanuka for cheap? He has some experience playing standing up (altho I don't know how much better he would be than Pace or Thomas)

17. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

But why? Other than one game we play them this season, we're not even in their conference. I know this probably ain't gonna happen, but why not just throw it out there. He makes way more sense than Samuel or Jackson or some of the other hold out threads I'd seen.

18. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

They just signed him for 2 years yesterday, I'm almost certain.

19. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

already re-signed i think

20. ToonWalker

ToonWalker New Member

First of all, while quickly reading your post I thought it said "more sense than Samuel l. Jackson". Ha

I think the Giants now see the Jets as media/attention rivals. Rex and Crew are the brash upstarts looking to knock the Giants off of their NY football dominance in this area. For them to agree to help the Jets and keep them on the back pages, they'd have to be blown away by an offer. I just don't see it.