Mike Tannenbaum Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Scikotic, Jul 27, 2011.

1. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

C'mon. Jets FO got schooled here. Texans played it perfectly - make your best offer and if he doesn't take it, get the next guy.

2. The Green Dude

The Green Dude 2008 Best Avatar Award Winner

If you think about it... good riddance. This allowed us to free up a shit ton of cap space to get alot more help then throwing it all at Aso... I'm not mad... kinda relieved if you ask me.

3. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Who says they aren't in talks to get the next guy?

Your post is highly presumptuous.

4. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

I agree. The Jets FO let this go on far too long. They should have given NA a deadline of 11 pm last night. If he wanted to be here, he would have signed when SF and Hou dropped out. By extending it another day, NA made it obvious he was either milking the Jets or using them. In this ridiculously short FA period, negotiating for three days makes no sense. I love Tanny, but he got burned. Let's see how he recovers.

5. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

The Jets FO to a degree is full of themselves. They overvalued what it meant for this guy to want to be a Jet and they got burnt.

6. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

They needed to get out earlier. The next guy is now 1m a year more expensive than he would have been last night.

7. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

What? Don't make shit up.

The longer you wait on a FA, the cheaper they get. Its been like that for years.

The price goes up only when there is competition for a player - see the Nnamdi deal.

8. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

I saw a report that said the Jets gave him until last night, and then the Eagles offered him that fat contract.

Highest bidder won.

I don't see how he got burned. If it were for a player that wasn't as prolific, then I might agree with you.

9. warpedsoul

warpedsoul Active Member

If you think about it, NA and Cro share the same agent, and I'm sure that Cro wouldn't sign anywhere until NA set the market. So in a sense, why wouldn't the Jets put their name in a hat to get the #1 CB on the market if #2 wouldn't sign anyways?

I don't think the Jets FO got played, I just think NA dragged this out too long. What did we lose in the end? Nothing really. What we did gain is more cap room by not signing NA and by restructuring the 4 contracts.

If Mike and the FO are as good as we think they are, they will come out smelling like roses this offseason by signing Holmes, Edwards, Cromartie, and getting a pass rusher somewhere.

10. Queenlizzie13

Queenlizzie13 New Member

How about Holmes, Edwards, Cromartie and Jenkins? Sound good as a consolation prize to Aso?

Okay, wishful thinking, I know. But I would love for it to happen.

11. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

Nnamdi is now the highest paid DB, that's changed the market. Joseph is better than Cro, but I bet Cro gets the bigger deal. That is the problem.

12. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Then why wasn't it leaked until about 5 minutes before that the Jets were out? The Jets were in full court press, especially since they asked some veterans to re-structure.

The Jets lost. It happens, I'm not freaking out or anything. This team made it it to the AFC title game 2 years in a row and is in good position to, at the very least, bring back more or less the same team that did it last year. But the Jets lost on Aso, they did everything they could and lost.

13. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Cro wasn't signing anything until Aso's deal was done.

14. PinPointPenning10

PinPointPenning10 Well-Known Member

But if that had happened and we gave him a deadline, everyone would have been mad we didn't stay in it till the end. And besides, we don't know what went on behind the scenes, Tanny might've had very good reason to stay in until today. I don't have a problem with him doing so, when you have a chance to get a player like Nnamdi, you do everything you possibly can and if it doesn't work out, you move on to plan B, like Tanny's doing now. Jets FO did nothing wrong here. If they had lost Cromartie and Braylon waiting for Nnamdi it would've been a different story, but they didn't.

15. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

holy fuck... I'll spell it out.

Why do you think no other top CB besides Joseph has signed a contract? Because they wait for Nnamdi to set the market. That's how this business has operated since Free Agency's inception.

You really think that Cro is going to sign before Nnamdi, when they have the same agent?

This is how it works. The Jets couldn't get anyone else for cheaper when they're going to say "no, we're waiting for Nnamdi's deal to set the market"

Why do people forget that there are two sides to a deal?

16. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

Yes. Cro is also not good enough. Like I said, the best play was made by Houston - make Nnamdi your best offer and if he doesn't take it, sign Joseph.

17. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Maybe our CS doesn't feel that way and thinks Cro is better.

18. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

I know, the highest bidder won.

But burned is the wrong word.

Lost is correct, they lost out on Nnamdi because they didn't have the money to spend 12 million on a CB with 42% of the contract guaranteed. That's too much money guaranteed at one position.

19. PinPointPenning10

PinPointPenning10 Well-Known Member

Texans were probably told that Nnamdi didn't want to go there, whereas I'm sure the Jets were honestly in this thing until the end, when Nnamdi chose the Eagles instead. Jets would have had no reason to drop out if they weren't told they were out.

20. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

Maybe they do. And understand that this is just my opinion, but it should have been apparent early on that they were getting played by Nnamdi's agents. They needed to make their best offer, set a deadline and move on if he didn't take the deal. Even if you're not signing another CB before today, you're making it clear that you won't be played. Cro has the same agents who now know where we are with cap room and will squeeze out every penny they can get.