Patriots acquire Haynesworth

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Cakes, Jul 28, 2011.

1. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Fat Albert is worthless. He had a couple of good years, but stunk it up in Washington.

2. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

I am growing suspicious of what Cheat is up to. Haynesworth has clearly demanded that he will not be a grunt up front. He has iterated times and again how much he hates playing NT in 3-4. His best asset is his ability to rush the passer as an undertackle, in 4-3 situation. Cheat obviously knows this - I know this, how the hell he can't? - and he still got Haynesworth. Are they switching to 4-3 now? (Shaking my head.)

3. James Calvin

James Calvin Banned

I think that just as Rex partially tailored our D to stop the Pats, they are trying a similar tactic to stop the Jets.

Except they gots sloppy fatz.

4. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

I find this hard to believe.

Strength of Patriots lie in their offense now, believe it or not. Also, interestingly enough, the strength of the Jets lie in their defense. If Cheat was trying to custom-tailor his team to beat the Jets, he should have done something on the offensive side of the ball - like making the running game relevant for instance. Adding Haynesworth literally does nothing short term or long term.

Maybe he sees something I don't see, but I just don't see him a good fit with Cheats. (On a side note, Haynesworth may bitch a lot, but he doesn't cheat. Another sign of how he doesn't fit in NE)

5. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

Yeah.... stepping on a guys head while the guy is lying on the ground with his helmet off is not cheating...

6. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

That's called 'being dirty' - well, he does fit in NE after all.

But that is still not cheating.

7. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

if he has any fire left, it is a good pick up for only $5 million and a 5th. of course, the public opinion has been that his fire extinguished under the piles of money he made from the Redskins. I don't think a player can ever get that back once they let it go, especially someone as clearly undisciplined as him, but he can still be dangerous in spurts even if he isn't a consistent threat every play.

my question is how his contract is structured and how much guaranteed money the Pats are obligated to pay. if his guaranteed money has all but been paid by the Redskins, there really is no risk because they can cut him at any point and his salary without owing him any significant money.

I'd be surprised if he is a Patriot longer than two years.

8. James Calvin

James Calvin Banned

The pats O did well enough to win them 14 games in the regular season, despite their crappy D. All the teams that went beyond 1 win in the playoffs have strong defenses.

Pats fans have been whining about having no pass rush... as if one player on the line will solve that. I don't think Bellichek is as dumb as a regular pats fan, but they do need help on the D. They can't win a defesive struggle game- they win shootouts.

9. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

All the guaranteed money has been paid out. If they don't like what they see, they show him the door.

10. strngplyr

strngplyr Well-Known Member

Patriots only played in the base 3-4 for 40% of the snaps last season. Pats also have one of, if not the best NT in the game for the base 3-4. Haynesworth won't be playing NT in NE, he'll be a DE if he's in the 3-4 or his usual DT spot in the 4-3 most likely.

11. JetBlue

shit, that's a no-brainer of a trade then.

how long he will be a Patriot will simply depend on when his yearly salary gets too high, because you know the Pats won't pay it and he probably won't restructure.

12. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Clearly, they need huge help on their defensive side of the ball - that's a given. They have ignored their DL for years, while stripping themselves away the talents they had - you know, the likes of Seymour for instance. Their OLB situation is just about as sorry as the Jets' situation, if not worse. Their secondary is as porous as it could possibly get (30th last season.)

So what does adding Haynesworth do for them? I just don't see how this addition addresses any of their need. He is even worse than Moss in that, he specifically demands the position and the type of play he wants to play to succeed, which is the undertackle position in 4-3; he wants to shoot the gap and go for the hunt. There is no place for that in Belichick's 3-4 system. In Belichick's system, the DLs are constantly two-gapping. With Wilfork clogging up the middle, if Belichick plans to use Haynesworth at the same time, that means Haynesworth is in either of the DE position - not NT position, but still dirty trench work he abhors.

This is why I originally started questioning whether Patriots are now shifting to 4-3 instead of holding on to 3-4 that they don't have the personnel to run effectively with. I still think running 4-3 is going to be a monumental task for Belichick, and I don't think that's happening, but then I just don't see how Haynesworth fits with Patriots in any meaningful way.

13. James Calvin

James Calvin Banned

From the Pats forum:

WOW.

Gentlemen...

The Patriots just became prohibitive favorites to win each of the next 3 Super Bowls.

Remember where you read it.

14. pats-hater

pats-hater Active Member

The pats are the bestest team in the LEAGUE!!!

Recognize fool.

15. pats-hater

pats-hater Active Member

They'll use him on 3rd downs mostly IMO.

16. strngplyr

I liked that post on our forums assuming it was sarcasm. If you think anyone honestly believes that picking up AH for our 32nd ranked 3rd down defense makes us instant favorites you need your head checked.

17. James Calvin

James Calvin Banned

I'm sure you think things are funny here, but for me the pats forum is comedy gold.

18. JetBlue

they are such pessimists...minimum 5 straight Super Bowls.

19. strngplyr

I'll agree with that. I still don't believe the person you quoted was being serious when he said that, his use of large font and bolding/underlining makes it pretty obvious sarcasm to me.

Whatever works though, you have your forums and we have ours. :)

:manning:

20. James Calvin

James Calvin Banned

Several others posts there saying he's the most talented Defensive lineman in football. And that he'll be a good lit 'pats soldier' for THE MAD GENIUS.

I'd put him in the the bottom half of the top 30, personally.