Brad Smith Free Agency...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by dmarz45, Jul 26, 2011.

1. JetFanInMD

JetFanInMD New Member

e_man Erik Manassy
    Rookie WR Scotty McKnight to Wear #15 | JetsRant jetsrant.com/2011/07/26/roo… via @jetstwit

2. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Brad was #16

3. coachmimz17

coachmimz17 New Member

Brad Smith = Leon Washington = Justin Miller = Jerricho Cotchery = Chad Morton = Johnathan Carter....

They are a product of the system for the return game.. Mike Westhoff could go back there and average 28 yards per return in this system...

4. dmarz45

dmarz45 Well-Known Member

I can see Brad Smith in MIA running the wild cat against us.. that would be horrible to see..

5. JamesHasty40

JamesHasty40 New Member

i dont see Cotchery being a product of the system at all

6. bloke911

bloke911 Active Member

This and fu$# the Patriots.

7. Revis24Island

Revis24Island New Member

I love Brad Smith and everything he's done for the NYJ, but I consider him gone. I just hope he doesn't go to an AFC east team and F**K us over 2 times a year like Danny Woodhead

8. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

Exactly. Go to the Bears. Don't need to see him running a kickoff back against us wearing a Fins uniform.

9. nyjunc

Danny wasn't much of a factor in our biggest game last year.

10. wa2k99

wa2k99 Active Member

Living in Chi-town, I think that move is funny since they already have Hester. He doesn't solve their WR issues either. Nothing for him to do but the wildcat. And the more that is run, the more Jay Cutler complains.

11. nyjunc

Hester is a great PR, he's not a great KR so he'd fill the KR role as well as the wildcat/slash role.

12. Prince of Thieves

Prince of Thieves New Member

Brad was a great Jet. That being said, I don't think he finds the same success elsewhere. He was more a product of the coaching staff. I think any team that gives him a substantial deal will walk away disappointed.

13. wa2k99

wa2k99 Active Member

I don't disagree with you

14. coachmimz17

coachmimz17 New Member

When he returned kicks as a rookie.. Special teams is all about athletic individuals being taught a system.

He had a 28 kpr avg and a td vs the rams in the season finale in 2006 or 7 I believe.

15. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

How does returning kicks have anything to do with his talent as a WR?

Smith got a good deal to go to Chicago. Good for him.

16. ItalianoBloodline

Well, KO returners will never be as important as they once were. The NFL rules have changed this offseason. Just read this article below....

"The art of the kickoff return is dead. During the next NFL season, when an announcer yells, "Goodbye!" on a kickoff, it will mean the ball is sailing out of the end zone, not that Devin Hester or Brad Smith is taking a return to the house for six game-changing points.

The reason for this is a simple rule change intended to promote player safety: Kickoffs will now be taken from the 35-yard line instead of the 30. Doesn't seem like much? Look at it this way: Just about every NFL kicker can nail a kickoff 70 yards (the old requirement to reach the end zone line), but only a select few can consistently kick it 75 or 80 yards.

This means that in the past, the kickers who could barely reach the end zone were taught to put more hang time on their kicks and place them in the corners, thus reducing the distance of their kicks. Now, those same guys will be able to put their kicks five yards deep with average or worse hang time. What return man is going to take the ball from five yards deep with guys sprinting at him from five yards closer than last year?

Safety in the NFL is obviously becoming a larger priority, and it makes sense to cut back on dangerous situations like kickoff returns, but this is not necessarily a step in the right direction.

According to ESPN's John Clayton, "With the input of coaches, the committee decided to allow return teams to have a two-man wedge. The committee proposal suggested the elimination of the two-man wedge, but coaches argued that would make it harder to have quality returns."

Quality returns? There won't be any returns. Kicking has long been a misunderstood skill, and the casual fan might not care about the ins and outs of the position, but some Eagles fan is going to get tired of cannon-legged Cowboys kicker David Buehler kicking the ball through the uprights from his own side of the field all game.

Kickoff returns are dangerous plays, and no one knows how much they will decrease in the next season, but I'll tell you one thing: Instead of changing the rules, they might as well just do away with the process altogether and give the offense the ball at the 20-yard line.

A speedy return man has always been able to swing the momentum after a score, but you will not be seeing much of this anymore. America's game just got a lot more predictable"

I for one hate the new rule change. It's complete BS in my eyes. Take the return game away from the NFL? No fun league is correct. But yeah, Brad Smith won't be missed as much because of this horrible rule change.

17. JetRizing89

JetRizing89 Well-Known Member

like smith alot but he sucked as a reciever and you dont pay kick returners 4-5 million a year

westhoff has proven time and time again he can find kick returners

18. ItalianoBloodline

What don't some of you understand though? Westhoff or no Westhoff... The era of the kick returners are over and done with.

Ever heard of the 35 yard line? Kick Returners have no chance at running them past the 30 anymore.

19. Revis24Island

Revis24Island New Member

He wasn't only a kick returner, he ran the wildcat for us and he ran it very well. Not many guys in the NFL can bring what he brought to our offense

20. vilmatic

vilmatic Active Member

I thought, after SAntonio, Brad made the most game-changing plays last year for us. He has been very clutch and I'd hate to lose him, but it seems inevitable that SOMEONE will overpay for him. I wish him well, and pray he leaves the AFC