2011 New York Jets Free Agency Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mr Electric, Jul 19, 2011.

1. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

Yes. Yes it is.

2. nixhead

nixhead Banned

3. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

So the Jets knew what a CBA was going to look like before four months of negotiations and court cases? Damn, I'm glad our GM's that clairvoyant.

4. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Weren't those guys owed bonuses before the lockout started?

5. rock316nyj

rock316nyj Member

Adam Schefter on ESPN Radio just stated he expects Holmes to remain a Jet and could agree to a deal today. Also stated that his two favorites to land Asomugha are the Texans and the NY Jets. How amazing would that be!

6. maynardsmyhero-uk

maynardsmyhero-uk Well-Known Member

if that happens I may prematurely ejaculate...again!!!

7. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

I just want somebody to comment about if it's even possible to sign both. Hell Aso alone is still a pipe dream, but could you imagine if we signed both Holmes and Aso? The board would explode

8. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

If those reports of Aso getting 16 mil a year from Houston are true then he's gonna have to take a huge paycut to play here (apparently his bottom is 10 mil a year).

9. milcus

milcus Well-Known Member

If Tanny gets Aso and keeps Holmes, Woody should start building a statute for him outside of the Jets facilities. That would just be ridiculous.

And if he tops that by keeping Brad Smith, Eric Smith, and adding Antwan Barnes, they can start fitting the Jets for SB rings.

10. Mangold Goldman

I could have sworn I just read on the ESPN bottomline there was a source saying Holmes signed with the Redskins, it was a list naming players teams had signed, and Barry Cofield was next to Holmes, who I know agreed to sign with the skins.

Someone assure me and tell me Im wrong

11. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

They agreed to terms with Santana Moss, so someone there mixed up Santonio Holmes and Santana Moss.

12. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

Sitting here watching mike and mike, I think they would have mentioned it.... Especially since they reorganized the show seconds after schefty reported hasselback signed

13. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

It's not being reported by any reporter or website. That would be what the kids on the street call breaking news, so I doubt this is true.

14. rock316nyj

rock316nyj Member

You probibly saw Santana Moss lol....and yes it is certainly possible to sign both guys IMO judging by the way things should play out with Harris' extension and Sanchez's restructuring....With dead money off the books, I have seen the potential Jets cap room for this year being anywhere from $20 million to $35 million. They have plenty of wiggle room if the choose to release Bryan Thomas and LT (almost 7 million) and Revis may be restructured as well, although I don't see that coming. The things people forget, is that the first year of a long term contract generally isnt terrible against the cap. For example I could see a Holmes contract be structured like this....6yrs 48 mill with 22 gtd...year 1 $6 million, year 2 $7million, years 3+4 $8 million, year 5 $9million, year 6 $10 million...a deal like that would guarantee more than most receivers in Holmes' class and will not cause cap hell the first few years. Asomugha already had his big pay day and is almost certain to take less for NY. How much less, nobody knows. But I do not think it is out of the question to see him sign a 4yr $40 million deal, also cap friendly in years one and two ($8 million?) This would also leave room for us to potentially even keep Braylon unless he receives true #1 WR money, and with the 3 $1million veteran exemptions, Ellis may very well be back as well.

15. Mangold Goldman

Yea im guessing it was a typo and they meant Santana Moss, k thnx guys

16. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

Peter King is on Mike & Mike right now. He said the Jets are probably going to get a deal done with Holmes and that Nnamdi definitely WANTS to play for the Jets and it could be possible to sign him for something around $12 million per year.

17. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

Just watched itmyself and nearly fell over when he said that all things equal scrabble wants NY. Followed by Holmes expected to reach an agreement with us today. If we get one we should be happy. If Tanny somehow gets both.... Hell he will have pulled off a coup if nothing less.

18. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

Mike and mike talking about jets stealing both.... They are in awe at the possibilities lol this is awesome

19. maynardsmyhero-uk

maynardsmyhero-uk Well-Known Member

This could happen.....god I am getting excited...at my age that could be fatal!!

20. rock316nyj

rock316nyj Member

Even if Aso, for ego reasons, wants a deal for $12 million a year, it would not be difficult to do 4 years 48 million, guarantee him 26 mill, with the final year worth 18 that he knows he will not see and either be forced to restructure his deal at that time or be released...the more I listen, the more it seems like this may actually happen although I am trying not to get my hopes us