Brainlessly bash former Jet employee, Brian Schottenheimer

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by ThunderbirdJet, Sep 14, 2010.

1. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

It's funny that the teams with great QB play also have fans that don't complain about their OC. It's a really strange coincidence. If Sanchez makes that leap this year I wonder if the same'll happen here.

2. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

This isn't even true. Search a pats board the week after they lost to the browns last year. Every single problem they had with the team the whole year was blamed in their OC that week.

3. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

They complain, they just have less to complain about b/c the great QBs usually are making plays but sitting in Foxboro fpr Jets-Pats last january you should have heard the fans screaming about the OC when the Pats were down 21-11 and taking their time on that long drive in the 4th qtr that resulted in no points.

4. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Not at all.

(though Sanchez went two TDs for two drives with the headset... ; )

The introduction of pass plays that develop in less time than it takes to read War and Peace,
    (read reducing the number of times per game, I'm screaming 'deliver the F****NG BALL!) and Sanchez having enough 3-7 yard quick throws, that keeps his completion percentage above 60% is all I'm looking for here.

If we start seeing those, after not seeing them for two years, it's clearly not Schotty.

5. Hobbes3259

Hardly.

But Schotty makes you long for some of Paul Hacketts playbook

6. ukilledkenny

Raiderjoe could call plays all season and you would still be the only one longing for Paul Hackett.

7. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

This is the breakdown - not just Schotty offense, but NFL offense in general.

For any fluttering offense, they have a few core similarities.

1. They tend to be in a time pressure more often than not.

2. They usually fail miserably on 1st and 2nd down, especially on a crunch time.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Sounds too much like that offense some person named BS is running, don't you think?
    In case of Schotty, he calls cute plays to fuck up a perfectly fine drive every once in a while too. No fucking wonder this offense is but mediocre.

Defend him all you will, but the results don't lie. Jets offense is mediocre at best in terms of yardage, 3rd down conversion or red zone scoring. No matter how you slice it. It's been that way for YEARS. (And you guys will give me his unstable QB situation bullshit, completely ignoring how Kellen Clemens was a staple in all of Schotty's offense, yet he failed so miserably. If Schotty was such a genius in raising a new QB, just what the FUCK happened with Clemens?)

8. Brunell's Debt

Brunell's Debt New Member

Have you considered the possibility that Clemens failed not because of Schotty's offense, but because he's an awful quarterback?

9. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

If Schottenheimer coached Joe Montana, the 49ers wouldn't even have made the playoffs because he'd be calling a 3 yard pass on every 3rd and 8

10. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

I agree with you 100%.
    I like our QB but any offense will look inconsistent if the QB is completing less than 55% of his passes. It's just not good enough. I've had debates on here with people who want to blame that on the OC for not putting him in good down/distance situations. I'm not buying it. I've seen too many wide open receivers have the ball thrown way over their heads or behind them (check out those passes to DK late in the 1st half of the Colt playoff game). I'm not blaming that on Schotty (not to mention plenty of drops that aren't his fault either). Sanchez needs to be more accurate with his throws and up his completion percentage to at least 60% ... and I believe he will.

11. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

Are you kidding? Lets rewind... Hackett destroyed USC football. I lived in LA when the Jets hired him. He leaves USC and they become one of the most dominant teams is college football.

He comes to the Jets and we get one of the most boring, predictable offenses in the NFL. BS pisses me off sometimes, but I would never trade him for the crap I saw in the early 00's.

12. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

1. That could be the case, I concur (which means Mangini failed with his 2nd round pick. Remember, Jets didn't draft Clemens to be the perennial back up that he is - they wanted to draft someone who can take over Chad Pennington's spot.) But at the same time, you cannot ignore the fact that Schottenheimer, with his ballyhooed expertise in raising a young QB, has failed to make even a serviceable QB out of Clemens.

2. During the same time span, Belicheat made a chicken soup out of chicken shit in Matt Cassel, a 7th round bum who never started a single game even during his college years. Of course, then Cheat wisely sent that bum packing to KC so the bum can start sucking at someone else's organization while producing another high draft pick for himself. (Ultimate chicken soup, if you ask me.) Contrast that with the failure BS produced.

3. If you consider the facets of QB coaching, play calling or conducting an offense in general, you will surely see that Brian Schottenheimer is a mediocre talent no matter how you slice it. Just look at the track record of results he produced with the Jets. (And how he failed with Drew Brees in Chargers, if that pleases you.)

#2232 Zach, Jul 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  13. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Clemens failed for, IMO, these two reasons:

1)His line got him killed.

2)He has zero pocket presence to begin with.

He can't feel a rush, or thinks there is a rush when there isn't one. And then he unleashes the people's elbow onto the turf.

14. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

1. it's hard to make a guy who can't play in this league(as a starter) into a starting QB. The Jets realized their draft mistake pretty quickly on this one.

2. Matt Cassell inherited an UNDEFEATED team from the year before, he learned under the BEST QB in the game for years and he led them to 5 LESS wins than the year before despite a much easier schedule.

3. How did he fail w/ Brees exactly? Helping develop into one of the best QBs in the NFL was a failure?

15. Brunell's Debt

1) Yup, the Jets failed with that second round pick. Frankly, Clemens wasn't a great college QB and there was no reason to expect him to be a great pro. He had a good arm but couldn't make quick decisions and he always made himself a sitting duck in the pocket. Blaming Schottenheimer for Clemens not becoming a star is like firing Joe Girardi because Kei Igawa never became the Yankees' ace--some guys just aren't as good as their advance billing.

2) Cassel spent 3 full seasons learning the playbook, then was plugged into arguably the greatest offense in NFL history. There's no comparison between his situation and Clemens/Sanchez's.

3) How did he fail with Brees? During his time as Chargers QB coach Schotty turned Brees from a marginal starter who could barely protect his job from Doug freaking Flutie to one of the most productive QBs in the league.

16. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

1. So you ARE admitting Schottenheimer actually can't make a chicken soup out of chicken shit. Good. That's a progress. And I said Schottenheimer failed at making Clemens a serviceable QB, not an all-NFL QB either.

2. Cassel spent 3 years learning the playbook for 3 years, but Clemens didn't? Are you stupid? Or are you saying that 7th round bum was better prospect than Clemens? (You can't win this argument no matter how you slice it. BS failed, when Cheat didn't.)

3. So why was Rivers drafted in the first place, if Brees was even marginally serviceable starter?

17. Brunell's Debt

I never said that Schottenheimer could "make chicken soup out of chicken shit." That's your weird metaphor, not mine. And I'm not sure where you think I'm progressing from, considering that I've made exactly 2 posts about Schotty ever.

I still don't understand what the fact that Clemens has always sucked has to do with Schotty's current job performance, but whatever.

First of all, judging from your sentence structure and all the missing words in this statement, I'd be careful lobbing around the word "stupid" if I were you. Second, Clemens sat for only one season before getting a chance to start and showing that he wasn't up to the task. He went 3-5 as a starter in his second season in the league and the Jets decided to bring in Favre because they had no faith in him in 2008.

Compare that to Cassel, who didn't start for three full seasons, and was then plugged into an undefeated team in his fourth. Literally the only thing that his situation had in common with Clemens' is that they were both backup Qbs at one point.

I also struggle to see how "Cheat" succeeded, when you consider that the Pats missed the playoffs with Cassel and then Cassel has pretty much sucked since leaving NE.

Umm...because most teams aim a little bit higher than having a "marginally serviceable starter" under center. The Chargers didn't think that Brees was a long term solution, so they drafted a QB of the future. Then, while Rivers was learning on the sideline, Schottenheimer and Cam Cameron helped Brees develop into a star player.

By the way, I'd still like to hear an explanation of how Schottenheimer failed with Brees.

18. Hobbes3259

You missed the key word.

SOME.

What Hackett lived on, Schotty lacks.

(and FWIW, they looked ok in aught 2..especially the last few weeks. That 41-0 shellacking of Indy is still one of my favorite games)

19. Hobbes3259

Now the NYPost has gone brainless.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/schott_in_the_dark_CpvhpHDVIJBIOXYPF2qJYL?CMP=OTC-rss&FEEDNAME=

20. ukilledkenny

Hobbes desired playbook. The complete version.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]