2011 New York Jets Free Agency Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mr Electric, Jul 19, 2011.

1. maynardsmyhero-uk

maynardsmyhero-uk Well-Known Member

I would rather see Westerman than Thmas..if that overrated corpse is our starting olb this season we face another year of no pressure from the edge. He is earning 3.6 million and that is fucking criminal.

If cutting Thomas means we can resign Pool and Ihedigb plus some money towards a good 2nd CB then we do it.

2. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

That's exactly what I'm thinking.

Jamaal Westerman's entering his third year with us. Bart Scott didn't become a big contributor until his fourth season in the NFL. The coaching staff will know if Westerman's ready to contribute or not.

You sign a pass rusher like Antwan Barnes and pair the two up in a rotation. Problem solved.

3. It's an easier sell to get Sanchez to restructure. It won't end up costing him money in the long run, and the big thing it might do is allow the team to keep both Holmes and Edwards.

I think Holmes gets locked up early. As for Edwards, the Jets may bank on him wanting to stay someplace where he's comfortable. And because Sanchez has such chemistry with Edwards, he may be more convinced to shift around some money in order to keep Edwards.

4. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Antwan Barnes has never played a full season in the NFL. He's always been a backup too. The main reason for bringing him in is Rex Ryan's knowledge of the player.

Like maynard just said, Thomas is making $3.6 million in 2011. That's a joke.

Barnes won't demand that much money - not even close. (...and if does, fuck that)

5. That is probably true. I could see Thomas being the one gone. He has done a good job stopping the run, but I'm not sure he is as vital anymore. Pace should stay, as I believe the increased size and youth on the DL will help him get lanes to rush the QB. I doubt a big money FA OLB could be brought in, but I also think that there will be improved pass rushing because of the draft the Jets had.

6. ManlyGenius

ManlyGenius New Member

Thomas gets 500k in workout bonus and 3.2 in salary; some of the reports say we have to pay the workout bonus no matter what so it may be that you're only saving 3.2 million.

Barnes is going to cost money because he's a young 3-4 OLB who has shown flashes as a pass rusher.

7. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

That 3.2 million can lock up quite few depth players. It could also be used to sign rookies.

Flashes? The guy has 9 total sacks in 5 seasons.

No one should pay him over $3 million.

8. He's had 9 sacks in four seasons. I'm not sure if that would be as costly as Thomas, with or without the workout bonus.

9. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

It wouldn't be.

Barnes has played for Rex Ryan before. It's basically the only reason why I mentioned him as a potential signing. If we sign him, it's because Ryan told Tannenbaum to go after him.

He won't make more than $3 million in 2011. It'd be stupid for a team to pay such an unproven player that much.

10. ManlyGenius

ManlyGenius New Member

4.5 sacks last year. I think you'll be shocked by the market for Barnes but we'll have to wait and see.

The bigger point is that you can save some money and not get hurt that much by dumping Thomas and signing up a cheaper LB but it's not a huge place for cost savings.

11. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Again: 9 sacks in 5 seasons

12. maynardsmyhero-uk

$3 dollars is too much for Thomas, nevermind $3.2 million..he is a run stopper full stop. That should not be more than $1 million.

Oh god its good to talk football again.

Ref cbs I can see us going for Joseph and as for wr...I would love us to sign Steve Smith...he still has some miles left imo

Also dont be surprised if LT goes...$4 million is a lot for a 3rd down rb....I would keep him but Tanny is not frightened of a big move if he can get a key piece such as a pass rush olb/de.

13. I would absolutely take him, if he came as cheap or cheaper than Thomas, and it improved the pass rush while allowing resources to be allocated elsewhere.

14. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Jonathan Joseph is one of the best corners in the game. He'll make more than Cromartie.

If we're going to pay a corner top dollar, it may as well be Nnamdi Asomugha. I seriously doubt we bring in a top level corner. Kyle Wilson and a cheap veteran will do.

LT should be cut and re-signed to a much cheaper deal. I think he'll want to stay in New York.

15. maynardsmyhero-uk

Agree ref Joseph but i just see them making some sort of splash. If we can rrstructure Sanchez, sign Harris , cut Thomas and restructure LT we save approx $20 million on the cap.

16. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

LOL, wut????

17. maynardsmyhero-uk

Appreciate the input.

We will see how close I am to this when season starts...

18. It's probably true. It might not quite be $20M, but Harris and Sanchez restructuring and Thomas getting cut gets you closer to that number.

19. maynardsmyhero-uk

Sanchez restructure and heavy signing bonus saves approx $8 million this yr, Harris about $5-6 depending on bonus and structure. BT saves $2-3 milliion.

LT and BT will both get the Clemens chat...

20. IATA

IATA Trolls

We are planning on signing Harris to a contract that has him paying us several million dollars this season.