How about replacing Cro with Nnamdi? (Merged x67)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Titans, Jan 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

Unless Aso is willing to take a reduced salary to play a year with the Jets, I can't see it happening.. we have too many other spots to fill this offseason, starting with obviously our WR's.

That being said, i dont know if this was posted.. but according to Peter King's twitter, he "hears" that Aso wants to play for the Jets.

SI_PeterKing Peter King
    RT @Just_Nehpets: Where are the most likely places you see Nnamdi ends up? ... Guesswork: Dall, Phil, Hou, NYJ longshot. Hear he wants Jets.

2. bibigon

bibigon Member

I'm sure he'd love to play here. Clearly the two best at their position side by side, with nobody else really in the discussion, would be pretty cool to see.

I just think that's probably not super informed about what kind of contract we can offer him. Even LeBron, Wade, and Bosh took only tiny pay cuts to play with each other.

3. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Cro is good, but I think we can get a much more physical corner. I also hate that we spent a 2nd round pick on this guy for just one year.

I do not believe KW is the answer. Nothing leads me to believe he can handle playing opposite of, Revis. I guess we will see.

4. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

HAHA

I give up...

I'd ask you to explain but I don't want you to hurt yourself. Did you watch him play at all last year or just complain about him?

One easy way to break it down for folks that can't keep up with the game. The reason why he was noticed not finding the ball so much is because his coverage skills are so good. It would not have been noticeable at all if he kept getting burned, but he was almost always right on his assignment.

Get it?

5. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Not sure if serious....

6. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

I just have a simple question: did you watch Kyle Wilson play in college?

7. IIMeanDeanII

The reason he wasn't finding the ball was because receivers were blowing past his assignment in man coverage. His assignment was the receiver, yet, he was getting completely turned around and out of place on a consistent basis. He plays like he has no idea what he is supposed to be doing. It showed on the field.

I am not complaining about KW. I am stating my opinion from what I have seen from him so far. It could just be the speed of the NFL being his worst enemy last year.

Like I said, we will see, but I have a feeling he will not pan out based on what I have seen.

Nobody cares if you give up by the way. If he was right on his assignment, he would not look lost on the field as much as he did. He would not be getting turned around on a consistent basis if he was that good at covering his receiver. If he is getting turned around like that, he is blowing his assignment, not the other way around. You are supposed to keep a five yard window over top of your receiver, shadow your receiver, or force your receiver towards the sideline and control his movement. Kyle Wilson did not do any of those things well.

I am also taking into consideration that he was a rookie, but there should be certain indicators there that make us feel better about his projection in the NFL. I don't feel he is going to pan out.

8. IIMeanDeanII

Yes, I thought he was fantastic for Boise State. I know where you are going with your question. I can understand your argument.

I am not saying he will not pan out, I am saying I don't feel he is going to pan out in the NFL.

9. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Why do you "feel" that way?

10. dwalsh

dwalsh 2006 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

receivers were "blowing past" him all season? Man, we must have been watching different games. Sure, there were a few times he got burned, but that happens to every CB in the game, especially rookies.

However, he was usually right on his receiver, he just had trouble turning his head around in time to locate the ball. His problem wasn't covering receivers, it was breaking up the passes. That will improve with more playing time and more training with Revis (which he did this off-season)

11. IIMeanDeanII

Ok, I was not trying to say that receivers were annihilating KW on go-routes all season. Which I think you are assuming I meant. I just meant that receivers were blowing up his angles, his position, his assignment parameters. There is a reason why he wasn't knocking down a lot of those balls.

If you are right there to make the tackle, but not in a position to knock the ball down or intercept the ball due to a blown assignment or bad angle. Is that still good coverage in your opinion?

That is what I seen from KW for the majority of the season when he actually got to be on the field. I thought he looked lost, confused, and out of position a lot last season. I don't know how many times I watched him get spun around because he blew the assignment on his man.

Thinking about it, I may be premature on my opinion of KW. So I will stop, but it's just what I think right now.

Trust me, I hope I'm completely wrong. I probably am. So we will see.

12. zllehs

zllehs New Member

sure but you can for get about signing holmes, edwards and smith

there wont be enough money seeing as how he will command as much as if not more money than revis...

not to mention strengthening the Dline

is another CB worth all that?

13. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

say wut????

14. milcus

milcus Well-Known Member

Truth be told, NA plus Plax and lower level free agents is better than Cro, Tone and Braylon, with lower level free agents.

No qb aside from Brady has the nuts to throw at either of those guys. So, the Jets will have such an advantage by being able to scheme for defending only 3 guys on every play. You just dont have that luxury with Cro because he has shown himself capable of getting torched, a lot.

And with Cotch here, you dont really need to sign both Braylon and Tone. And, I would rather go with fewer weapons, since Schotty sucks, and force Schotty to pound the ball, and play it safe. It will be boring, but with a defense led by NA and Revis, the offense will rarely need to score more than 13-17 to win.

If we can get NA for 14-15, and maybe even 12-13, it is a no-brainer as far as I am concerned.

15. bibigon

bibigon Member

This is basically 100% of the cap room the Jets are going to have. We would be fielding a game day roster with about 18 players either making league minimum or the rookie salary.

It would be a great first couple snaps, and then start to look awfully funny as we had to rotate in depth...

16. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

Stop using long-term considerations to evaluate this, you'll ruin it for everyone by being right.

If Asomugha wants to take a huge pay cut to play for the Jets then I'll be all for it. I don't think he'll take a huge paycut to play anywhere, let alone the cut it will take to put his salary in acceptable range for a team whose top two priorities are(rightfully so) two starting calibre, #1 WRs.

Anyone who thinks Plaxico is a good replacement for either Edwards or Holmes is fucking blind. Sanchez needs to be surrounded by strong, familiar talent to help him develop, not old WRs who are two years out of practice. This team can't afford to start penny-pinching on the talent they're putting around Sanchez at this point in his career. They need to think long-term at WR and none of the bargain basement, faded star talent, one year lease names that are getting floated around on this board are going to be what the franchise QB needs them to be and no team that desrves to win should be trying to save money around their QB for a fucking corner-any corner-not even in Rex's defense.

17. nyjcanada

nyjcanada Active Member

No it's not. Mark needs to be surrounded with all the weapons possible. Plax coming out of jail is not a viable answer. Cro was servicable. The upgrade on Cro would be negligible once you consider Rex's adjustment and schemes. It would be much more worth it to retain Braylon and Santonio.

18. Jetskees

Jetskees New Member

Nnamdi is way way more than just a negligible upgrade over Cromartie. Adjusting for Rex's adjustments and schemes as you'd say, we'd be able to bring serious pressure on the QB all game long. We could put fat neck Eric Smith as a 4th or 5th LB and let him rush the passer or help double cover TEs. There are too many new options to list that Rex would be able to do with single coverage on the 1 and 2 WRs all the time.

I would take Aso and Plax over Cro and Holmes next year no question, but long term it probably makes more sense to lock up Holmes. Holmes is younger and helps ensure Sanchez's development, where as Aso is older and would probably only sign a short term contract with us (1-2 years) in order to have a shot at a superbowl and then still be able to sign a mega contract to finish off his career.

I think the reason so many people are saying it's more important to keep Holmes and Braylon is because it's just way more realistic that we could keep both of those than keep 1 and get Nnamdi.

Don't forget, we went to the AFC Championship game with a rookie head coach and QB. During that season we had Cotchery as our #1 WR until week 4, when Braylon was thrown into the mix and Sachez and him had to learn on the fly. Our offense should continue making strides this year even if we lose Holmes.

It's awesome to fantasize about Aso on this defense because I think it's probably Rex's wet dream, but I'm certainly not getting my hopes up.

19. zllehs

zllehs New Member

well we lost Kris Jenkins and JT might not be back.... sre we have 2 rookies but i still think the dline needs improvement dont you?

20. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

I don't think Plaxico is the best replacement for Edwards or Holmes by any stretch, but I don't think it's necessarily vital to keep both Braylon and Santonio. Obviously, I want to, and the added continuity makes both players the #1 and #2 WRs on the market for us, value-wise. But if they don't think they can pay them both, I'm fine with that. They very well could price us out of the market. Given the way Rex wants the Jets to play, receiver is of lesser importance. Under Rex, the Jets will always be a defense and ball control team. You don't necessarily need two great receivers making huge contracts to make that happen.

I'm going to assume we can bring back one of the two (Braylon/Santonio). Cotchery as the #2 gives Sanchez even more continuity. Then we need to sign at least one more quality receiver because the next guy we have is either Kerley or Patrick Turner, and that's not enough. Whoever that is has upsides and downsides. Plax and Moss could come at a discount compared to their talents. That's always something the Jets should look at. Whether that's the right answer, who knows. I probably would say no, but it all depends on the contracts people want.

The only reason I'd consider Plaxico is because he would be an extreme buy-low coming out of jail. With two years in jail, nobody can commit to him being a huge member. As a #3 receiver who can play in certain packages and use his size as a weapon, he's not the worst option. If we have to pay him more than $1-$2 million, it's not worth the risk. He'll have a lot of rust on him. So did Vick, and he was younge and a better athlete. But you can't teach size.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.