2011 New York Jets Free Agency Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mr Electric, Jul 19, 2011.

1. bibigon

bibigon Member

NFL seems to have passed a new CBA pending player approval. Looks basically like we expected, except there a $3.5M veteran player exception available this year to retain current players.

2. laxin

laxin Active Member

One thing i am still confused on is how dead money counts...like how does every team ratify it- like the cowboys who are over the cap. Is it definite that deda money counts???

3. bibigon

bibigon Member

Did the Cowboys even cut a ton of players at the end of last year?

Honestly, from the reporting, it doesn't seem like it was ever seriously considered that dead money wouldn't count. That might be wrong, but I haven't seen it addressed, and just seen cap figures with dead money included.

4. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Still don't get how people think losing LT would be a good idea by choice. He's a huge part of Sanchez's development. I'd almost say he's worth his price simply because of that. And the notion that McKnight can give us what LT did last year is kind of laughable even though I like McKnight's potential a lot. And someone wants to cut LT for Bush, who will probably be worse and cost more money than LT?

No question about it, LT NEEDS to stay if we want our running game to stay tops in the league and Sanchez to continue developing and growing comfortable. If we can get him at a cheaper price, hey, that's great. But if we can't? I don't care one bit.

5. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

it's not even our running game. he was so valuable to us giving Sanchez a reliable short yardage passing target. 52 catches, and 7.1 average per catch is great for Sanchez.

I agree with the McKnight stuff. I think McKnight could be a monster in the NFL, but he hasn't proven it yet. He had some big time rookie mistakes, that cost him confidence with the coaching staff, but unless this guy is a total moron..he will step his shit up.

McKnight has been posting on his twitter that he is pissed off about hearing people calling him a bitch, soft, puking, etc. Seems like he wants to prove alot of people wrong. But again, he hasnt proven it to the coaching staff.

6. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

I posted this tweet in the Jets Related Twitter thread...but i think it bares repeating here. Peter King has heard Aso wants to play for the Jets (Eat shit, Cromartie). Contender's discount?

At this point, I believe Aso is on the opposite side of the spectrum when it comes to Free Agents like Santonio Holmes. Holmes has his ring, and is looking for a big payday. Aso had his big payday (he'll probably get another, who're we kidding), BUT...he's hungry for a Super Bowl ring. I believe he'd take less to go to a contender. Just my .02.

7. JETSJETSJETS17

JETSJETSJETS17 Well-Known Member

A little white stuff just dribbled from my penial

8. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

Normally i don't like fueling these kinds of rumors, but Tanny has proven on more than one occasion that he's capable of doing the impossible. I think the Aso sweepstakes may deserve some attention from Jets Nation.

I could see Aso's agent calling up Tanny and saying "He wants to win a Super Bowl, can we make something happen"

9. RunLeonRun

RunLeonRun Active Member

Not only are we as close to any team to a ring, but coming here provides him with a new opportunity as a player. he'll actually get thrown at.

10. JETSJETSJETS17

JETSJETSJETS17 Well-Known Member

We all know that Rex LOVES his corners... I am almost certain he would say good riddance to Santonio and Cro if we had a shot for Aso.

11. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

Aso would have to take significantly less than he would see on the open market. There's no way Tanny will tie up a ton of $$$ at one position.

I don't think it's impossible...it will depend how badly Aso wants to come to the Big Apple and play for Rex.

12. bojanglesman

bojanglesman Active Member

I'd love to see it, but I seriously doubt it'll happen. I can't remember the last time I saw anyone take significantly less money to win. Unless he does that, there's no way the Jets spend that $$ on anything but a WR, particularly keeping the ones they have.

13. tubby

tubby Active Member

Pay him the vet minimum and have Woody accidentally leave a brief case in the open that Aso just happens to pick up.

14. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

But that's the caveat, Aso is loaded. I'm sure he's heating his house with $100 bills. Money shouldn't be an issue.

He'll still get a lucrative contract...but if his price is reasonable and fits into Tanny's budget, I wouldn't be surprised if Tanny pulls the trigger.

People keep linking Aso to Houston, Tampa and Wash. One team has never made the playoffs and is barely a .500 team, another team is still young and still rebuilding and the last team has Rex Grossman as their starter.

The Jets are in a win-now mode and I believe Aso wants to play for Rex Ryan. It's a stretch, but man, that would be the signing of the decade.

15. RunLeonRun

RunLeonRun Active Member

I think Holmes is priority #1 no matter what. There's no doubt in my mind we're gonna try and make a big splash for Aso. The big question is how much less will he take.

16. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I don't see the need to have so much of our cap taken up by the big $ it's gonna take to singing Aso and what we are paying Revis.
    I know it would be incredible to have that luxury but I'd rather go after a 2nd tier CB and save some $ for a few other pieces of the championship puzzle.

17. bojanglesman

bojanglesman Active Member

I think he could go to several other teams and have a good chance of making a super bowl, while still making a shitload of $$. Dallas comes to mind, they are going to be strong this year even without him. They have Rob Ryan running that defense too (although the lockout will hurt a new defensive scheme). Houston will be a pretty good team if they signed him. Tampa has a ton of money to spend. They could sign him and have plenty left over to upgrade other weaknesses.
    I just don't see enough $$ left under the cap to sign Holmes (or a suitable replacement) AND someone like Aso, even if he took a paycut.

18. RunLeonRun

RunLeonRun Active Member

i still don't think people realize just how much aso would do for this team. cromartie isn't a pimple on aso's fanny(as chris russo would say, lol).

19. RunLeonRun

RunLeonRun Active Member

like I said previously, coming here provides him with a unique opportunity as a player. wherever else he goes he'll continue to not be thrown at. with the jets he'll be challenged.

20. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

if the Jets sign both Holmes and Edwards, yeah, Aso won't be a part of the equation.

But it's not a slam dunk that Holmes will get signed. He's going to want a boatload, and apparently Dan Snyder is prepared to give it to him.

I want this lockout to end, so we can finally see how FA will unfold and how it will affect our current roster.