2011 New York Jets Free Agency Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mr Electric, Jul 19, 2011.

1. JCotchrocket

JCotchrocket Active Member

No argument here. LT's not a sharp pass blocker, though.

Pass Blocking Efficiency- Running Backs

In terms of pass blocking efficiency, Tomlinson was in the bottom 15 last year and ranks as the second least efficient pass blocking running back in the NFL over the past three seasons.

LT helps the passing game by receiving. He's a tremendous receiver out of the backfield- he may be the best receiving running back in NFL history- and that's a huge outlet for a young quarterback. But he's not an effective pass blocker.

2. bibigon

bibigon Member

Tomlinson at his current number just doesn't make any sense. Like would you rather have Tomlinson or Dawan Landry? It doesn't seem close....

3. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Those numbers are off because LT sells the block, and then sneaks out of the backfield to catch passes.

4. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

I like McKnight's future potential as much as anybody, but there is no way we can go into next season fully relying on him to be a major part of the offense like LT was last year. Even in a reduced role LT will still be a big part of the team. He's good insurance for Greene, and he's an excellent pass catcher, plus he's a great guy to have in the huddle for Sanchez to lean on. I can't imagine he won't be back..

5. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

Tomlinson is great. Love that guy !!!!!!!!!!!!

6. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

I think the Jets will cut him and then re-sign him to a smaller deal.

7. bibigon

bibigon Member

I think this makes sense. Tomlinson probably wants to be here (how many other contending teams want him, etc...) and we probably need him here. I do wonder how much of a paycut he'd be willing to take though. He made like $2.75M last year and is scheduled to make around the same this year (albeit with a much high cap figure). He's probably not willing to go down to the veteran minimum however?

8. NickD

NickD New Member

John Conner's career stats: (All in Week 17 against Buffalo)
    8 Carries, 44 Yards, 1 TD, 2 First Downs, 16 Yard Long

That is not a lot of experience picking first downs.

You are full of shit. Conner is a blocking back. The Jets can use him rarely in misdirection plays, but we are not relying on him for key plays other than blasting the crap out of linebackers.

9. NickD

NickD New Member

McKnight will show up to camp out of shape and not knowledgeable of the playbook. Mark my words. Did you only watch Week 17 last season? He has skills, but has a lot to learn to be a reliable back with the Jets. LDT is required this season for us to be successful and to help McKnight, Powell and Greene be successful in seasons to come.

10. laxin

laxin Active Member

not gonna start a thread, but the Jets signed Tom Moore as a consultant today- pretty good news which will hopefully help schotty get his head out of his ass...On the LT, Mcknight subject- I would like LT on this team, but not at his price, even if he took a million away, that could help sign a potential starter like brodney pool, eric smith, or dawan landry. I do think mcknight is going to be really good this year though, could even have more potential than Greene.

11. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

We cant lose LT. He is going to bail Sanchez out on alot of short yardage pass situations. I dont trust McKnight, or Greene in that role yet.

12. Ulrich

Ulrich Member

Concerning who we can or can't keep, I'm having trouble believing that the news we've had about the cap is accurate. If there's a hard cap and a hard floor, that will piss off almost all of the owners except the few who are right in the middle: but it will also be against the best interests of a large number of players.

Free agency would become a crazy seller's market where the buyers have to spend a certain amount. This would drive up the price of valuable players considerably - the young and talented guys like Santonio or Cro. So the teams who need to reach the floor would invest in them at the expense of the guys they have. However, the teams over the cap wouldn't be able to pick up those cast-offs at their current salaries: they'd have to sign them for less or look to UDFAs. This would be a transfer of wealth from the so-so players to the elite players: despite the larger pie to redistribute, that's not very union-y.

Now I know that the hardest thing in a negotiation is to remember what you wanted to achieve in the first place, and stranger things have happened. Still, I think the final deal will allow for a lot of creative accounting.

13. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

You know close-to-nothing about football. Mark my words.

Joe McKnight put up over 170 total yards with backups blocking for him. I think it's safe to say that he knows the playbook.

14. laxin

laxin Active Member

Bart SCott said that mcknight looked really good in the player organized workouts- Bart Scott is not one to add fluff on people that arent working hard...pretty sure ill take his word and not yours on Mcknights ability and work ethic. Plus, if he came to camp out of shape he would risk losing a spot on the roster, i dont think he is that dumb.

15. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Would Eric Wright be a good enough stop-gap to help us out on man to man coverage / nickel packages? Would he even be willing to sign with us to compete with Kyle Wilson? He had a bad season last year, but the man with the help of the team / Thurman could help him bounce back in a big way?

Cromartie isn't coming back and the money he may demand is just too much

16. bibigon

bibigon Member

I think unresolved revenue sharing issue is the one that's going to determine how pissed off/thrilled the respective owners are going to be. If Jerry Jones is the one footing the bill for the Bucs to spend an extra $50M this year, then the Bucs are going to be pretty happy.

17. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I say we go after Reggie Bush release LT and let Bush assume Brad Smith's role on ST since we're gonna need another dynamic return man.
    A man can dream can't he?

18. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

So you're going to dismiss the latest progress to concentrate on previous mistakes? That's awful logic. So awful I dismiss your opinions and replace your thoughts with mine:

Its been reported that McKnight has worked out with his teammates and is staying in top shape to prove to his doubters that he can be a pro.

So your shit opinion is beaten by evidence of him being in shape.

Good day sir.

19. mj2sexay

mj2sexay Active Member

No. Some team is going to overpay the shit out of him, and Bush isn't a goal-line back. I could see the Chargers or Bucs throwing money at Reggie, and a tandem of Bush-Blount would actually be pretty nice. If you really want to replace Brad Smith, and not have to rely on a rookie I wonder if the Jets would be interested in bringing in Randle-El for the veterans minimum to run the wildcat.

20. Ulrich

Ulrich Member

I agree, revenue sharing is the main issue in all of this, but that serves my point: I doubt the high-revenue teams are going to want the system we've been hearing about - something around a 120m cap/110m floor - if it pushes many of them above the cap, and forces the small-market teams to go on a crazy spree with their money. Especially as that doesn't seem to be in the interest of most players.

I could be wrong, but I'm assuming there will be a lot of fudging to keep everybody happy, which makes it hard to foresee what Tanny's strategy will be.