2011 New York Jets Free Agency Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mr Electric, Jul 19, 2011.

1. If we lose Cromartie, I think you kind of view the # 2 CB and nickel spot as a "2A and 2B" type situation. Obviously you let Wilson compete for that # 2 spot. I thought Wilson got put in a tough spot last year and I really like how he projects long term. He fits Rex's scheme perfectly w/ his ability to bump and run as well as being a good tackler. But you also don't want to hand him the job, and you have to worry about the nickel spot as well. I think we target a veteran who maybe on the slight decline, but can play a tough nickel spot and fill in at # 2 if needed.

Curious what people think about Nate Clements? Guy was a top 5 corner before he signed that mammoth deal w/ the Niners.He's come back to earth and is no longer a shut down # 1.Still, he is a very good player, has experience in the AFC east, and I think you could mix and match he and Wilson between the 2/nickel. Supposively he will be cut when the lock out ends and it'll be interesting to see what type of salary he commands. Personally I think he'd be a perfect fit.

That aside, I think we'll have some fallback options w/ the aforementioned former Raven DB's as well as Eric Wright who still has alot of upside and will come w/ a personal scouting report from Rex's bro.

2. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

If we lost Cromartie and Wilson became the #2, who would cover Miles Austin and Dez Bryant in the Cowboys game?

3. thedoc53

thedoc53 New Member

uh Revis would be on Miles. Wilson on Dez. Don't really see why there is a question here. I wouldn't even worry about them, or even when Roy Williams is out there. The problem will always be Witten who had 94 catches and 9 TD's last year. That's a bitch of a matchup for any team in the league

4. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

If we can actually generate a pass rush then maybe we can do what our counterparts did and knock romo out

5. BK_Jetsfan

BK_Jetsfan New Member

Trying to shake the dust off my brain, but how are we in terms of backups on the O-line? We've had the most incredible run of luck with O-line health that may not continue.

6. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

Profootballfocus keeps suggesting Manny Lawson will not really cost much. I would like to see a speedster, and a guy who can drop back into coverage, and do it well.

7. Green Hurricane

Green Hurricane Footsteps Falco

Bastard.

I'm really intrigued to see the market for Brandon Carr. The kid can really play, if he wasn't playing across from Flowers he'd be thought of as one of the better young CBs in the game. If he doesn't want huge $$$ I really wouldn't hate to see him brought in. That said, I'm more on the sign a vet bus.

And another side note that is forgotten with all this lockout BS, Dwight Lowery's conversion to safety gets completely screwed up. Instead of having an entire offseason to learn the new spot, he might not even move now with just a month to prepare.

8. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Darrelle Revis would probably match up on the more physical of the two, so he'd probably be on Dez Bryant most of the time.

9. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

I agree.. Revis on dez... Austin vs Cro would be a good match up.. Too bad we won't see it

10. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Per rotoworld:

It looks like Chris Carr wants to start. I wonder if Rex Ryan can lure him to New York by promising him a competition with Kyle Wilson. Something like that could only Wilson a better player. Whoever loses would see tons of a time at nickel.

11. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

As much emphasis as Rex holds on the CB position, I just don't see them letting Cro go without a big fight. I know Cro is a retard, but he might be right about the importance of him being on this team. He may very well be the second priority of the Jets. At least in Rex Ryan's eyes.

12. BK_Jetsfan

BK_Jetsfan New Member

I think the problem is, with such a shortened, insane and probably overpaying FA period this year, I doubt they have much time to sit around and wait while Cro makes up his mind.

13. Vorrecht

Vorrecht Active Member

I don't see how a player that wants to start would be willing to compete for a starting job. Don't you think he'd be upset if he lost and then had to take a backup role? My guess is he'll go to a cornerback needy team like the Lions.

14. MagillaGuerilla

MagillaGuerilla New Member

That's who I want from the list, the Chiefs really want to retain him though. He was 2nd in the NFL in pass deflections with 26, some think he's just as good as Flowers...

15. joe

joe Well-Known Member

What's more important imho than Cro is Sanchez' progression and keeping those twin targets Holmes-Edwards would go a long way to that end (along with Cotchery/Keller).

16. bibigon

bibigon Member

The Chiefs have a ton of room under the cap. I tend to doubt we can really get Carr.

17. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

What do you guys think of Joey Porter? Played shit in the desert but maybe under Rex he'd be able to do more... also he's going to be very cheap...

18. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

Joey Porter is "all hat no cattle".

19. Mangold Goldman

i think honestly we shud let b edwards and cromartiie go

then sign holmes and also we shud sign.... NAMDEE ASAMUGHA

i think we r a defence team really and less of a passing team.

can u imagine revis on the one side and namdee on the other? sanchez u can just stay on the sideline

:lol:

20. JETSJETSJETS17

JETSJETSJETS17 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]