Predict the Jets starting roster

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Rockefella, Jul 8, 2011.

1. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

when did greene get hurt last year?i don't recall that.i felt the powell pick was to have a fresh bruiser for the playoffs ala greene 2009

2. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

He didn't miss any games because of injury, but he's constantly coming out of games with minor tweaks - ankle, ribs, etc.

The guy needs to get tougher.

Powell runs hard, but I wouldn't necessarily label him a bruiser. I think he'll be a change-of-pace style back in our system, because he runs hard, but he can also take off on some big runs. The kid's got a lot of potential as a one-cut back.

3. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

eh, I think they want a 3 headed monster for the future once LT's contract is up. McKnight turns into the do-it-all back, and Greene and Powell punish defenses with their running style.

Powell might be inactive for a few games this year. I know we both agree on McKnight seeing more touches this season.

4. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

with greene's style thats going to happen.he just needs to learn when to deliver the hit and when to get down and minimize the impact.

5. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Greene's running style is what kills him. I love his running style, because he fucks up defenders, but he hurts himself in the process.

He has to run smarter.

I remember something about Rex saying the same thing about the fact that he can't kill himself on every play. Its okay to run out of bounds every now and then.

6. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

I agree with you and flatjetfan about his running style getting him killed.

My main problem with Greene is that if he gets banged up, he can't help this team from the sideline. I think the coaching staff knows that too.

In my opinion, he only took the backseat to Tomlinson in the running game because he's fragile. LT is one of the best third down backs to ever play the game, but he shouldn't be getting more carries than a young, talented back like Greene. The staff has to limit Greene's touches and it hurts.

7. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

I agree with that as well.

So it does come down to Greene either running smarter or being relegated to the 3rd string back if Powell does become as dynamic as his potential will allow him to if Greene cannot stay healthy.

Either way, Greene won't be getting a big contract if he's resigned. I can see him being replaced because his skill set isn't exactly one that's hard to find.

8. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

That's why I'm thinking like this.

If Bilal Powell and Joe McKnight show that they're gamers, Greene will either be re-signed for an average contract or he'll test free agency.

As of right now, a veteran powerback that can't catch worth a damn can fill those shoes easily. In 2011, Greene will be given a chance to step the hell up and be a big time back - let's see what he can do.

I'm hoping Shonn Greene stays healthy because a 50/50 backfield of Powell and Greene and Joe McKnight as a 3DB is a scary thought.

#28 Mr Electric, Jul 8, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2011
  9. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

The running game in general kind of hit a brick wall in the middle of the season.

10. Vorrecht

Vorrecht Active Member

Offense

QB: Sanchez
    RB: Greene
    FB: Conner
    WR: Holmes
    WR: Burress
    WR: Cotchery
    TE: Keller
    LT: Ferguson
    LG: Slauson
    C: Mangold
    RG: Moore
    RT: Ducasse

Defense

DE: Wilkerson
    NT: Pouha
    DE: DeVito
    OLB: Thomas
    ILB: Harris
    ILB: Scott
    OLB: Pace
    CB: Revis
    CB: Cromartie
    FS: Leonhard
    SS: Landry

Special Teams

K: Folk
    P: Conley

#30 Vorrecht, Jul 8, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2011
  11. bojanglesman

bojanglesman Active Member

It's going to be really interesting to see who's going to be the big factor this year in the running game. The money would be on Greene, but I'd love to see McKnight become the explosive back that makes big plays despite less carries. The guy the defense doesn't want to see on the field.
    I wouldn't be surprised if Powell is inactive the entire season minus another Buffalo-type throw away game or multiple injuries.

I'm not even going to begin to try to pick the roster. Free agency is going to be a fucking madhouse this year.

12. VanderbiltJets

VanderbiltJets Active Member

I was reading through so I've got to ask: where exactly did he say that Slauson shouldn't start in '11?
    :beer:

13. RunLeonRun

RunLeonRun Active Member

thank you.

14. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

He said he predicts Slauson will lose to Vlad if there is a compeition at LG this year.

I don't see how a 3rd year player and 2nd year starter is going to get beat out by a 2nd year player and once again have someone new at LG for the 3rd time in 3 years.

Its not smart. Slauson played well last year for a first time starter, and will continue to progress at his position for the next few years.

Vlad's best shot is RT, or else he'll be a backup OL while someone else takes over the RT spot. I don't see how putting Slauson in a competition with Vlad is even remotely a good idea.

15. JdotGriff

JdotGriff Well-Known Member

When we drafted Powell this was the first thought that came to my mind.
    When Leon's injury ended his 2009 season and Greene was forced to step up he did an ok job. In 2010 when we let go of both of them and brought in LT i remeber Rex and other touting Greene as being the #1 back and LT coming to guide and back him up. Clearly that wasnt the case and left a taste of some dissapointment.

Drafting Powell really put a picture of Jones and Washington in my head (Powell/Mcknight).

How did everyone miss the one poster's starting line up including Cro/Holmes/Edwards

#35 JdotGriff, Jul 9, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2011
  16. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

He has Vladimir Ducasse starting over Matt Slauson.

...do some thinking...

That means Slauson wouldn't be a starter in 2011.

17. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

When he put another player in Slauson's spot.

18. emania55

emania55 Member

I think we retain Holmes, Ellis ,and Cro loose Edwards and Smith. But pick up Manny Lawson in FA. I also think Wilkerson will either start or be in for third downs.
    QB Sanchez
    HB Greene
    WR Holmes
    WR Cotchery
    WR Kerley
    TE Keller
    LT D'Brick
    LG Slauson
    C Mangold
    RG Moore
    RT Woody

LDE Ellis
    RDE Wilkerson/Devito
    NT Pouha
    LOLB Lawson
    ROLB Pace
    ILB Harris
    ILB Scott
    CB Revis
    CB Cromartie
    CB Wilson
    SS Leonhard
    FS Lowery

19. RunLeonRun

RunLeonRun Active Member

Hopefully they don't overpay to re-sign Cromartie. I don't think they will. He was far too inconsistent last year and he's terrible at covering slants and he's not at his best when he has to jam the receivers at the LOS. I'd rather re-sign Braylon and Holmes and start Kyle Wilson.

I'm hoping they go for Asomugha though. That would mean only 1 WR can stay.

20. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

I think the new guy here didn't get the Applebees joke or does not know the history behind it.

But it is kind of funny to see as a signature line.