Is Shonn Greene ready to explode ?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by dcm1602, Jun 3, 2011.

1. GatorGar

GatorGar Active Member

This will be Shonn Greene's year. I think a lot of us were expecting it to be last year, but I guess Schotty was too eager to use LT. In my opinion he used him too much, but LT did good for us last year. I'm looking forward to seeing Greene become the #1 RB. He's big, fresh, and powerful.

The only question marks are his injuries (whether or not he can stay healthy), and fumble problems.

2. Al Dorow

Al Dorow Banned

Hey, as long as you KEEP reading them.... that's all that really matters. I cater to masocists too, Kenny! Don't fear! I'll be back to satisfy your sick fetish needs. LOL

3. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

There's absolutely NOTHING to talk about football wise with the lockout.

Are you seriously bitching about this thread?

taper down the expectations, Al.....I can barely put up with your meaningless fingerpointing during the season.

4. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

Do us a favor and have your meltdown/banning early in the year please. Also, make it worthwhile so that the mods can ban you until the season is over.

Thanks in advance.

5. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

As long as he doesn't fumble, there's no reason he shouldn't get 15 carries a game. Assuming we run it roughly the same amount of times as last year, the breakdown in theory should go something like this:

Greene- 265 carries
    Tomlinson- 110 carries
    McKnight- 60 carries (Could be the change of pace runner to replace Brad Smith's runs)
    Powell- 30 carries
    Sanchez- 30 carries on scrambles, sneaks, etc.
    Conner- 25 carries

This is assuming Powell is inactive and/or last in the pecking order much of the season. The way they talk about him though I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up taking on a bigger role. If Greene were to get hurt, I think Powell would actually become the workhorse in the short term to preserve LT.

6. NickD

NickD New Member

That seems very reasonable. If Greene were to get 300 carries, then it would be a complete waste to have LDT on the roster, except that I expect McKnight to show up post-lockout out of shape and barely make the team, again, making LDT very necessary regardless. I'd say McKnight gets slightly fewer than 60 carries and Powell slightly more than 30. Powell would likely fill in a large amount if Greene gets hurt, but LDT would be the main back for at least the first stretch of games Greene misses.

For the 2012 season, I do not expect LDT or McKnight to be with the team.

7. kbgreen

kbgreen Well-Known Member

I was thinking - only if he eats a mentos while drinking diet coke.

8. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

I got to ask, but do you guys really expect Powell to be on the active roster ? sure there are plenty of teams that use a 3 back scheme, but 4 seems a little overboard.

Unless Powell can play special teams im not expecting to see him until the garbage games of week 17 comes up.

Is there really a point in having this guy show up dressed to get MAYBE 2-4 carries a game if that. I just feel like wed be far better off filling up those roster spots with extra dbacks and rotational guys for the front 7.

#28 dcm1602, Jun 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  9. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

I think there's going to be a game or 2 where one of the backs is out and Powell will be active and get a few carries. Or hopefully a game or 2 at the end where they can simply rest Greene and LT like they did this year letting McKnight play.

10. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Its possible, but with the threat of a shortened season I think that significantly reduces teams opportunities to rest starters.

And sure its possible if not likely that a halfback misses time at some point, but then the question becomes is this guy nfl ready.

11. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Yeah, I know exactly what you meant. The term is silly. It came about from fantasy football and is for people too lazy to write "1st string RB" or "starting RB" or "#1 RB".

12. Rockefella

Rockefella Trolls

I could see Powell getting carries to spell Greene here and there. He's a powerful back that could prove useful in short yardage and goal line.

13. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

I was on my phone and got lazy. You might see it again, just so you know.

14. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

I've already stated it's stupid and lazy. If you want to go ahead and keep doing it, then do it. Nobody is going to stop you.

Look at how much extra writing I made you do in this thread. If only you had written "1st string RB", then I only would have pointed out what Mehta wrote.

Now, as to why Mehta was guilty of "RB1"? Probably he plays fantasy football and thinks "RB1" is hip.

15. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

If only you didn't give a shit about something that nobody else gives a shit about, then we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Carry on, Cakes.

16. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

If you didn't give a shit, then you wouldn't have responded.

17. Klaus Casanova

Klaus Casanova New Member

It is not out of the realm of possibility that Powell is RB3 for the Jets by the end of the season. As well as a gunner on Special Teams, since most if not all of these players drafted after day 2 earn their way onto the roster by the good graces of one Mike Westhoff.

18. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Other huge issue with Powell is he hasnt had an offseason... at all. Hell I could be wrong but I dont think this guy has even met the coaching staff yet.

Sure he could photocopy a playbook from someone, but he hasnt had a chance to work with the coaching staff at all, which can make him a liability at times, and hell likely have issues with blocking which puts our franchise QB at risk.

And the same thing applies for special teams. I doubt this guy has met Westhoff yet, and it just seems like having him on the field would be a huge liability until he gets the chance to work with our coaches.

I mean if Greene got hurt and we NEED another power back I understand a quick promotion (but this would also mean hes had several weeks of coaching at the same time), but why put your franchise QB at risk when you have 3 abled talented backs ahead of him.

19. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

I was referring to the sporadic or random use of the term RB1. Nobody really cares about that, and if they do, they probably realize it's not worth commenting about and instead focus on the topic: S Greene's # of carries.

20. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

fixed your post for hipness