Wilkerson’s versatility suits Ryan’s creativity

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Murrell2878, May 30, 2011.

1. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_y...son_will_benefit_from_ryans_creativity_052011

Wilkerson’s versatility suits Ryan’s creativity

By Doug Farrar, Special to Yahoo! Sports May 27, 6:48 pm EDT

While it’s true that New York Jets head coach Rex Ryan is a character who lives at a quote-per-minute clip, it would be a mistake to underestimate the man’s coaching acumen. Not only has he motivated his Jets into reaching two AFC championship games in his first two seasons, but also Ryan is one of the most creative defensive minds in the game today. He’s apt to run anything from hybrid fronts, to cluster blitzes from the secondary, to “46” looks resembling what his dad, Buddy, put on the field for the Chicago Bears in the 1980s. Wherever Rex Ryan goes, great defense is sure to follow.

But if there’s one thing Ryan’s Jets have struggled to find, it’s consistent edge pressure from a pass-rushing end/outside linebacker. End Bryan Thomas(notes) led the team with six sacks last season, which is a far cry from the high production Ryan was used to from guys like Peter Boulware, Trevor Pryce(notes), Adalius Thomas(notes) and Terrell Suggs(notes) when he ran the Baltimore Ravens’ defensive line, and then its whole defense, from 1999 through 2008. The Jets tried to extract those types of numbers out of veteran Jason Taylor(notes), but it didn’t happen.

In that regard, taking Temple defensive lineman Muhammad Wilkerson with the 30th overall pick in this year’s NFL draft was an unconventional move for the Jets, but a good look at Wilkerson’s tape illustrates why so many teams were interested in the 6-foot-4, 315-pound player with tackle size and end agility. Wilkerson fits Ryan’s defensive schemes in several different ways – not only does he provide a lot of punch in the run defense from a three-tech or five-tech alignment, but also he can crash off the edge with the surprising speed that allowed him to amass eight sacks in 2010.

[​IMG]

Wilkerson’s college tape shows a player with extremely impressive consistency when playing the run by mirroring slide protection, slipping off blockers and stunting inside to crash into the backfield. As a pass rusher, he’s more about agility than hand movement – he’ll have to add a few moves to his arsenal to beat tackles outside at the NFL level, but the potential is easy to see.

He did benefit from scheme diversity, and a great example was the sack he picked up against Central Michigan late in the first half of a 13-10 win. The Owls ran a dual end-tackle stunt, and Wilkerson was lined up between the left guard and tackle. At the snap, Wilkerson split the initial double team before the guard peeled off to deal with the end stunting inside. He then blew past the tackle to take down the quarterback with one of his two sacks in the game. On that day, Wilkerson also forced a fumble and deflected a pass – even more indicators of his versatility.

Hybrid players like Wilkerson can get lost in the shuffle on bad teams with unimaginative coaches, but the rookie is in a very good position when he can actually hit the playbook live and benefit from the acumen of Ryan and his coaching staff. The Jets took a shot on Wilkerson as a bit of a wildcard, and he should repay their faith with an impressive rookie campaign and even better performances down the road when he has developed his technique at an NFL level.

2. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Well, when you put it that way... Awesome.

3. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

I like red arrows pointing at the QB.

4. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

If he is productive as a rookie I do not think you can ask for anything more.

I hope the fans do not get wild expectations for him and Ellis, as their potential will not be reached for a couple of years. He will definitely need a year or two of building strength and technique.

Remember in regards to Ellis, it took Pouha a long time to become a viable player. If management exhibited the same patience as fans Pouha would be somewhere else.

5. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

ahahah - you've been here long enough to know better than that. If they don't have 2 sacks each week one the bust talk will begin.

abyzmul likes this.
  6. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

The dopes will expect him to be some sort of Aaron Smith -esque player and their reason will be "he's a 1st rounder"

For Ellis, they'll want him to be like Jenkins because, "he's as big as Kris, so he should play like him"

I just want them both to step into the rotation and not be liabilities. Give the starters a break when they need it and keep the dominance flowing. I don't ever count a rookie season against a player, no matter how good or bad.

7. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

I read this on yahoo yesterday, awesome stuff. Excellent value at 30.

8. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

LMAO so true every pick is a bust if they do not start out all pro.

9. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

If they step in and are not liabilities the Jets are way ahead of the game.

10. Murrell2878

Remember all of the D'Bust threads we saw for the first few years of Brick's career? Now he's listed in the top 100 players in the league.

11. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

Hell yes, he is the poster boy for this and he is still under-rated. I think he has improved each and every year.

12. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Hell, we still had some dopes calling brick a bust in year three. "he's a top ten pick, he should be in the hall of fame or he's a bust" type shit. Unreal expectations are the work of true idiots and good trolls and we have more than our fair share of both.

13. fltflo

fltflo Active Member

These picks are all building blocks for the very near future. In two years they, Wilk's and Ellis will be the foundation of a rebuilding defense of the future. I am sure that Rex and Tanny have a vision of what they want this defense to look like in say 3 years. I would look for the Jets to draft a young LB'er and End next year if the prospects are there.

Rex is no doubt building a defense in his image and stocking it with players that will play Jets football as he sees it. I expect this year to be a learning expereience for both these players and time to catch up to the pro game. I have to believe the impact that they make will be miminal due to the lack of OTA's and the ability to be around the leaders much of the offseason....

Yet, if you take the above statement into consideration and these players help the team in there rookie year, then we really might have a couple of gems in the rough....

14. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Im not worried about seeing these guys be sack monsters.

I just expect to see our defensiveline not look like dog shit towards the end of the year.

Although I have to say my expectations are significantly lowered for these guys THIS year, since the lockout wont give them time to work with coaches/team trainers/playbooks etc etc.

So even if they do look awful, its impossible to tell if its due to Goodell and his bullshit

15. Murrell2878

I believe Wilkerson got a playbook on draft day.

16. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Still im sure everything is on a whole nother level from what he dealt with in college. And since its a Rex Ryan defense its got to be far more complicated.

Not to mention itl be months before he gets to actually practice them with the team.

Theres no doubt this crap is going to significantly hampen Wilkersons performance this year, along with every other rookie out there.

17. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Especially in this shortened off-season...

18. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Still it has to be incredibly worrisome having so much inexperience on the line this year.

I mean big Jenks is gone (for now), and its very possible that we lose Ellis as well.

Having 2 young guys step in (with no off season) and be asked to start (or significantly contribute), having 2 young guys who were UDFA recently to step up significantly and contribute (Devito Pitotua), and then having our only legit vet on the line being Pouha.

Dont get me wrong I believe in this defensive line, especially looking forward. But theres a very realistic chance of next year being a bumpy road for them. Although its hard to imagine our Dline sucking more than last year.

All I know is I REALLY REALLY hope they bring back Jenks/Ellis to take some pressure off these young guys and to help show them the way.

19. JohnnyThaJet

JohnnyThaJet Active Member

Plain and simple, Rex wants Wilk to be the next Richard Seymour , a kid whos got crazy heart, can play multiple positions in multiple schemes, and a leader on the Dline for the future. IMO, Wilk can play 4-3 DE and DT, as well as 3-4 DE same as Seymour. Give this kid a few years and he'll produce well.

Id actually say dont be surprised if Ellis (Kenrick) seems more productive at first than Wilk because of his massive size and his ability to stuff the run, but by the end of their careers Id say Wilk pans out as a better version of Shaun Ellis because of his versatility, but thats as long as Rex gets ample time with him.

#19 JohnnyThaJet, May 31, 2011
    Last edited: May 31, 2011
  20. Tenn_JetsFanatic

I hate that he is missing valuable training time at camp