L.A. Noire

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by mj2sexay, May 15, 2011.

1. Rockefella

Rockefella Trolls

I'm at the same point in the game and I'm already starting to get bored.

I feel like there is very little to do outside of the story line which is the same: find clues, ask questions, chase some asshole, find some more clues, make arrest.

2. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

word. :shit:

3. Rockefella

Rockefella Trolls

I'm happy I cancelled my preorder and got the joint from Blockbuster instead. Saved me $50+

4. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

That sucks. I was actually looking forward to this game.

5. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

These threads are great for helping to make purchasing decisions. Much like everyone raving about Red Dead, and they were right when I purchased that game, sounds like I will avoid this one.

6. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

A week into it, I'm about to send it back to gamefly and get my next game. I just made homicide and Im still yawning about this game..

7. Rockefella

Rockefella Trolls

Is gamefly any good? I have Netflix (only streaming) and love it but heard Gamefly doesn't stack up for the money. What's the word?

8. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

Well they are videogames so they are a tad more expensive than movies.

$22.75/mo for 2 games out at a time. It comes up to around $275 a year, which is just a little bit more than 4 games per year. You can also rent only 1 game for $16 a month...

I buy two games that I play year round. (Call of Duty, Madden) The rest are expendable....

If I go through more than 4 games a year, I am getting a good deal. Chances are, I will. And in cases like this, I don't waste money on games that are highly anticipated and I feel they suck after taking them out of the wrapper. Once you open a brand new game, it's value drops 50%. I'd be selling LA Noire back for $30 at gamestop, or trying to pawn it off on craigslist for about $45.

9. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Like I said, this turned out to be the "Avatar" of video games.

Completely premising a technological breakthrough, Rockstar neglected to finish the game.

There are only a finite amount of things you can "examine". When you examine a body, you can only examine the arms, coat pockets (where you always find letters, receipts or other incriminating evidence) or neck area.

They really need to expand on your limitations in what items you can examine, what questions you can ask, etc.

The fighting system is complete shit. I know they say you are a cop and your role in the game is to protect and make the community better and not focus on violence, but why have fighting missions at all?

This game is definitely on to something. I hope it turns out to be like Assassin's Creed. Where the first was redundant and boring, the second was absolutely amazing, and the 3rd took it to a whole new level.

Save your $. Hopefully if there is a sequel they will polish the game.

10. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

11. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

I was home recovering all day yesterday, so I decided to head to the store and pick up the game. Not sure why given all the negative reviews in this thread. I guess curiosity got the better of me.

Anyway, I played for a lot, and just completed the first Homicide mission. Graphics and acting are all cool, and I was surprised to see a lot of actors who played characters on Mad Men in this game. The crime stories keep me engaged.

That's pretty much it for the positives.

There is way too much hand-holding in this game. It's impossible to blow a case by making a false accusation, and none of your questions or choices have any real effect on the outcome. I was majorily disappointed by this. I'm not exactly sure why they make games way too easy nowadays. It would be nice if I were given enough time to think things out for myself, and put pieces together, but they literally tell you where to go next after every round of questioning and evidence gathering.

I'll still play the game because it at least entertains me somewhat, and it's the only game I'm playing now anyway. I just wish I could find a game like the old Sierra games that forced you to THINK.

12. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

All games these days are dumbed down. Remember the days when you would have a few lives to make it through a whole game with? Now you have an infinite amount of lives and you can't lose, or you have a game like this where even if you mess up, you can still win, except you get a lower score. It's silly.

13. jets_fan_in_fishtown

jets_fan_in_fishtown Active Member

Meh. there are still some really good games out there.

but i do agree. case in point, dragon age 2 and mass effect 2 were both very streamlined to appeal to the masses as opposed to hardcore RPG fans.

these games cost so much to produce now that if they aren't a huge hit, they can destroy a company financially.

but games like the original dragon age, demons souls, fallout 3/New vegas,valkyria chronicles, portal 2, etc. are all really legit. even mass effect 2, albeit it was dumbed down, was an excellent game

14. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

You posted a few links to the classic Sierra games. Now THOSE games made you use your head. My favorites were Kings Quest 5/6, Police Quest 3, and Space Quest 4.

15. jets_fan_in_fishtown

jets_fan_in_fishtown Active Member

anyone remember King's Bounty? that game was the shizzz

16. Jets201

Jets201 New Member

Yeah but who has the time to to keep playing levels over and over? It took me hours to beat the last level of Ninja Gaiden on Nintendo. Nowadays I just want to beat the damn game

17. PRPitbull

PRPitbull Active Member

I dont get the red dead and la noire comparisons, they're two totally different games. all they have in common is the company that makes them, Rockstar. Im feeling la noire because its different. if youre expecting gta, then dont get this. Youre playing a detective, gotta pay attention to the story, find evidence, and use common sense to solve cases. the only knock on this game is that it wont have any replay value after i beat it.

18. UninTY_128

UninTY_128 New Member

thanks to this thread. I'll rent Noire. :)

19. srqman1

srqman1 Tired of BS

A little off topic, but I hope the next Batman game has an interrogation aspect like there is in LA Noire. He's a detective first and foremost, and I'd love nothing more than to see Batman slamming a motherfucker's head in the table to get him to give an honest answer.

20. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

I have that shit pre-ordered.

PS - I'm close to platinium this game.

13/13 Newspapers
    95/95 Cars
    40/40 Street Crimes
    50/50 Golden Reels
    All Locations found.

I just need 5 Stars on all missions now, though that will take me awhile.