Jets like Cam Heyward

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Murrell2878, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

New York likes Heyward

The New York Jets need help at defensive end, writes Rich Cimini of ESPNNewYork, so Ohio State's Cam Heyward would be a solid choice.

A solid choice, but the Jets thought the same thing when they drafted former Ohio State lineman Vernon Gholston, who didn't exactly work out.

Heyward, speaking at the combine, on the comparison to Gholston: "We're two totally different players. Vern, they had him dropping at linebacker. You've seen my dropping abilities, they're pretty good [joking]. Me, I can play all over the line; I can play 3-technique and 6-technique. We are two different players. We had the privilege of going to The Ohio State, but we're not the same player. I'm never going to compare myself to him and I don't think he'll ever do the same."

Unlike Gholston, writes Cimini, Heyward can play tackle in a 4-3 scheme. On a 3-4 team like the Jets, he has the ideal body type to play the 5-technique -- defensive end. He's strong enough to be a two-gap player.

http://www.cleveland.com/ohio-sports-blog/index.ssf/2011/03/ohio_state_buckeyes_am_links_j.html

2. jetsbabe68

jetsbabe68 New Member

I know they aren't the same player, but I'm just having a hard time looking at the words LB, Ohio and draft in the same sentence. I trust in Tanny so we'll see...

3. ........

........ Trolls

I'm not sure why you'd be looking at the word LB when it comes to Heyward.

4. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

1. Cameron Heyward isn't a linebacker.

2. Get back in the kitchen.

5. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

This is a perfect example of why I missed you!

6. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

From everything I've read about Heyward (Craig Ironheads son I believe) hes great at stopping the run, and thats about it, not much of a pass rush. But then we do have Rex who seems to have the Midas touch 99.9% of the time.
    Not my first choice

7. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

OSU hate is getting old!!!

Tell it to Mangold and Holmes you pussies.

8. ........

........ Trolls

He'd be a 3-4 DE. He has to free up others to get pressure more than he has to get pressure himself.

9. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Thank You.

I can't stand it either.

I could give a flying fuck what school they come from

10. gustoonarmy

#10 gustoonarmy, Mar 31, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2011
  11. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

Oh he gets a pass rush going

There have been questions of a inconsistent motor, which led to a disappointing senior year. However, I have been growing on Heyward lately(Took him in the 7 rounder over at the draft forum). I have seen and read that Heyward was designed to take gaps and create plays for the others behind/around him, so his gameplan was never to put forth gaugy stats but to help fellow teammates improve by taking out 1-2 OTs.

He has also been battling injuries, including coming off TJS. Its a concern but I was impressed by Heyward, especialy when he was spanking DeMarcus Love(I believe?) in the Sugar Bowl.

#11 BakerMaker, Mar 31, 2011
  12. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

The lack of OSU defensive players doing well is getting worrisome though when Vernon Gholston, Ashton Youboty, Bobby Carpenter, Anthony Schegel, Donte Whitner not living up to expectations.

Nugent also was a shitty kicker, regardless of where he was drafted so OSU has not been kind to the Jets besides for Nick Mangold.

13. gustoonarmy

I'm trying to find the article I read on him, it was fairly in depth about how adaptable he is along the line. Will post when I find it.

Doesn't look too good right now.
    edit:

#13 gustoonarmy, Mar 31, 2011
  14. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

They've become a bit of a WR school.

Their offensive players are now overtaking the storied defensive prospects the put out in the past.

15. Love the size, but I think NT is a bigger need when it comes to an infusion of youth. There are a few good, young DEs on the roster, but not really at NT.

16. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

DeVito is the only good, young DE on the roster.

Everyone else is vastly unproven. They aren't even acceptable rotational players yet. They can be, but not at this point in their careers.

17. And that is one more good, young DE than there are good, young NTs on the roster.

Among the second tier guys, there is Pitoitua and Gilbert, who are both more suited to be DE than NT. Who is the second tier young NT? Maybe Tevaseu, but he's more third tier. There is little young depth at DE, but more than there is at NT.

18. Coach K

Coach K New Member

Heyward is someone ive been watching closely at least the few Big 10 games I can catch.

he jumped out to me 2 years ago as a perfect 3-4 DE. also the versatility to be a 3 technique under tackle in a 4-3.

love his toughness if hes not moving his guy back hes moving sideline to sideline to put himself in position.

hes 2nd rd quality IMO though which makes it a moot point unless were trading back.

19. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

I take offense with the tern "white board."

20. colleen74

colleen74 Member

Why? Are you a board?