Bob Sanders visiting with Jets today

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Mar 2, 2011.

1. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Are you looking at the same list by Mack as I am ?

Almost all of those safeties he bolded are probably going to START at minimum 5 million a year and up (probably higher for most)

If Sanders is LUCKY the max he could be looking at is 2 million a year, possibly a little higher with incentives that would REQUIRE him to be healthy.

Would I rather some of those other safeties, ABSOLUTELY.

But most of them would require us to either give up draft picks (depending on the CBA), or just a ton of money. So the odds of any of those guys coming here is incredibly slim. The only one I even think is a possibility is Landry and thats because of the RR connection. But itll still require real $$$ on our part

2. pats-hater

pats-hater Active Member

Guy was so good. If he just didn't get hurt all the time...

3. ........

........ Trolls

Yes. As I stated earlier, I'd be ok with it if he signed for a contract around $1 million and if our options weren't reasonable from the FA class and the draft. The problem is, you have to play it safe with another safety signing on. That's not the case with some of the FAs we could look at, and the extra roster spot could go to one of our developing young DLinemen.

4. ........

........ Trolls

That's not what Mack was saying. At all.

5. ........

........ Trolls

You're overvaluing the safety class in terms of salaries and underestimating contract structure. There's a difference between Year 1 cap value and average contract value. With properly placed bonuses, we can put a low cap number on this year and wait until some of our bigger contracts hit restructure friendly years to absorb the larger hits.

I don't disagree, but again, his injury history means he has to be paired with an average value safety for insurance. I also think lucky for him would be $3 million. 2 is probably what he'll see if he waits until the CBA. I'd be worried about his health if he takes less money to sign now.

Again, you're overvaluing the safety position. No one this year will approach Rolle's contract numbers, because no one is as sought after. I think Landry could be had for $4 - 5 million per with the right guarantees and a friendly early hit.

As far as the draft picks, if RFA somehow sticks to 5 years (VERY unlikely), we'll have a ton of money to spend to boost the position, and still won't spend as much as you think is necessary.

6. ........

........ Trolls

What I quoted was all that was written when I replied. The rest of it doesn't really merit a response.

7. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

I wasn't trying to say that he said that. I just meant my opinion was some of those guys he had in bold would be better for us. I'm a little unsure on how our safeties would be. (if we kept our current guys)

8. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I don't see how you can sign this guy with any confidence that it makes your team better?
    Pay him by the game.No no,better yet, pay him by the hour.

9. inSANITy

inSANITy Banned

No one brought up the point that if we sign Bob Sanders our starting safeties will be under 5'10.... How will we guard tight ends?

10. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

And yet he would still have better stats that Vernon (sadly)

11. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

Sal Alosi has had more tackles in a game then Vernon.

12. DamierDoobies

DamierDoobies New Member

I think he would be better than Polamalu if he wasn't made of glass. With that being said I'm not sure he's worth the risk. Unless he takes a pay cut.

13. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

So Atogwe is reported to have landed 5.3 per. That seems to set that market for the other guys mentioned in this thread at the 4-5 per that has been speculated about. Gotta try to get a younger guy in for that price.

14. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Dawan Landry for 4.5 a yr sounds good

15. ........

........ Trolls

I agree with this statement.

The problem was you said you agreed with Mack in that post, but he was saying that the bolded safeties WEREN'T good options for us because they'd cost MORE than Sanders. You contradicted that completely, yet somehow stated you were agreeing with him. It was odd, to say the least.

16. Jets Dan

Jets Dan New Member

I hope you're right. Sanders is damaged goods. :manning:

17. alwaysthejets

alwaysthejets New Member

The Chargers announced that Sanders has signed with them.

18. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

And the Bob Sanders speculation ends

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports SS Bob Sanders plans to sign a one-year deal with the Chargers Thursday night.
    A bolt from the blue. Sanders had made visits to the Jets, Jags, and Bills, but the Chargers were never mentioned as an interested party. We're guessing the Chargers will still make it a priority to re-sign Eric Weddle at free safety, with Steve Gregory moving back to a nickel role. San Diego is a potential contender with a leadership vacuum on defense, so Sanders is worth the one-year gamble.

Has to make you furious that Atogwe could of been gotten so cheaply.

I easily would take him over Pool AND Smith.

19. ........

........ Trolls

If they ARE able to re-sign Weddle, it's a good move for the Chargers. They can simply revert back to last year's secondary when Sanders gets hurt.

I'll be curious to see what Sanders ultimately signed for.

20. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

I just want to point out that yet again this incarseratedbob clown was wrong.