WW85's RD 1 MOCK DRAFT..POST COMBINE 3/1/11

Discussion in 'Draft' started by WW85, Mar 1, 2011.

1. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Please make comments....Enjoy!!!

1) Carolina Panthers - Daquan Bowers, DE, Clemson.....Rivera goes defense.

2) Denver Broncos - Nick Fairley, DL, Auburn....interior line could use a force. Resigning Champ , they pass on Peterson....could be a mistake.

3) Buffalo Bills - Cam Newton, QB, Auburn......Buffalo's new identity begins.

4) Cincinnati Bengals - AJ Green, WR, Georgia.....Incredible talent falls in their lap.

5) Arizona Cardinals - Patrick Peterson, CB, LSU....if I was a Cardinal fan I'd be doing backflips PP falls to #5. Teams with DRC.

6) Cleveland Browns - Marcell Dareus, DL, Bama......BPA available.

7) San Francisco 49ers -Blaine Gabbert, QB, Mizzou......Smith era over, new HC knows the importance of a good QB.

8) Tennessee Titans - Robert Quinn, DE, North Carolina...wanted Gabbert, sucks to be a Titan fan, Quinn is a good second choice.

9) Dallas Cowboys - Prince Akuamara, CB, Nebraska......Dallas had a tough decision, almost picked Jordan but went with a player that should help the secondary.

10) Washington Redskins - Von Miller, DE, Texas A&M....pass rush threat needed.

11) Houston Texans - Aldon Smith, DE/OLB, Mizzou....Perfect player for Wade's defense.

12) Minnesota Vikings - Julio Jones, WR, Bama.... Rice is a FA...pisses off the Rams.

13) Detriot Lions - Tyron Smith, OT, USC.....protects the franchise QB.

14) St Louis Rams - Corey Liuget, DT, Illinois....wanted Jones..settles for interior line help.

15) Miami Dolphins - Mark Ingram, RB, Bama...one of the most predictable picks in rd 1.

16) Jacksonville Jaquars - Brandon Harris, CB, Miami...most have Jax taking DL.....I'm helping an awful secondary.

17) New England Patriots - Cameron Jordan, DE, Cal.....Really shouldn't have fallen this far. Never say never, Wilson fell last year. TGG draftboard erupts and I have to ban half the board.

18) San Diego Chargers - JJ Watt, DE, Wisconsin.....Another player that fell, need on above teams overruled BPA. Really nice fit for SD.

19) New York Giants - Anthony Costanzo, OT, BC.......Good smart pick to help an aging O-line.

20) Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Adrian Clayborne, DE, Iowa....Tampa has to improve their pass rush.

21) Kansas City Chiefs - Ryan Kerrigan, DE/OLB, Purdue.....help opposite Tamba.

22) Indianapolis Colts - Nate Solder, OT, Colorado....Neglected long enough.

23) Philadelphia Eagles - Gabe Carimi, OT, Wisconsin.....OT s start to fly off the board.

24) New Orleans Saints, Martez Wilson, OLB, Illinois.....tough pick to decide. Wilson is rising as we speak. If he fell to the Jets it would be incredible.

25) Seattle Seahawks, Mike Pouncey, OG, Florida....Pete is a crazy bird himself and unpredictable..a possible All-Pro Guard is a good move.

26) Baltimore Ravens - Jimmy Smith, CB, Colorado.....Best CB available, stock drops some with character flaws, which I believe are slightly blown out of proportion.

27) Atlanta Falcons - Jonathan Baldwin, WR, Pitt...Big fast WR.....needs to grow up, a little immature.

28) New England Patriots - Justin Houston, DE/OLB, Georgia......Pass rusher Pats need.

29) Chicgao Bears - Torrey Smith, WR, Maryland....Cutler needs another taget so he can throw more bone-headed INTs.

30) NEW YORK JETS - AKEEM AYERS, DE/OLB, UCLA....combine #'s his stock drops. Ayers can cover and make plays....let's hope he has a chip on his shoulder and something to prove. May never be an outstanding Pass rusher, but will be a solid player that should be excellent in coverage and making plays in the backfield. I considered Wilkerson.

31) Pittsburgh Steelers - Derek Sherrod, OT, Ole Miss......Steeler's O-line is their major flaw.

32) Green Bay Packers - Muhammad Wilkerson, DL. Temple.....good fit in Packer's d.

2. Green Hurricane

Green Hurricane Footsteps Falco

Even though I've been pretty serious about my desire for the Jets to get a DE convert to play OLB for the 34, Ayers at #30 would pretty damn nice. I think the most intriguing aspect of his game is how versatile he could be in the defense. I believe he is a legitimate option anywhere from 43 DE, either D OLB, and 34 ILB. Plus, he also has the size Rex loves to see in his OLBs.

That all said, I don't think he'll end up falling that far unless some other guys jump over him. People can argue Kerrigan/Houston, because they could be in that late teens area anyway, but I'm talking about a Sheard or Acho.

Other than that, I don't see any major issues. That top 20 is getting stronger and stronger, to the point where a few guys that are in a lot of top tens will slide.

#2 Green Hurricane, Mar 1, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2011
  3. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

well here's to hoping the pats don't end up with that haul, jets fans would be leaping off buildings and the media knob-gobbling wouldn't end until the pats don't win the super bowl in 2011.

Ayers is a solid snag for the jets, I still think there is a chance when he goes to his pro-day his numbers improve which moves him up the board out of our reach...

4. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Players are going to fall....I really tried to find a place for JJ & CJ sooner, but another Player/Position trumped those guys.

When I do a Mock draft.....I set up my draft board (Top 50) and have a couple of needs for each team and try to make it work. I look at FAs, age of current players on their team, depth at postions and teams defensive and offensive philosophies.

I really put a lot of time into my selections.

Players always fall........it's just a fact about the NFL draft that a lot of people can't understand.

I appreciate comments, I'm not looking for credit...just trying to keep our forum active and exchange ideas.

5. casman02

casman02 New Member

Looks pretty good, I still think NO may go DT with Paea, though Wilson does fill a big need for them. Also I have Chi going OL and using another pick on receiver. Their OL has been pretty poor for a while.

6. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

As good as Peterson is, I think it's a lock Von Miller goes to Arizona.

Ayers falling would be awesome. I hope we'd spring to the podium if he's around.

As the Rams GM in the 7 rounder, if Jones isn't available it's going to be tough. I could see them going DE across from Long.

If Martez Wilson is available at 30, are you taking him over Ayers?

7. joeklecko

joeklecko New Member

Why do you think Carolina goes with Bowers? I just don't see it. They really like Charles Johnson and have some other good young DE prospects. The middle of their DL is crap. Their receiving corps is crap. Their QB situation is crap. I will be totally stunned if they take Bowers.

I really, REALLY hope you're wrong about the Puketriots. I might be jumping off a building if they get both Cam Jordan and Houston in round 1. If so, with Brady, the young D they already have, and all the other picks, the Jets might as well fold the franchise, they'll never get past NE.

8. JohnnyThaJet

JohnnyThaJet Active Member

WW great shit, I have a few questions about some of the decisions you made though and wanted to get your opinion.

1) As much as he shouldnt fall out of the Top 5 I think Patrick Peterson might fall to about 6 or 7 depending whos available for what teams. Do you think its a strong possibility that the Cards will pick a pass rusher over PP? Like Von Miller? Theyve needed to amp up the linebacking core and already have DCR. Another, angle you can look at is them picking Gabbert at 5 to try and secure Fitz for the future. Because at this point if they are unable to get a QB they wont be keeping one of the best WRs in the NFL.

2) Any reason why the Pats dont pickup Watt? Cam Jordan is great but Watt IMO is better and fits there system and also next to Wilfork? Now thats some scary shit.

3) With WRs like Mike Williams, Larry Fitz, and Crabtree do you think it would be a better option for the Rams to finally get a legit #1 CB like Harris and address the line in the next rounds? Theyve been getting smashed in the secondary for way too long.

Thanks WW and again great stuff as always

#8 JohnnyThaJet, Mar 1, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2011
  9. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Really, Miller is good, but not in the same class as Peterson. I see Peterson as an elite player.

I probably would, Wilson could play just about any LB position. He doesn't have great pass rush ability, but either does Ayers. Wilson is extremely intellignt, instinctive and a great football player and has shown he's a superior athlete.

10. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Ron Rivera is the HC...so I ruled out AJ and a QB.

Defense is my best guess for Carolina.

Bowers had an amazing season, he was unblockable. Bowers has gone thru some personal hardships and is extremely focused.

Carolina could use a pass rushing DE and IMO, Fairley isn't on their radar...I could be wrong.

11. CodeGreen

CodeGreen Active Member

Nice mock, I agree with you that Tyron Smith is going to be the first tackle off of the board with his athleticism paired with the fact that he bulked up to over 300 lbs

Like seeing Martez Wilson in round 1

Though I disagree with Bowers being the first overall pick, in recent history coaches tend to pick players opposite to the coaches strengths

12. MagillaGuerilla

MagillaGuerilla New Member

I think I ruffled GQSanchez's feathers by picking Julio at 10 in the 3 rounder, out him in a bind...

13. MagillaGuerilla

MagillaGuerilla New Member

And nice mock WW, really like seeing Martez Wilson in the 1st, just not to the Saints :)

14. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

I think Rivera will go defense as well, but everyone thought the same thing about Rex Ryan too...and then the Jets traded up for the Sanchize.

New regimes usually want their guy. The only player I could see Carolina taking over a defender is Cam Newton.

Patrick Peterson could be the #1 overall pick.

Great mock by the way

15. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Appeciate the comments.

I mentioned in another post....Von Miller or Peterson...it's a no brainer. Von Miller is good, but IMO, not worth the 5th pick...Peterson is a steal at 5....don't look back. They way I look at it...Arizona could get Brooks Reed in rd 2 and Reed could drive from his apartment on draft day to Zona's headquarters.

Rd 1 Peterson and Rd 2 Reed......I'll take it...vs Von Miller and let's say Aaron Williams/Johnny Patrick in Rd 2.

I think Belichicken is higher on Jordan, just my gut feeling, but both are terrific.

The Rams need more help, but are a franchise that is headed in the right direction. Bradford needs weapons, but there is no value after Jones going to the Vikes. This draft, especially in rd 1 is very deep defensively. I went with interior help, secondary could use more help...good point.

16. JohnnyThaJet

JohnnyThaJet Active Member

Yeah for sure, Reed, Wilson, and Sheard all could be there for Arizona at 38 and a draft of PP and Reed/Wilson/Sheard is completely sucessful then drafting a lesser CB later like Williams, Curtis Brown,or Davon House. I see what your going for on that one.

Idk about Jordan Bellchick is high on him but Watt strikes me as such a Bellichick kind of guy, calm, cool, intelligent, and easy to mold. But will see come draft time.

If the Rams feel Harris isnt right for them I wouldnt be shocked at all to see maybe a team like the Eagles or Baltimore trade up for his duties. Eagles certainly can obtain the picks (trading Kolb) , not so much Baltimore but they can compensate.

17. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

heheh...

I don't think Jones lasts till 14 now. There's no way.

Ayers fell hard. His combine 40 was dreadful.

Bengals may take Gabbert and trade up for a WR with Palmer "retiring"

18. Sir

Sir New Member

Great mock as usual.

Just one quick question for ya. I agree that Corey Liuget is a 1st round pick come April, but you see him moving into the top 15? I see him more around the 20-32 range.

But asides from that no real problems from me.

19. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

This draft is pretty solid in the top 15. IMO, Liuiget will fall somewhere between 15- 32.

20. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

This draft is pretty solid in the top 15. Drafting Liuget was a little reach for me at #14. The Rams needed a WR, but no value was available. IMO, Liuiget will fall somewhere between 15- 32.