Ngata for 2 firsts

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by SuperBowl50, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Baumeister

Baumeister Well-Known Member

Ngata is a good player but he is not 2 first rounders good. I would rather the Jets pick players in the draft rather than trade then away. I have always respected Nagat he is a great player but that is way to steep of a price to pay.

2. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

This is pretty absurd.

Jenks missed 32 games in his first 5 years.

Ngata missed 2.

Ngata for a first is beyond a steal, the only serious issue would be his contract.

3. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

BINGO!!!

How about we sign our guys first, that means surrounding Mark with good talent. I'm not worried about the defense at all. I want Mark to dominate next year and I can see him doing that if we keep most of the same cast.

4. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

giving up 2 1st round picks for a DE is not only absurd....it's downright retarded.

5. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

Now I am totally against trading for Ngata unless for some reason we are unable to sign both Edwards and Holmes, then we might as well make the defense as good as possible. But since that won't happen I am against trading for Ngata.

Let me ask you this, forgetting Ngata for a moment, is there anyone in the NFL you would currently trade 2 first round picks for, that is not a QB?

Does it need to be a young (25<) once in a generation type of player? Or does that not even matter in your eyes? I can think of 3-4 non-QB guys I would give up 2 first rounders to get on my team.

6. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

The criteria for that is a player who can give you 8+ years of service and won't miss games and is a game changer on a weekly basis.

Only QBs get the 2 first round pick grade. Maybe a once a generation pass rusher.

7. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

not really.

but i guess if I had to pick a DE/DT to trade 2 1st round picks for (for the sake of argument).....it would be Suh.

Conventional wisdom would make me think long and hard about it though.

8. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Earlier you said Ngata wouldnt be worth 1 first round pick, for a guy who quite possibly is the best defensive lineman in the entire NFL, is quite versatile, has been incredibly healthy for a defensive lineman, and is just entering his prime.

For a single first round pick it would be almost as big of a steal as getting Santonio for a 5th, hell if he agreed (not gonna happen) to take a massive pay cut just to be here then he would be worth 2 1st rounders.

The ONLY SINGLE deterrent against him being worth it, is the fact this guy is the fact that he is going to command Peppers type money.

Theres NO way he ends up here, but to suggest that he wouldnt be worth a single first round pick is COMPLETELY absurd.

9. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

he's not...sorry to shit in your cornflakes....but that's my opinion.

4 years ago, sure. But not in 2011.

10. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

For 2 first round picks its debatable due to his age (at least another 6~ dominant years)

But hell you got guys like Pat Williams playing at an elite level at 38. I wouldnt be surprised if Ngata could be a top 3 defensive lineman for the next 5 years, and top 10 for the next 10.

But for 1 first round pick, you should easily have at least 20 teams interested.

How often do first round picks end up being a bust anyway? Looking at some drafts in recent years (04-07) seems like 35-45% of first round picks end up being complete bust .

#90 dcm1602, Feb 16, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2011
  11. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

No, double no there is no DE or NT for that matter worth 2 1st round draft picks, none. That isn;t even including the massive contract said player would require. A move of this nature is beyond retarded for any organization.

I would go so far to say, that any team making moves like this, is a team that will be looking for a new front office inside 3 years. The only way it would be doable would be if a team had 3-4 1st round draft picks. Even then the GM should require long long sessions of therapy.

12. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

we've had 1 complete bust in the last 6-7 years....2 if you count D-Rob, if you want to go back 10 years.

I'll take my chances with the picks, thanks......especially under this regime. Clinkscales, Tanny, Rex...these guys aren't retards like Terry Bradway.

13. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

I have a great idea........

Lets trade 4 1st rounders. 2 for Ngata and 2 for Suggs.

#93 Miamipuck, Feb 16, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2011
  14. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

We also had to trade up for MOST of those picks though giving up mutliple picks for almost all of those guys. I mean Revis cost us 3 picks , Keller cost us 2, Mangold cost us a few.

The ONLY guy we got in the last 6-7 years for a first round draft pick was Dbrick.

Of course Gholston too and he was a complete bust. And Kyle Wilson from last year hasnt even started his career yet so im not gonna count that at all.

15. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

Mangold cost us a few? a few what?

We got rid of that headache John Abraham, and fleeced the Falcons for Denver's 1st rounder (29th overall) in 2006....and selected Mangold with that pick.

16. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

How the hell is a debate about Ngata's worth still going on?

He's not worth 2 1st rounders. He's worth 1 to a desperate team that is stupid like the Redskins.

17. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

no shit.

this isn't rocket science guys.

Giving up 2 1st rounders for a DE that's in his prime....is something Al Davis would do.

18. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

We gave up a 3 time all pro de (who we drafted in the first round just a few years earlier) and a 3rd and 4th draft pick.

Im not knocking ANY of these moves we made, but the ONLY two guys we drafted for a normal first round pick was Dbrick and Gholston.

1 Success and 1 Bust

19. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

uhhh..we gave up a player that was a complete headache and didn't want to play for the Jets anymore. The 3rd and 4th round picks were just icing on the cake.

And in return....we have a Probowl center who's probably one of the top 3 Centers currently in the league.

Excellent deal for the Jets.

20. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

You've got to be kidding.
    The only thing more ridiculous than giving up 2 first rounds picks when we are up against the cap, is saying Ngata is not worth a single 1st rounder finances aside.

The guy is a top 5 defensive player in the league, and the best interior DL who happens to be in his prime.