Ngata for 2 firsts

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by SuperBowl50, Feb 16, 2011.

1. SuperBowl50

SuperBowl50 Member

Ngata got the franchise player designation, but isn't exclusive. Given we pick so late in the 1st and will probably pick late again next year, how about getting Ngata for 2 first round picks?

He can play all over the line and is exactly the type of player Rex loves. He's also a lot better than anything we can get with the 30th pick and next year's first is worth something like a low 2nd rounder this year, so it seems to me a very reasonable price. Thoughts?

2. ManlyGenius

ManlyGenius New Member

Yeah, have you ever heard of the salary cap? You'd have to give the guy a gigantic contract to get him to sign on here.

3. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Ngot gonna happen.

4. SuperBowl50

SuperBowl50 Member

Obviously, we'd have to pay a lot, but who knows what the cap number will be? I'd rather have him than any free agent we have right now (braylon, santonio, cromartie).

5. ManlyGenius

ManlyGenius New Member

He'll cost almost as much as any two of those guys. He might be the best defensive player in the league (Ware and Revis are close).

The calculation is something like Ngata or (Santonio plus Coleman plus Pool plus E. Smith plus two first round picks.)

6. Stanky Leg

Stanky Leg New Member

No way. I'm not a fan of mortgaging the future for a temporary boost today. Defense is not the issue on this team. I'm not really looking forward to 3-13 seasons 3 years from now because this team is capped out and sunk.

7. ........

........ Trolls

This is a joke, yes?

8. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

Ngata isn't worth a single 1st round pick....let alone 2 of them.

9. SuperBowl50

SuperBowl50 Member

I'm guessing something like (Ngata and backups) or (Santonio and Cro and the 30th pick and next year's first)

I'd still take Ngata. He's a guy hitting his prime that can rush from the line in the 3-4. He's good for 4-5 years at least. A line of Jenkins, Pouha, Ngata and DeVito? Wow. You really can't run on that ever. And even passing will be very difficult.

Our foundation has to be defense and a strong running game. We don't need both Braylon and Santonio and while I'd love to keep Cro, if he costs too much, I'd much rather have Ngata.

10. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

Okay smart guy... next step is to give him a contract. What's the brilliant plan for that? Psychotic idea.

11. SuperBowl50

SuperBowl50 Member

Like I said, he'll cost less than Santonio and Cromartie combined. Say a 7-year 80 million contract with 30 million guaranteed with a poison pill provision so Baltimore can't match. Santonio and Cro will cost as much or more over a 5-year period. I'd rather have 1 amazing player than 2 very good ones.

12. ManlyGenius

ManlyGenius New Member

Even if the cap is 140 this causes problems. Say we dump Woody/Thomas/JenkinsTaylor, Sanchez restructures, we get to about 108 million, plus 10 for Ngata (push his big years into 2012-2013), plus 7 for Harris (again, defer some of his money) and you have $15 million left, you start Cotchery, Patrick Turner and (in three wide sets) Logan Payne, your secondary is Revis/Wilson/Leonhard/Lowrey/Cole at nickle and Emmanuel Cook at dime, Westermann is a starting linebacker, Ducasse is a starting tackle, Rob Turner and Felix are your backup offensive lineman, you don't pick until the third round, and Marcus Dixon and Robbie P. are your primary backup defensive lineman

13. milcus

milcus Well-Known Member

We are not getting Ngata. Too expensive, and I think that Rex would rather get NA for that money, and go with 2 premier corners and a front 7 filled with guys we have, and guys we will draft.

And as good as he is, 2 1st's plus the contract he will want is just not worth it.

14. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

I'd say he's worth serious consideration for one first round pick

15. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

I disagree

We acquired Jenks for a 3rd and a 5th....when he was 28 years old.

Ngata is 27 years old.

16. ManlyGenius

ManlyGenius New Member

It's not really the picks-I'd give two Jets first for Ngata in a second if he made $3 million a year- it's the contracts.

The reality is you can only have so many high price players on a team at one point. Sanchez is really, really expensive. Revis is expensive. Mangold and Brick are expensive. Scott and Pace are expensive. Harris is expensive. Gholston is expensive and even if we cut him he takes up a lot of cap space this year. (Scott, Pace, Gholston and Sanchez are expensive in part because their deals were structured to give them low cap numbers in the past and defer their cap numbers until the end of their contracts).

17. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Jenkins had a bad attitude, weight problems and injury problems. Ngata has none of those issues

18. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

Why not just sign Shaun Rogers?

19. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

Jenks was healthy and still dominant at his position.

Regardless...Ngata still isn't worth a 1st round pick. Not for a DE anyway.

Maybe if Al Davis was running this team (ie Seymour trade).

20. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Considering all the interest he's getting I think you will run into similar contract issues.