Explain to me how Tannenbaum doesn't win executive of the year.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NDmick, Feb 9, 2011.

1. milo

milo Well-Known Member

Personally I'll take a guy who sits by his phone waiting for teams to trade Superbowl MVP's for nothing versus a guy who gets awards.

2. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

I'll take a guy who builds a Super Bowl winner over a guy who trades for Superbowl MVPs. Lucky for us I think we'll have a guy that does both. :)

3. JetRizing89

JetRizing89 Well-Known Member

he should get it based on the santonio trade alone

that one still baffles me

4. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Tanny's work recently has been more good than bad, but very much a mixed bag. Some of the good moves, like getting LT and Cro, he deserves credit for, for sure, but their willingness to come here in part was because they saw the Jets' approach as a great fit for each of them. Ryan also apparently was a draw to them. We want to talk about players wanting to play for Ryan, which I think is the case to at least some extent. Tanny can't take direct credit for how that plays out, imo.

I also think the situation with Revis, while certainly not all the fault of the Jets, was not all the fault of Revis and his agent, and that cost the Jets early in the season when Revis had his hammy issues.

Another big move last year was replacing Rhodes with Pool. Rhodes clearly had to go, but I think Pool on the whole was a slight downgrade.

It was fun watching the formerly hated Jason Taylor come here and he did make some plays, but that's pretty much the only move Tanny made to upgrade the woeful pass rush. It was not enough.

Tanny gets alot of credit, deservedly so, for bringing Holmes here. But in general the Jets have alot of high priced talent going FA right now. How great will moves like getting Holmes look if in this off season not enough of these guys are brought back?

That remains to be seen, but the imo biggest negative for Tanny is in the draft. Last year's crop let's face it at best has been mediocre so far and has potential going forward.

Taking all that into account, no way he gets any awards this year. Now, if he manages the Jets through the FA situation well, and some of last year's picks do well, and he fills some other holes in the draft this year, well maybe next year he might be in the running for GM of the year. But not this year.

5. sg3

sg3 Banned

did they give that award to belichick too

someday they may even win an untainted postseason game and god knows what awards the Peter Kings and John Claytons will give them when that happens

6. Wile E. Coyote

Funny, BB traded for a Super Bowl MVP too this year. I don't think he could win that award, though, the NFL isn't really sure what to do with someone who is the de facto GM, HC, OC, and DC of an entire team.

7. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

the difference is the mvp tanny got paid offin the playoffs

8. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

yea, dimitroff shouldnt have won it, but i think its ted thompsons award, in a land slide ... the final four rules would not have affected GB much anyway, thompson is not a big free agent spender

9. sg3

sg3 Banned

mccarthy should have been coach of the year too

and rodgers the mvp

not the "no postseason wins since wireless" duo of cheaters

10. Scottso

Scottso Member

Probably cause several of our acquisitions are now going to be free agents after we gave up draft picks to get them. The 2nd rounder for Cromartie will be especially painful.

11. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

that has nothing to do with 2010.

Those issues are all 2011.

12. Scottso

Scottso Member

That's one way of looking at it. Or you could look at it that he made those deals in 2010, so it should be considered. Personally, I would. If the Jets give up a 2nd for Cromartie and don't get him resigned. That to me will not be a good transaction. Getting him for one season for a 2.

13. IWillPeeGreen

IWillPeeGreen Member

honestly Ted Thompson should've easily gotten it

They had so many key injuries and people on IR, yet other players stepped up. The starting RB was James Starks, a 6th round pick out of Buffalo.

I understand why Mike Tannebaum didn't win it, the draft and regular season record. It's not a big deal anyway. I don't think Ozzie Newsome ever won it.

14. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

I mean, Tanny not winning this isn't exactly a knock on Tanny. Are people suggesting that anyone who doesn't win this stupid award is a shitty GM?