DT Shaun Rogers cut by Browns

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MikeHoncho, Feb 9, 2011.

1. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

Im fine with bringing him in and losing Ellis. Ellis will command a lot more money and this way we can draft a nice DE and have Rogers take over at NT. With Pouha Rogers Devito and hopefully a young DE we should be good. We also have Ropati who might be ready to play. He might be old but hes stayed healthy.

2. ManlyGenius

ManlyGenius New Member

Actually you can't trade anybody until there's a new CBA. We can't get rid of Pace for a round_ choice, even if we want to.

3. BookEndTackles 72&79

Since they will more than likely lose more UFA's then they bring in on a net basis they will be getting a couple of compensatory picks in the 2012 draft so that mitigates losing the picks somewhat. More than likely the picks will be at the end of the 4th round or maybe even the 3rd if someone like Cro or Holmes signs a big deal elsewhere. Holmes came here for a 5th so essentially you end up moving up in the draft after two years in exchange for a one year rental playing on the cheap. Cro came real cheap $$$ wise this year and they wouldn't be losing a pick on a net basis if he signs elsehwere. They would just be moving down 60-90 spots and picking a year later in exchange.

4. BK_Jetsfan

BK_Jetsfan New Member

This I actually remember well only because Revis was my #2 choice (boy was I fucking wrong). Other CB's who were hot were Aaron Ross (Giants) and Leon Hall (Bengals). All good, but we got the above and beyond best.

That said, I'm not a huge fan of trading up either.

5. ManlyGenius

ManlyGenius New Member

Well first of all you're assuming that the compensatory pick system will be the same under a new CBA. I have no idea if it will or not (I'm sure owners want something like it so they can say to their fans "we didn't resign X but we got a draft pick"-on the other hand players would rather this didn't happen so there was more pressure on teams, plus reducing the number of picks in the drafts is generally pro-layer.)

Second, the current compensatory system is funkier than that. They look at the number of guys you lost, the number your brought in, contract size, and performance by counting stats. Cromartie goes somewhere and has no picks because no one throws at him and then we sign a piece of junk who has five picks and voila, we might not get a compensatory pick for Cromartie.

The Jets are going to play a lot of guys they sign as free agents this year, and that's going to eat into the compensatory picks we get even if the guys we sign aren't as good as the guys we lose.

6. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

Also, those 2 guys would have been gone by the 25th pick which was where we were drafting. The next corner off the board after that was Eric Wright.

7. BK_Jetsfan

BK_Jetsfan New Member

Chris Houston actually. Just went and looked back, that was a pretty good first round. And looking at that is funny because I can remember some of the hype around guys who turned out to be busts. Makes the draft (and the varying opinions) a lot of fun.

8. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

Yeah I remember big hype around Aaron Ross.. and he turned out to suck.

9. BK_Jetsfan

BK_Jetsfan New Member

I will shamefully admit he is who I wanted over Revis.

10. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Pouha is the NT, not DE. Pryce was rotating in from the bench as DE. Rogers is not a heads up replacement for Ellis. Dixon is also an NT. Add Jenkins and Rogers and subtract Ellis, you have more NT's on the roster than DE's.

11. JustBlaze330

JustBlaze330 New Member

Holmgren did not make those picks, They were when Eric Mangini drafted them.. Still, being from cleveland and also a browns fan I was sad to see they let david bowens go, he was a class act.

12. Jet Blue

Jet Blue New Member

You don't necessarily need youth at the 3-4 NT spot.... I'd take Ted Washington right now.... If you can find a wide body that can handel it then so be it, age be damned...
    a #-4 NT is the definition of HOLD THE FORT.

For the rest of the defense I'd say getting younger should be a priority, especially LB.

Youth = Speed.

NT = FAT.

13. DisgruntledLionFan

DisgruntledLionFan Active Member

This board would go apeshit breaking down Rogers play on a weekly basis. Trust me.

If he's cheap, then it would seem to be a good fit. Looking for more than 15-20 snaps from him per would be a mistake, though.

14. Eternity

Eternity Member

Then they're not a lock to want Rogers who is NOT a traditional NT. His best position is a 4-3 DT or a 3-4 DE.

15. Eternity

Eternity Member

The point is Rogers would probably not be a 'big' splash. We only have a chance at him if his contract is going to be reasonable. If he's going to get a lot of money, he's not coming here.

16. Eternity

Eternity Member

Rogers is not a NT.

17. Eternity

Eternity Member

Pouha is a NT, Jenkins can play both NT and DE, Rogers would be a DE, with maybe spot duty at NT. Dixon???

18. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

I'm not really interested in bringing in Rogers. He is way too inconsistent

19. JetLife

JetLife Banned

well rodgers is an so so pick up we jus need to get younger

20. JetLife

JetLife Banned

tryna get to 50 posts real quick!