DT Shaun Rogers cut by Browns

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MikeHoncho, Feb 9, 2011.

1. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/02/09/report-shaun-rogers-among-browns-cuts/

Ok, I know there are threads on pretty much any player that becomes available and it can get a little annoying.. but here's a guy that fits a definite need for the Jets. A monstrous, athletic nose tackle that is very similar to Kris Jenkins. At 32 years old and coming off a kind of down year, he might be had at a reasonable price.

If the Jets are looking to move on from Jenkins and Ellis.. maybe Rogers can fill the void.

2. Tballlz63

Tballlz63 Active Member

the thought of jenkins, rogers, and ellis on the line together in their primes is a scary thought. sadly they are all far from their primes.

3. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

this is a good thread. 1 thing that sticks out is sanchez making this guy look like a clown the entire browns game.

he didnt start ONE game last year. he could come pretty cheap.

he has been on utter shit teams his entire career. he could come here on the cheap to win.

#3 JfaulkNYJ, Feb 9, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2011
  4. ........

........ Trolls

The decision to cut him now seems odd unless he's due a bonus at the start of the league year (whenever that is).

At the very least, discussing signing him could give leverage to get Jenkins to restructure if he wants to make a comeback. I'd be interested in Rogers if Jenkins retires and he seeks a decent contract. The nice part is, FA is looking awfully likely to start after the draft. It'll help to know whether a good young NT is available at that point.

5. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

He knows how to get pressure as a NT like Jenkins does/did. I'm not against this.

He'd absolutely love to play for Rex.

6. The team could use some depth in terms of NT size. This may be a good short-term possibility, though I still think they need to look at bringing in a young big body for that defensive line, namely a big NT.

7. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

I would argue that the line needs to get younger, not adding older talent.

8. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Weren't there talks about him being better at 3-4DE than at NT for the Browns? If he comes here cheap why not... although I would prefer the Jets to focus on some younger talent.

9. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

No question, I'd love to have this guy on our team. We should definitely inquire.

10. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

I agree about looking to add some young talent on the line at some point.. but he's only 32.. he could definitely play at a high level another 2-3 years. And unlike Jenkins he doesn't have a history of injuries. Plus, NT is a premiere spot in Rex's scheme.. a guy like Rogers who can penetrate the o-line would be a plus.

If they move on from Jenkins, I definitely wouldn't mind a starting d-line of Pouha, Rogers, DeVito next year. And if Jenkins comes back and they can rotate them all, that would be even better, although that's highly unlikely.

11. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

the Jets can draft a kid in the 3rd round who can learn from Jenks/Rodgers/Pouha. I think he'll be ok.

This team needs a kid who is 310-18 and can play all along the DL.

12. CodeGreen

CodeGreen Active Member

Btw the trio of ex Jets Eric Barton, Kenyon Coleman, and David Bowens were cut along with Rodgers...Not suggesting we get them (but I kind of liked Bowens when he was here) but kind of interesting to see all of these pieces Mangini wanted. And to think he could have had Sanchez but chose Kenyon Coleman HAHA

13. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

It ain't like that. The Browns needed much more than Mark Sanchez to be competitive, which was the rationale behind that trade. It worked out for us, not sure who they drafted with the picks they got but that's how you overhaul a roster.

14. Chrisp22

Chrisp22 Active Member

Interesting tweet by Chris Mortensen:

mortreport On the question of whether players like Shaun Rogers cut today can be signed immediately, the answer is YES

So what is Tanny waiting for here. Quality depth guy.

15. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

They kept trading down and got Alex Mack in the 1st round, I know that. And he's turned out to be an excellent center. Still.. when you trade the #5 pick in the draft, who you know is going to be a potential franchise qb, you need to get more than 3 or 4 average veteran players and a 2nd round draft pick. It tells you what Holmgren though of those guys now that he cut all of them 2 years after being acquired.

I kinda liked Coleman when he was here, but we basically have the same kind of player with DeVito now. Barton is nothing special, and neither is Bowens.

16. JohnnyThaJet

JohnnyThaJet Active Member

Shaun Rogers and 5 others cut from Browns

Roto:
    Maybe the Jets hop on this for Rogers or Coleman? This could get interesting.

Edit: Oops made this thread off my Droid, thought this would only be in the NFL forum but its in the Jets, merge or delete fellas

#16 JohnnyThaJet, Feb 9, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2011
  17. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Uh. Nobody knew he was a potential franchise QB. Everybody takes a risk with every pick.... You just said they got an all-pro center, some depth, and a couple picks in return. Yeah, a franchise QB is worth more than all that shit, but how'd EM turn our team around? OL-out, he was using the same formula over there but wasn't given a fair amount of time.

Those ex-Jets are being cut because they're switching to a 4-3. I'd take Bowens back as a backup ILB.

18. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

When you draft a qb #5 overall, you know he has the chance to be a franchise qb. The point is, he was basically trading a qb who is a top 5 overall pick for Kenyon Coleman, Abram Elam, Brett Ratliff, David Veikune, and Alex Mack. Usually when you trade the rights to a qb that high, you get a lot more than that.

19. NYJ_JD

NYJ_JD Member

You've gotta think that Rob Ryan is in the process of trying to get some of his guys back and bring them to Dallas.. and he's a coach that players want to follow. Basically what Rex did when he left Baltimore.

20. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

When you draft anybody anywhere, he has a chance to be something.....

They weren't looking for a QB, they wanted to shore up the lines and improve the team in several areas instead of one. I understand that method, we've seen it work. You're just being Captain Hindsight right now.