GM hints Gholston likely done with Jets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jetcentric28, Jan 29, 2011.

1. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

And his scouting dept. told him how much of a shitty idea it was.

I'm still convinced Mangini's overruling of the FO on Gholston had an equal part in his firing as the December collapse.

2. Trifco

Trifco New Member

You're being totally unfair to Don.

Oh you meant Gholston! oh, yeah, you're right.

3. milo

milo Well-Known Member

Ok Tanny didn't actually say Gholston's gone, but if you listen to his conference call (up now on www.newyorkjets.com) and the way he said it there's no doubt.

They asked him about Woody, LT, JT, Cro, basically everybody in question, and to all of them he said "we're not sure now but they've done good things for us and we expect them back."

Compare that to how he sounded with Gholston. He sounded like he wanted to jump through the phone and slap the guy who asked about him (Cimini if memory serves me right).

It's about as non-definitive as Sherry was.

4. ........

........ Trolls

Uh...

There's nothing we can do about that. He's already been paid all of that dead money.

5. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

Hey, Kris, about that contract...

Agreed. I wonder if he verbally staked his job on the pick in the draft room that day.

6. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

trevor pryce was on t.m.k.s. the other day talking vernon up.he doesn't think he's going to be here,but thinks he will be very successful in a 4-3.that makes me think that at leas he was a good teammate and must have showed something in practice along the lines of effort
    that said,nyj was in bad spot drafting 6th in a 5 player draft that year

7. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

I was surprised at how luke warm he was on Cromartie.

8. ........

........ Trolls

I was pretty gung ho about trying desperately to trade back and take Jonathan Stewart while filling needs with the extra 2nd we'd pick up. I wanted no part of that #6 pick because I saw how things were going to fall. It's fun going back now and re-reading opinions. I was pretty wrong about wanting Quentin Groves later, though.

9. ........

........ Trolls

One of my favorites:

10. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

oh no. please no. say it aint so

11. ........

........ Trolls

Here's Don's post bashing Gholston:

Scathing, Don. Scathing.

12. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

I'm happy... 2011 DL:

NT: Pouha, Tevaseau, maybe Jenkins on a min contract

DT: DeVito, Dixon

DE: Ellis, draft pick, Gilbert

13. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Seems a lot of people were wrong about Ryan (myself included, I probably didn't post about it but I didn't think he was gonna be that good...shows how much I know)

Whoa BradwaySucks thinks Vince Young has one of the strongest arms in the NFL? That's kinda racist

14. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Tanny cut Gholston 4 months ago, but Gholston couldn't find his car

15. nyjcanada

nyjcanada Active Member

Maybe that'll save you from winning Least Knowledgable this year.

16. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

i agree on front 7.

improving at the OLB position has to be the top priority.
    Gholston has no role and should be gone, and Taylor and Thomas offered very little. i wouldn't be upset if both were gone as well.

At DE, not quite as bad, but time to draft a guy who can be the future.
    In meantime, i'd resign Ellis for short term deal if around 1mil. He's versatile, always healthy, and maybe has 1-2 years of production left.
    Devito solid in the run game. Hopefully Ropati can turn into a role player. We need a player who can get at the QB on 3rd downs from the interior though.

Interesting take on Jenkins. I think he should def be back, as he is a guy who demands double teams, and can still collapse a pocket up the gut. Just needs to keep healthy, which i think means limiting his snaps. Pouha is solid. Of course, a big body in the draft never hurts either.

And of course, i think Harris needs to be resigned, even if his coverage skills aren't the best.

17. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

i was optimistic and liked the pick. i also was baffled on trading up for a TE who wasn't a blocker (Jolley flashbacks).

My draft instincts have been pretty good overall, but i was certainly 0-2 that year :eek:hmy:

18. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

a deal can be worked out though, so we dont have 5mil of dead money fucking our cap up.

19. ........

........ Trolls

Oh really? Please, by all means, explain how that would work. It's dead. It's been paid. As soon as he's cut, every bit of money he's been paid that has thus far been prorated against the cap accelerates and hits it immediately.

20. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

as much as people didnt like the pick you could never have predicted this guy would be THIS BAD... he has really gone far and beyond in making himself a bust. at least blair thomas scored a touchdown, johnny lam jones caught a pass, roger vick blocked people and scored a few tds himself.

the ONLY guy you could even possibly compare him to was ron faurot, who still managed 2 sacks in his short lived bust of a jets career. and at least he has the excuse of blowing out his knee before he could get a chance with another team.

it might happen but i just dont see gholston getting a contract with anyone else. hopefully for him he has made wise investments and can use his "education" at ohio state to further himself in life.